Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Hello from Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Pennsylvania. I'm not new to the outdoors but I am to over landing. I'm looking forward to checking out the places I know of like the Pine Barrens and Bald Eagle NP as well as learning about new places and potentially meeting other OB members.
Bald Eagle State Forest is a neat area with "permitted" rustic camping or camp in any of the state parks. It is especially good this time of year as all of the gates are open to two tracks that are closed for 9 months out of the year.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
image.jpeg

Bald Eagle State Forest is a neat area with "permitted" rustic camping or camp in any of the state parks. It is especially good this time of year as all of the gates are open to two tracks that are closed for 9 months out of the year.
I was just there a week or so ago. I unfortunately only had the day to spend driving roads/trails and getting a feel for the parks but I'm sold. It's a beautiful area.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
We have always been a bit surprised at how empty it is. Yes, it covers a huge area, and if one explored all of it, it would take several days, but my point being. In our region it would seem that nearly every other vehicle is a jeep, yet when one goes into areas in Pa such as Bald Eagle, hardly an off road machine to be seen..

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
We have always been a bit surprised at how empty it is. Yes, it covers a huge area, and if one explored all of it, it would take several days, but my point being. In our region it would seem that nearly every other vehicle is a jeep, yet when one goes into areas in Pa such as Bald Eagle, hardly an off road machine to be seen..
Agreed on the widespread, typically mall rated, Jeepage. Shameful wastes of money but to each their own. We didn't pass anyone on the trails but it was a Friday and some like Negro Hollow/Old Shingle aren't for the faint of heart. I did see plenty of offshoots from the main trails that ONLY more serious off road vehicles could travel though. To me what I find most surprising is that I've lived in this state most of my life and only learned about the area a year or two ago.

jturn21

Rank 0

Contributor I

Ashland, VA checking in which is just north of Richmond. Just getting into overlanding. Hopefully I can find some places around here. Anyone have any suggestions?

Dog Party

Rank 0

Contributor I

Bringing this back up to the top. I'm currently living in Hampton roads, VA. Just getting into the "Overland" scene (I grew up driving gravel roads and camping off grid we just never had a name for it). I have a 2004 Toyota Tundra that's slowly getting outfitted. Anyone else in SE VA?
I'm down here in VA Beach. There seem to be a few of us down here in flat-land tidewater area. We need to organize a meet/greet!

Reactions: Nathaniel Elliott

TJinPA

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hello, I'm from the York County PA area, always keeping my eye open for new spots. Bald Eagle NP looks awesome, defintely gonna check it out. If anyone ever wants to check out my neck of the woods I'm always down for a Sunday cruise.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

SorrTrek

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Washington, DC
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Sorrell
Member #

Hello, I'm from the York County PA area, always keeping my eye open for new spots. Bald Eagle NP looks awesome, defintely gonna check it out. If anyone ever wants to check out my neck of the woods I'm always down for a Sunday cruise.
Add Anthracite Adventure Offroad Park and of course Rausch Creek. Rally at the Rock may be a little further of a drive for ya.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: SlowGo

TJinPA

Rank 0

Contributor I

Add Anthracite Adventure Offroad Park and of course Rausch Creek. Rally at the Rock may be a little further of a drive for ya.
Thanks! I've heard a lot about AAOP and I've been to Rausch. I'll have to look into Rally at the Rock. I usually steer away from "pay to wheel" parks but as you know, places to wheel are hard to come by in our area. Always looking for free, LEGAL places to cruise around and throw the hammocks up at.

Reactions: SlowGo and SorrTrek

ach078

Rank 0

Contributor I

Thought I'd post up here since I plan on frequently visiting Monongahela National Forest. I'm from Marietta, Ohio. Anyone plan on being around Monongahela October 6-9th? I know that Overland Expo East weekend, but I'm not gonna be able to do that big of a trip, and already planned on being in Monogahela
I'm from canton Ohio and new to overlanding. What's monogahela forest like and what type of rig will be needed. I have a 01 blazer I'm going to put a lift on and bigger tires soon.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Central Pennsylvania (Harrisburg) here. Though I grew up about an hour outside of Harrisburg. Still have a plot of land out there where I like to camp and get away.

Plenty of room out there for others if anyone is in the area and wants to camp. I've been exploring some local state forests like Tuscarora State Forest, Michaux State Forest, and Bald Eagle State Forest (a bit further away).

I'm making the trek to Overland Expo West in Flagstaff, Arizona in May.

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

sw NY here..between Erie, PA nd Buffalo..Within 3 hrs to Cleveland, State College,Pittsburgh,Rochester..5 to Columbus, Carlisle, Binghamton..7 to Beaver,WV, Alexandria,VA.. you get the point..

Reactions: Hank Outdoors