Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Texas kinda sucks for "overlanding" and camping. We've got very little public lands and only a faction of that tiny bit is vehicle accessible. Most are restricted to foot,bike,hoof travel. In Texas itself Big Bend is my favorite. I spend a lot of time in Arkansas because being in North Central/East Texas it's only about 2 or 3 hours away. New Mexico has some amazing travel and camping spots. Our only real off road areas are pay to play OHV parks that are fairly small like Barnwell, Hidden Falls, ect.

You're not too far from Sam Houston National Forrest north of Houston but not sure what they have for OHV type trails.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello Garrett, welcome from Oklahoma.

You are in the Southwest Region. Check out the Southwest Region sub-forum for local information and involvement opportunities.

Here is the link to the forum calendar and Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups
Or to check out what other members are planning go here: Overland Trip Planning

I am the SW Region Member Rep so if you have any questions let me know.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Any lake is good for camping but not offroading, most of our beaches you can drive on and camp on just mind the sand fleas. Everything else is dirt rd, offroad parks built for quads and side by sides, or private property. There are a few secret places in north tx that are still legal to the public as long as you have the ohv sticker from the game warden you will also need the sticker for any of the parks that arent 100% privately owned, pretyymuch need the sticker anywhere offroad in tx. The good stuff is in oklahoma, arkansas im a bit partial to the mountains though.

Kris022

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Houston, Texas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF5UXO
Hello from Space City! We'll be heading out to Hords Creek Lake next week for a weekend. A little getaway to start off our camping season. Like what Downs said, not much overlanding here.