Goal: simple day to day life, small(ish), offroad capable – a Jeep Gladiator build

• HTML tutorial

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
With all this in now:

The build is DONE!

We are optimizing some small things here and there while packing the truck for a trip, but other than that, it's done for now. We are going to use it for a while now and then optimize what needs to be optimized. But I'm done for the time being. Worn out as well by this build.
One of the most impressive buildouts I've ever seen on one of these. Nice work!

Reactions: cug

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
Here are some more impression photos.

Storage for two camp chairs, easily accessible:

IMG_6594.jpeg

Rear door table space, this is where we'll cook most of the time, easy reach to the outlet for induction cooking or heating water. Easy access to filtered water:

IMG_6496.jpeg

And the passenger side with mosquito netting installed, not very nice looking, but practical:

IMG_6597.jpeg

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
So, navigation is also sorted. Offline maps for Maps.me downloaded for the upcoming trip, OsmAnd offline maps downloaded and iOverlander data in the categories that interest us converted and imported.

This is a zoomed out view of a part of our travel area.

IMG_0007.jpeg

And when zooming in, it shows more detail:

IMG_0008.jpeg

Primary navigation will be OsmAnd since we are likely offline for long stretches of the trip. Secondary/backup is Maps.me. And iOverlander2 as offline data backup.

Overall, lots cheaper and significantly nicer than a Garmin Tread. And much more flexible since I use the iPad for reading and other data as well.