Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
I think the Echolink would be way to have it. Its free and easy to set up. You do have to have your license so members thinking of becoming hams would not be able to attend the "conference". But its the only way to get all the formats together that would be out in Ham Radio. Also could connect when traveling or out of range from repeater. I have it set up on android phone and laptop and works great. My 2 cents Brent KJ7BHN

Reactions: 12poundtest

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
I think the argument for doing HF is to hon those skills and it would be accessible to anyone who is out on an expedition where they do not have access to the internet. Think of something like the merit time nets. It would also double as a safety net where some can call out for help if they are stuck or broke down off the grid and far away from help. Not necessarily a daily thing but if you know there going to be some listening two days from now it my change your decision if you are deciding to stay with your rig or venture off into the wilderness to "find help over the next ridge" (stay with the rig).

It has been a while since I have have been on EchoLink. Are there any HF links going these days. Maybe there is a way to tie the two together? I think there may be some legal issues to sort out as to who is the controlling operator. You could end up with unlicensed operators on bands they're not supposed to be on. But with some in control of the link maybe they can serve as the control operator.

Maybe they are two nets.

Maybe some people work as relays.

It is kind of along the same premise as the Overland Bound group. It doesn't matter how big your antenna is, Just get on the air!

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Techs have 28.300-28.500Mhz SSB voice but that's it for HF voice and right now 10m is very hit and miss right now. There is a 10m SSB contest coming up Dec 8-9.

The ARRL did request the Tech HF voice privileges be expanded to 75m, 40m, and 15m. Not sure what the FCC said or if they have even responded.

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
All three of the above were the reasons I was thinking EchoLink. Not everyone who might be interested in participating owns HF gear and not all of us are Generals or Extras. I plan on upgrading from Tech, eventually, but there's enough that I'm interested in exploring within my current licensing class that an upgrade is not that high on my to-do list. Plus, getting permission from the Boss for the purchase of an HF capable rig is an argument I'd loose at the moment. :coldsweat:

CKayaks

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Mountain View, CA
Member #

Check in..
KA6YAK (vanity sign) :)
Yaesu FT-8800 and FT-60

Only have the radio on when I'm offroading or caravaning with a group though. Has come in very handy in Death Valley and the Mojave. The range and quality of the 2m was a nice change after years on CB and FRS.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
All three of the above were the reasons I was thinking EchoLink. Not everyone who might be interested in participating owns HF gear and not all of us are Generals or Extras. I plan on upgrading from Tech, eventually, but there's enough that I'm interested in exploring within my current licensing class that an upgrade is not that high on my to-do list. Plus, getting permission from the Boss for the purchase of an HF capable rig is an argument I'd loose at the moment. :coldsweat:
Totally get the boss issue.

General is not that hard especially since you don't need to do the CW anymore. (Opened up for me. [emoji6] ).

Could also hook another ham who has HF. Maybe time the nets so that they lend themselves to local gatherings. Good excuse to do some "Mountain Topping" trips.

Community is built by communication both on the air and off.

Reactions: ru108

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
@KD7WCD totally agree on both points. I plan to upgrade before the question pool changes in June, but it’ll still be a while before I drop coin on more gear. Mostly to maintain domestic harmony, lol.

@Brentc17, regarding the nets, maybe start with a monthly EL net and see where it goes then expand out from that. At a minimum, it would be a decent gauge of overall interest and a base to expand to weekly and then special events?

Again, just typing out loud. I work rotating shifts and EL is something I can play with at work, especially on night shift, on my phone vs trying to get out to the truck and the radio.

Reactions: whiskey7backroads

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
@KD7WCD totally agree on both points. I plan to upgrade before the question pool changes in June, but it’ll still be a while before I drop coin on more gear. Mostly to maintain domestic harmony, lol.

@Brentc17, regarding the nets, maybe start with a monthly EL net and see where it goes then expand out from that. At a minimum, it would be a decent gauge of overall interest and a base to expand to weekly and then special events?

Again, just typing out loud. I work rotating shifts and EL is something I can play with at work, especially on night shift, on my phone vs trying to get out to the truck and the radio.
I am so new to ham radio I would not be able to coordinate and manage net...but I would be interested in helping set up and get the word out to other members. And also attend of course. I think we could ask a current echolink conference to see if we can use node for net or set up our own.

Reactions: KD7WCD

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
I’m new as well. Only licensed in September. I grew up around it, but just never got licensed. Now that the kids are grown and I’ve got a bit more free time, I decided to jump in.

I don’t know if I’d be comfortable as a net control either, but one of the things on my to-do list is to set up and play with my own node. Mostly is going to depend on what I can get away with with the HOA as far as antennas. If it can be done strictly computer based, at least at first, then that may be the route I go. I haven’t really researched it yet, but I think I might move it to the front and see what I can come up with.

Asking about using a current node is good too, so if anybody reading this has a node set up or knows someone that does and wants to help out and get more traffic on it, feel free to jump in anytime!

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
I am so new to ham radio I would not be able to coordinate and manage net...but I would be interested in helping set up and get the word out to other members. And also attend of course. I think we could ask a current echolink conference to see if we can use node for net or set up our own.
Some one to organize it is what is lacking. I would but my work schedule is so erratic that it is nearly impossible for me to run a consistent net.

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
I don't think you need anything except a computer and echolink account. I have that set up but as a user. I will look to see what it takes to host a conference. Maybe we could get 3-5 of us to get on echolink and hammer out how to go forward. I will will get back to group soon

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
I’ll work on it as well over the next week or so. I work tomorrow and Thursday, but have Friday-Sunday off, plus I go back on nights for two weeks Monday so I should have time to come up with some ideas we can good around.

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
@KD7WCD I work rotating shifts with every other weekend off, so I’ve got the time. Just not the experience (or guts?) to run a net, lol.

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
Echolink site says a single user can set up sysop mode and host up to 99 other users as a round table or net. It says you must have bandwidth which I have. If it gets or needs to be bigger then you have to apply for ibridge server software or find someone else to host. I have seen multiple sites asking people if they need a host. I would be willing to set mine up to test a net out with a few of us for a test run

Reactions: KD7WCD

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
It looks like I have bandwidth for 7-8 members at a time so it will only work for testing and gaining interest. I will explore what it takes to use an existing conference server

Reactions: 12poundtest

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
There has been talk of one in this thread but I don't think anyone has organized anything yet.
Brentc17 brought up Echolink in another post and it has me thinking. Perhaps we could put something together that spans the globe without requiring HF privileges. Anyway, I'll look into it. Not too familiar but looks pretty cool.

Reactions: KC2BUN

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
@KD7WCD I work rotating shifts with every other weekend off, so I’ve got the time. Just not the experience (or guts?) to run a net, lol.
[emoji4] Your in Louisiana? I've not run a lot of ham nets but have done a couple and do manage real time communications kind of like a net. Part of the trick is to come up with a script and a guide line of rules for the net.

Maybe start listening in and/or proticepate in some of them. If there is a Skywarn net or local EOC they usually run well organized nets. There are a slew of them on EchoLink as well. In my area there use to be a good Newbee net on UHF. HF has a lot to listen to as well. Remember even if you don't have the license you can still listen in.