Rank IV

Enthusiast I

San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, United States
First Name
Corey
Last Name
Lohr
Member #

I am looking at running a trip to the Grand Canyon of PA, anyone been there? I guess it’s actual name is Pine Creek Gorge. I am looking for information of places to camp. Anyone interested in heading out there? Thinking about April when spring hits.

Trad77

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lander, WY, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Hoard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0MUD
I worked out of Tioga County Pa about 15 years ago. I had a chance to go there with a few of the locals. The only thing I remember was how amazing and green that area was. I haven't thought about that place in a long time. Thanks for the reminder and enjoy your trip.

Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer

Some links to help out

Reactions: Dusther210

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
MQbackcover2020_1024x1024.jpg

If you are coming from the south you can follow dirt roads for quite a bit of the trip. I have already made the trip pretty much all dirt from Rothrock to Bald Eagle.

I have went from the Raystown map to the Pine Creek Map...but have not streamlined it for off pavement travel.

I can not wait to get a chance to explore the Pine Creek Map. We usually just use route 6 and drive pavement there. But I want to explore the dirt there.
.i have also hit a good bit of Moshannon/Quehanna also.

Here I my thread about getting through the 2 off pavement.

They are working on a few more maps that cover more of central PA.

You can also email the state forest individually and get their public use map and plot a dirt adventure with them too

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
@Dusther210

I suggest this weekend. Then a weekend in May. Then a weekend in June, etc...seriously though. Late spring early fall.

As I have gotten older and have slowed down I have realized in spring, as trees are getting leaves, they all have a different color leading up to turning green. Just like in the fall.

I would be in this area every chance I could get. Lots of history and nature here.

Any other questions...i would be glad to see if I can answer

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Awesome, I am still doing some research and we have a few other things to get but I'm hoping for a trip this fall.
Fall is a great time of year to be in the Pine Creek area.

If you are planning to reserve a spot to sleep...just know you may be very limited on what you can get.

I am hoping to be in this area next weekend scouting out some motorized campsites and 4x4 High Clearance trails.

Punk'n_Willy

Rank V

Advocate I

Macomb, Michigan, United States
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Riss
Member #

Service Branch
Navy Veteran
Fall is a great time of year to be in the Pine Creek area.

If you are planning to reserve a spot to sleep...just know you may be very limited on what you can get.

I am hoping to be in this area next weekend scouting out some motorized campsites and 4x4 High Clearance trails.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I was just out by Bald Eagle this past weekend on my way to dropping my kid off at IUP for the sophomore semester. A couple of other things going on but I'm hoping I can go out a few times before our first trip to get a feel for what we will be getting into.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
@Dusther210

I suggest this weekend. Then a weekend in May. Then a weekend in June, etc...seriously though. Late spring early fall.

As I have gotten older and have slowed down I have realized in spring, as trees are getting leaves, they all have a different color leading up to turning green. Just like in the fall.

I would be in this area every chance I could get. Lots of history and nature here.

Any other questions...i would be glad to see if I can answer
Thank you!
Im sorry I just saw this now, didn’t mean to keep you hanging since April