Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cantonment, Florida, United States
First Name
kenny
Last Name
ehresman
Member #

I am looking for a couple good spots to go to on our way back for a overnight camping site. I have seen the North there are a couple of places like Point Sublime. Can I get more details on this and any recommendations on where we can go. The Dyrt and other apps show some stuff but it doenst show places you can drive up and setup. I also know to just go explore, and find my own places just looking for some recommendations. I also know I will need a backcountry permit for some of these areas. Any help would be great on overlanding in the Grand Canyon.

OkieDavid

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Guthrie, Oklahoma
Member #

I'll just toss this out there for your consideration, the North Rim National Park facilities all close October 15th in preparation for snow. Weather is always fickle, so you never know...but you never know.

Last edited:

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Check it:

jim

Reactions: Michael Golden

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I'll just toss this out there for your consideration, the North Rim National Park facilities all close October 15th in preparation for snow. Weather is always fickle, so you never know...but you never know.
They don't close down access do they?

OkieDavid

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Guthrie, Oklahoma
Member #

They don't close down access do they?
It's listed as day use area only in the National Park in November. Of course, there's a lot more to the north rim than just the park but if it's too snowy to keep the main paved road open, what will the backcountry be like? I would strongly recommend the south rim in winter or the North Rim prior to October 15, but that's just me. From their website, effective Nov 1 it's day use. Here's the relevant text posted below. From North Rim - Grand Canyon National Park (U.S. National Park Service) (nps.gov)

North Rim Begins Transition to Day Use on October 16, 2021
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, public health measures are in place including capacity limits, temporary closures, and modified operations.

• The North Rim Season (with all services) is between May 15 and October 15, each year. Both lodge and campground are open.
  • Between October 16 and October 31, the North Rim is open for Day Use Only - unless you have a reservation to camp overnight in the North Rim Campground. Reservations can be made through Recreation.gov. >
  • The North Rim Visitor Center, operated by the Grand Canyon Conservancy, will close on October 15 at 6 pm. and the Roaring Springs Overlook Ranger Information Kiosk will close on October 17 at 3 pm.
  • The North Rim Backcountry Information Center will close for the season on November 1.
  • Between November 1 and November 30, the North Rim is open for Day Use only.
  • Water will only be available at the North Rim Backcountry Information Center at the North Rim Administration Building.
  • The Camper/General Store will offer limited groceries and retail items while supplies last. Operational hours will be from Tuesday through Saturday, 9 am.—5 pm. until November 30 or when State Route 67 closes, whichever occurs first.
  • The self-serve gas station, including diesel, will be available for as long as State Route 67 is open. It will only accept credit and debit cards.
  • Between December 1 and May 15, the North Rim is closed for the winter.