Santa Barbara, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Rudd
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NG6S
Proud to say I just passed my Extra element, now the wait for the FCC to post my new license!
Great Job!!
I passed my upgrade to Extra yesterday as well.

I too recommend using HamStudy.org, I did all of my online remote tests with GLARRG VEC | Greater Los Angeles Amateur Radio Group VEC, and highly recommend them, very well organized, and an overall great experience.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Great Job!!
I passed my upgrade to Extra yesterday as well.

I too recommend using HamStudy.org, I did all of my online remote tests with GLARRG VEC | Greater Los Angeles Amateur Radio Group VEC, and highly recommend them, very well organized, and an overall great experience.
Proud to say I just passed my Extra element, now the wait for the FCC to post my new license!
Grats on the upgrade both of ya! Its not too bad once you look at the test material a bit.

Congratulations on the upgrade.
I need to start studying for my extra. I would like to take my test over the holidays I think.
I don't think you'll have any trouble with it at all, its really not the giant monster that a lot of folks make it out to be.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Grats on the upgrade both of ya! Its not too bad once you look at the test material a bit.

I don't think you'll have any trouble with it at all, its really not the giant monster that a lot of folks make it out to be.
No it’s not bad... I took a practice exam yesterday and missed passing by 2 questions. I enjoy electronic stuff, and radios, so most of it is stuff I already know.
Another reason I’m waiting for the Holidays is because then I will have had my ticket 11 months, and our club would like to see operators have their ticket a year before going for their Extra. So, it’s kind of a compromise between myself and the club’s policies.

Reactions: Ubiety

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
No it’s not bad... I took a practice exam yesterday and missed passing by 2 questions. I enjoy electronic stuff, and radios, so most of it is stuff I already know.
Another reason I’m waiting for the Holidays is because then I will have had my ticket 11 months, and our club would like to see operators have their ticket a year before going for their Extra. So, it’s kind of a compromise between myself and the club’s policies.
I don't see any practical reason for that policy whatsoever... I'm kinda scratching my head over any possible reasoning. There aren't any practical operation skills one might learn or have to practice before going for it. Back in the old days with doing code tests I might see a valid reason given the code requirements from advanced to extra was tough but thats not how it is anymore.

I suggest going for it and indulging your curiosity with antenna theory, exploring the in-depth use and theory of Smith charts and impedance calculations.

Reactions: Sparksalot

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I don't see any practical reason for that policy whatsoever... I'm kinda scratching my head over any possible reasoning. There aren't any practical operation skills one might learn or have to practice before going for it. Back in the old days with doing code tests I might see a valid reason given the code requirements from advanced to extra was tough but thats not how it is anymore.

I suggest going for it and indulging your curiosity with antenna theory, exploring the in-depth use and theory of Smith charts and impedance calculations.
The policy isn’t written on a stone tablet. It’s more of a guideline used to encourage new hams to get actively involved in the hobby. We highly encourage upgrading to General as quickly as possible. Then take our time to actually learn the ins and outs of the radio hobby. I think the biggest reason behind it is the lack of Techs and Generals within our club. I’m the only General right now, we have three new techs, and the rest are Extras. I’m pretty sure our President is having me hold back a bit to help mentor the techs to gain their General Privileges. He isn’t however discouraging me from getting my Extra. He just knows that initially I got my ticket for convoy coms and neither he nor I thought I would be falling this deep into the Hobby and he doesn’t want me to burn myself out and drop out of the hobby in a year or two.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

The policy isn’t written on a stone tablet. It’s more of a guideline used to encourage new hams to get actively involved in the hobby. We highly encourage upgrading to General as quickly as possible. Then take our time to actually learn the ins and outs of the radio hobby. I think the biggest reason behind it is the lack of Techs and Generals within our club. I’m the only General right now, we have three new techs, and the rest are Extras. I’m pretty sure our President is having me hold back a bit to help mentor the techs to gain their General Privileges. He isn’t however discouraging me from getting my Extra. He just knows that initially I got my ticket for convoy coms and neither he nor I thought I would be falling this deep into the Hobby and he doesn’t want me to burn myself out and drop out of the hobby in a year or two.
@M Rose
LOL, I got my ticket for the same reason. Someone gave me a Baofeng uv-5r for xmas and I learned I'd need my ticket to use it. The local HAMs don't understand that this is a 3rd or 4th level supporting hobby just to enable me to get out and go camping take pictures. The LAST thing I need is another hobby pulling at my wallet. The sad thing is that there is so many interesting things that can be done with a HAM Ticket.... AAAAAAAAAAH Need to stay OUT of the radio rabbit hole. :D

1602713567404.png

Boort

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I will add that being a General for about 5 years prior to testing for my Extra may have helped me as I had experience in operating HF (portable and mobile), building antennas, operating field days, operating some digital, etc that increased my knowledge base.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I will add that being a General for about 5 years prior to testing for my Extra may have helped me as I had experience in operating HF (portable and mobile), building antennas, operating field days, operating some digital, etc that increased my knowledge base.
This is exactly what it is for me... I don’t want to just have my Extra, I want to actually know the materials. I am thirsting for the knowledge. I know I can sit down and memorize A,A,B,D,A... but I really want to understand the questions, the theories, and the science behind it all. Every day I learn just a little bit more. I really think this is exactly why our club doesn’t want us to advance to Extra under a year...

Now just to be clear, I can go down to the EOC on Saturday and take my exam and they wouldn’t say anything to the contrary. They just want us to make sure we are actually ready for the Extra.

Just because I know the correct answers doesn’t mean I understand the correct answers. I want to understand which is knowledge:)

Reactions: rho and Boort

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@M Rose
LOL, I got my ticket for the same reason. Someone gave me a Baofeng uv-5r for xmas and I learned I'd need my ticket to use it. The local HAMs don't understand that this is a 3rd or 4th level supporting hobby just to enable me to get out and go camping take pictures. The LAST thing I need is another hobby pulling at my wallet. The sad thing is that there is so many interesting things that can be done with a HAM Ticket.... AAAAAAAAAAH Need to stay OUT of the radio rabbit hole. :D

View attachment 173653

Boort
My club understands this well, in fact most of them the radio hobby is supplementary to their other hobbies,

Reactions: Boort and rho

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
If you're ever interested in some light reading to start to know this stuff more... The ARRL Antenna Book is a good top level overview on the basics of antenna design and how RF works the way it does. Lot of cool topics to start diving into in there. I've heard that older editions have been more useful and had better info, but i haven't been able to track any down. Another good ref book is the Art of Electronics. Both are GREAT at really diving into some of the engineering behind our radios, antennas, signal propagation and how to start getting them most out of them.

My professional background is in space stuff, in which we deal with a lot of similar stuff... so most of my test studying consisted of skimming the books, getting a good grasp of the regulations and then just taking the tests. I guess thats why I find some of the lack of encouragement for going for higher license levels odd, as here (both work, and ham clubs here) we're very actively encouraged and pushed to learn and grow our knowledge. Knowing how to USE that is the other half of the battle, but making mistakes is half of that.

My personal backround is that I got into this silliness originally for offroading, then curiosity got the better of me and now I' m an extra, lol.
Then again I'm in the Bay Area, local ham clubs have been pretty entertaining groups, and generally have great talks. But we end up with a TON of super smart people in a small room... sometimes its good, sometimes its weird but generally its interesting. I never really got into it for the whole making contacts and talking to folk the way that some club members have gotten into it, but the hobby as a pure technical interest is what brought me here.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

My personal backround is that I got into this silliness originally for offroading, then curiosity got the better of me and now I' m an extra, lol.
Then again I'm in the Bay Area, local ham clubs have been pretty entertaining groups, and generally have great talks. But we end up with a TON of super smart people in a small room... sometimes its good, sometimes its weird but generally its interesting. I never really got into it for the whole making contacts and talking to folk the way that some club members have gotten into it, but the hobby as a pure technical interest is what brought me here.
@rho

That reminds me of going to Local Linux club meetings back in the 90's Basement room full of smart people sharing skills and talking about all of the cool things they were doing. I miss those kinds of get togethers.

Boort

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
If you're ever interested in some light reading to start to know this stuff more... The ARRL Antenna Book is a good top level overview on the basics of antenna design and how RF works the way it does. Lot of cool topics to start diving into in there. I've heard that older editions have been more useful and had better info, but i haven't been able to track any down. Another good ref book is the Art of Electronics. Both are GREAT at really diving into some of the engineering behind our radios, antennas, signal propagation and how to start getting them most out of them.

My professional background is in space stuff, in which we deal with a lot of similar stuff... so most of my test studying consisted of skimming the books, getting a good grasp of the regulations and then just taking the tests. I guess thats why I find some of the lack of encouragement for going for higher license levels odd, as here (both work, and ham clubs here) we're very actively encouraged and pushed to learn and grow our knowledge. Knowing how to USE that is the other half of the battle, but making mistakes is half of that.

I have been trying to track down a vintage ARRL Antenna Book. however in the mean time, the ARRL is having a sale this month, so I am purchasing a boxed set with the 2020 Antenna, Operators Handbook, and still trying to decide between a book on digital Hf or going with one about signal propagation.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force

Oh, now you’re talking nerd!

Reactions: rho and M Rose

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I have been trying to track down a vintage ARRL Antenna Book. however in the mean time, the ARRL is having a sale this month, so I am purchasing a boxed set with the 2020 Antenna, Operators Handbook, and still trying to decide between a book on digital Hf or going with one about signal propagation.
You’re probably going to get a lot of propagation stuff in the antenna book anyway.

Reactions: rho and M Rose

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
You’re probably going to get a lot of propagation stuff in the antenna book anyway.
You'll get a lot in there, but it'll be a fairly high level overview on the topic. getting into propagation from a space weather standpoint is a whole other rabbit hole to dive into, it's REALLY interesting

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
You'll get a lot in there, but it'll be a fairly high level overview on the topic. getting into propagation from a space weather standpoint is a whole other rabbit hole to dive into, it's REALLY interesting
Definitely so. I hesitate on my response because my copy of the Antenna Handbook was the current edition in 1989. I'm not sure how it's currently edited.

Reactions: M Rose and rho

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Definitely so. I hesitate on my response because my copy of the Antenna Handbook was the current edition in 1989. I'm not sure how it's currently edited.
The one i had a couple years ago was a bit lighter on the "theory of why" and had more practical examples iirc. I haven't been able to find it for a few years so i'm a little fuzzy on the deets.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
You guys have me committed into getting my hands on the newest edition of the Antenna Book. I’m still going to keep my eyes out for one from the 70’s or 80’s though.

Reactions: rho and Sparksalot