Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

The process is still a little wonky but it is possible to take the exams digitally. Josh (KI6NAZ) has done some great work and explained the process in a Google Doc. PLEASE read it carefully in its entirety before signing up.

Then read all of the Online Instructions for the exam (again, PLEASE read everything carefully before signing up)

[edit] I forgot to add: the cost is a $5 administrative fee via paypal to take an exam.

Good luck everyone!

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Yeah I'm not stuck at home, being a heavy duty truck mechanic means I'm one of those essential people. But the shop is so slow I may stay home a bit until work picks back up...

Whiteknuckler

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, Ca.
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6VBG
Very cool - please remind me again (or us) all levels of the exam - I believe there are three
I am a tech
Is it Technician / General / Extra ?
Since I am furloughed for a spell sounds like a prefect time to move up

Reactions: M Rose and J.W.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Very cool - please remind me again (or us) all levels of the exam - I believe there are three
I am a tech
Is it Technician / General / Extra ?
Since I am furloughed for a spell sounds like a prefect time to move up
You got it. There used to be more but right now there are 3 tiers in the U.S. Technician, General, and Amateur Extra.

MPLMNT

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Etobicoke, Toronto, ON, Canada
First Name
Dragan
Last Name
Grubesic
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZZI
I did my exam online yesterday.
Waiting on my call sign...

Anyone looking to do this I highly recommend it. It is the only way to get your HAM license right now. Apart from doing it with Anchorage VEC remotely.
Go to Hamstudly.org.(either study there for free or elsewhere)
Click on "Find A Session" in the top right corner and look for "GLAARG Remote VEC sessions" click there and read all the info carefully including the links.
It is as easy as it gets if you have done your studying ahead of time.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Anyone looking to do this I highly recommend it. It is the only way to get your HAM license right now. Apart from doing it with Anchorage VEC remotely.
Go to Hamstudly.org.(either study there for free or elsewhere)
Click on "Find A Session" in the top right corner and look for "GLAARG Remote VEC sessions" click there and read all the info carefully including the links.
It is as easy as it gets if you have done your studying ahead of time.
Congrats on getting your ticket!

Reactions: Ubiety

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

For anyone who is wanting to take the exam for their license or is thinking about upgrading, check out the W4EEY exam prep classes on Youtube. It's a good series and he has the reference handouts posted online (links below each video) so you can follow along with the class. If you combine those videos with something like Hamstudy.org for flash cards and practicing the tests, you should have no trouble passing the exams.

Then, like @MPLMNT mentioned, you can sign up for the online exam right from the Hamstudy.org site.

It's a great skillset to have and you can do it all from home!

Reactions: DaleRF and Ubiety

MPLMNT

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Dragan
Last Name
Grubesic
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZZI
Looks like I'm still out of luck. The reservation form for April is completely full and you cannot select May.

They have been adding classes on a weekly basis.
Send them an email (they have it posted there in the details) and ask them to kindly let you know if they ad more classes.
Or just make it a habit to check regularly. It is how I did it.

2 weeks ago there were none. This is all very new for them as well.
Be patient it will happen and remote testing will be more common as more and more VECs get exposed to it and word and demand spreads.
They are all in it to grow the hobby and are volunteers after all.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Looks like I'm still out of luck. The reservation form for April is completely full and you cannot select May.
Definitely keep checking. The Hamstudy.org link keeps adding new timeslots like @MPLMNT said, and the ARRL even released a statement that they are looking into doing something. I think there will be a lot more opportunities very soon.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@MPLMNT

About how long did the test take?
How similar is it to the format of the Hamstudy.org quizzes?

Heads up to anyone starting outon hamstudy.org, appearently I've been studying and testing w/o being logged in so all of the metrics I've worked up to were lost when I logged in. :(
Starting back at 0 bummer.

Boort

MPLMNT

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Dragan
Last Name
Grubesic
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZZI
@MPLMNT

About how long did the test take?
How similar is it to the format of the Hamstudy.org quizzes?

Heads up to anyone starting outon hamstudy.org, appearently I've been studying and testing w/o being logged in so all of the metrics I've worked up to were lost when I logged in. :(
Starting back at 0 bummer.

Boort
I passed the test in under 6mins with 100%.
The test format is identical format it actually uses the same software. All the practice tests are based on a pool of 400 question. Test only requires 35 questions.
Don't worry about any of your metrics. If you are passing the test regularly on hamstudy.org you will pass.
During the stay at home order I did the test every day about 5 times, I was more then prepared.

Also to all if you are using Hamstudy.org use that donate button or download the learning app for 3.99 they(He) deserves the support.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I passed the test in under 6mins with 100%.
The test format is identical format it actually uses the same software. All the practice tests are based on a pool of 400 question. Test only requires 35 questions.
Don't worry about any of your metrics. If you are passing the test regularly on hamstudy.org you will pass.
During the stay at home order I did the test every day about 5 times, I was more then prepared.

Also to all if you are using Hamstudy.org use that donate button or download the learning app for 3.99 they(He) deserves the support.
Cool, that is good to know. before I logged in I was passing every test I took, and had seen all of the questions and was showing aptitudes of 75% or higher on all sections.
Now to stay sharp until I can score a test spot!

Boort

MPLMNT

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Dragan
Last Name
Grubesic
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZZI
Cool, that is good to know. before I logged in I was passing every test I took, and had seen all of the questions and was showing aptitudes of 75% or higher on all sections.
Now to stay sharp until I can score a test spot!

Boort
You will pass!
Just stay sharp.
Also read all the requirements in doc so you are ready there as well.
Uncluttered room, Zoom, decent internet connection etc.

Reactions: Boort