Has anyone tried the recovery product Bog-out?

• HTML tutorial

Fishiam

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sardena
Member #

Hello everyone. A buddy sent me a link to a product that he thought might be worth me carrying. I'm still building my rig and I know that these shouldn't be the only recovery gear I use but I just wanted to hear from you. Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Hello everyone. A buddy sent me a link to a product that he thought might be worth me carrying. I'm still building my rig and I know that these shouldn't be the only recovery gear I use but I just wanted to hear from you. Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have never seen these before, but i would wonder about keeping them 'straight and untangled' when in use. I also doubt their effectiveness, when compared to recovery boards which even with the cheaper ones (same price range as these), have a proven track record. I have also seen the separate type of recovery pieces which are like a shoe grip, where they are individually strapped between the rim spokes, with the idea of giving wheel grip as they turn. Ronnie Dahl, and some others tested them, and found that they instead DUG-IN....rather than helped extract the rig. Thus making a situation worse. Just a FYI....

One other caveat is being of nylon construction, when used in soupy or muddy conditions, they are going to become extremely dirty, and unlike recovery boards that can be 'banged' somewhat clean or 'high pressure washed' to complete cleaning, these will have to be washed with soap in a bucket, after almost every recovery. And where will they be put between cleaning and getting home. There is also the tire running over the....cross straps. After putting the tire across sharp rocks, the webbing will become frayed, and will eventually fail.

Just something to keep in mind. :coldsweat:........ I think I would look to better alternatives.......The Internet can be your friend.

GOOD LUCK:sunglasses:

PS........I read all the......."OUTSTANDING" reviews,......all 7. All of them 5 star. Somehow that worries me, rather than comfort me. Is it, or Could they, be internal level posted reviews by the company. It is known to happen. Amazon has had this happen. If there were 3 or maybe 4 star ratings, I would be more receptive to their reviews.

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
they have been around for a little while. All the reviews I have seen for the BOG-Out have been by corporate sponsors... no real world reviews. When first released, they were offering a discount to OB members, but due to them advertising on the forums I am not sure if they are still offering the discount codes.

Over the course of 3 months, the owner of the company spammed several of the recovery gear threads, so you can find them by searching his username. Anywhere you see it, he is selling his product.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Desert Runner

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

All you need are some Ratchet straps and a couple pieces of 2x4. This isn't a new idea you can find this and many other methods of bushcraft in the vehicle recovery army manual from the 1930s. Look up fm 20-22

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 64Trvlr and M Rose

Fishiam

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sardena
Member #

Thank you guys for the input. Desert Runner, I don't mind dirty but I agree with the lack of reviews.
M Rose, I'm still getting familiar with this forum stuff. I did a search and didn't come up with anything prior to posting my question. I appreciate the link. Even after all the spamming it looks like there weren't alot of interested parties. At least not ones willing to talk about their experience with them.
Boostpowered. Wow, talk about a wealth of knowledge. I appreciate the search parameters. That manual has a bunch of stuff in it.

CharlieS

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Vermont, USA
First Name
CHARLES
Last Name
SPRIGG
A bit late, but I have a pair of the bog outs, and they're handy. I also carry recovery boards, and other self recovery gear. These fill a need, and can get you out of a right spot, if you need to self recover and there is a usable anchor point nearby.