First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi. I have the Garmin inReach Explorer®+
Satellite Communicator with Maps and Sensors. It connects to the iPhone but works also very well standalone. My experience is that the signal is better when closer to the windscreen instead of when mounted on the car dashboard. The only downside is that it is a bit expensive for something you hope you never going to need to use… By the way, iPhone 14 and 15 can now send satellite messages during emergencies. Apple introduced this feature with the iPhone 14 series, allowing users to send emergency SOS messages via satellite when they are out of cellular and Wi-Fi coverage.
My inReach is connected to my Android tablet which I also use for navigation. It comes in more handy to type messages on the tablet and sent it via the inReach instead of typing them on the supertiny device.

Reactions: Dimitri_Raptis

Dimitri_Raptis

Rank IX
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic I

Riyadh, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
First Name
Dimitri
Last Name
Raptis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Hi. I have the Garmin inReach Explorer®+
Satellite Communicator with Maps and Sensors. It connects to the iPhone but works also very well standalone. My experience is that the signal is better when closer to the windscreen instead of when mounted on the car dashboard. The only downside is that it is a bit expensive for something you hope you never going to need to use… By the way, iPhone 14 and 15 can now send satellite messages during emergencies. Apple introduced this feature with the iPhone 14 series, allowing users to send emergency SOS messages via satellite when they are out of cellular and Wi-Fi coverage.
My inReach is connected to my Android tablet which I also use for navigation. It comes in more handy to type messages on the tablet and sent it via the inReach instead of typing them on the supertiny device.
Could not agree more with you.

Reactions: El-Dracho