Off-Road Ranger I

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
VA3IRA, checking in. As well I am one of Industry Canada's examiners located near Belleville, ON, should any lurkers want to write their exam in my area, there is no charge for writing it.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
I will be at expo east in the vendor section with American Adventurist. I plan to setup a small HF station if there is room.

Reactions: KC2BUN

Canyon15

Rank 0

Traveler I

Are you headed to Expo East?
I'm not. I'm really new here to the forum. Found it looking for places to some exploring and stumbled on the site. Looked like a good place to meet some folks and learn something. Where is it going to be amd when? I teach middle school so weekdays are out.
Noticed your from West Tenn. too. Do you check into any nets? I've been so busy lately that I haven't had the chance. Have a base station at the house with a 45ft. antenna.

Last edited:
Reactions: KC2BUN

bladerunnerkc

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Kansas City, KS, USA
Member #

my Callsign is KC1DGT in Vermont. I run a Yaesu FT-2900 2 meter only transceiver in my truck along with a Beofeng handheld i use as a Fire/Police scanner. i also sometimes use a FT-817ND HF Radio if i want to use 20 or 40 meters.
Like your use of the Beofeng for police/fire. Ours switched over to packet radio so I need to find a scanner that is capable of that now.

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

VA3IRA, checking in. As well I am one of Industry Canada's examiners located near Belleville, ON, should any lurkers want to write their exam in my area, there is no charge for writing it.
As a command post signaller in the military HF, VHF, UHF, microwave is what I did. However in civi street I have no clue where to start as licensing etc is new to me. I know all about how it works and licensed bands etc.
However what is the best place to start learning about the same but for the civil market. And what is the standard bands used in over landing.
I doubt we use HF but see VHF and UHF as the main comms but please correct me if I’m wrong. I’m in canada.

Reactions: 64Trvlr