Ham Radio....This thing on? Radio check? QST?

• HTML tutorial

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
I’m curious - have you tried calling on the national calling frequency 146.520 FM at the top of the hour?

It’s possible you might catch someone who monitors that frequency. I think that would be about your best chance to make a random contact on vhf FM. I made a few simplex contacts testing my mobile install on the NCF.
I have not tried anything in a while to be honest. Most of the traffic around here comes from the Peak Radio repeater, and another small handful of smaller systems. Lots of people chatting those up at all hours. I tend to play on the local d-star system.

Anyways, that is enough about me, I don't want to hijack the thread.

Overland Commander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Woodstock, Cherokee County, Georgia, United States
First Name
Randell
Last Name
Beck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2QMS - The Commander
Service Branch
USN
I’m curious - have you tried calling on the national calling frequency 146.520 FM at the top of the hour?

It’s possible you might catch someone who monitors that frequency. I think that would be about your best chance to make a random contact on vhf FM. I made a few simplex contacts testing my mobile install on the NCF.
IN my area, traffic is most reliable at 8 Am and 5 PM. ... when the others are in thier mobile units....

Reactions: TerryD

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Glad to hear you got some validation on your setup! Consider joining us for the Overland Bound EchoLink net this Friday (and every Friday) at 5:30pm PDT. We meet on the Grits N Gravy EchoLink node, so install EchoLink app on your cell phone and go through the call sign validation process. Here's our informational thread on the radio meetup:
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/friday-night-ham-radio-net.21576/

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
Glad to hear you got some validation on your setup! Consider joining us for the Overland Bound EchoLink net this Friday (and every Friday) at 5:30pm PDT. We meet on the Grits N Gravy EchoLink node, so install EchoLink app on your cell phone and go through the call sign validation process. Here's our informational thread on the radio meetup:
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/friday-night-ham-radio-net.21576/
Not sure if I can ever make that time since I work on the west coast and typically have a date night planned for after work.

Attempting to register is a problem right now because the FCC portal is down so I can't pull my official license for confirmation.

Will keep trying and see where I get.

beck4u

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Patterson, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Becker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JAG
As someone mentioned earlier. An external antenna will help a lot. Inside the cab the HT won't get far. Pick up a little mag mount and you'll be good. We have a morning net transmitting from Mt Oso (Modesto area) M-F. Starts 7 and goes until about 8:30. 145.390 pl136.5 -0.600 Put on by Stanislaus Amateur Radio Association, SARA Club. I'm not sure how far south the repeater extends but you may be able to pick it up from Fresno, although I don't know if you'll transmit that far with a 5 watt HT. I'm fairly new too. Good Luck! 73 KM6JAG

Reactions: WareWolf MoonWall

Justin Brewer

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Tollhouse, CA, USA
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6FTD
Sooooo, I got my HAM radio license a few months back. I immediately re-programmed and jumped on my Baofeng handheld radio to key up on some local HAM frequencies. To this day....I've had ZERO response to my inquiries on the channels, my callsign, etc.

I have ensured that my frequencies and sub-tones in CHIRP are correct, and am using proper etiquette for keying up. In addition, I've tried multiple channels. I know my radio works as I have used HAM UHF/VHF frequencies with other friend off-roaders recently. Yet, when it comes to to local amateurs....nothing, no response, no feedback.

I'm beginning to believe that others who can hear me are disregarding cause they don't know my callsign and/or perhaps, I'm doing something wrong.

Any thoughts? I just want someone to talk to me! Even if it's just to let me know my radio is working. LOL.

#Lonelyhammer
One of the first things I did when I got my license is join a Net that's hosted by a local amateur radio club. I know the Clovis Amateur Radio Pioneers and the Fresno Amateur Radio Club has nets just about every day of the week. It's a great way to get your call sign out there and get on the air.

When I get back to the central valley later this year, that's what I intend to do.