• HTML tutorial

pseebald

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate I

Brookings, OR
Member #

Hello all. This is my second offroad build and I decided I would document my build to show what I am doing an also learn from others.

Little background. I just completed a transfer with the military from New Jersey to Oregon[emoji3] . I originally had an 85 4runner as a build but decided I wanted something more comfy and geared towards overlanding. After doing some research I realized the 80 was a good fit for myself my wife and dog. After a couple month search I found a decent specimen (Along with the help of the OB community. Thanks guys!)

The 97 40th was a nearly rust free vehicle found in PA. I was amazed to find this on the east coast. A real unicorn! 220k miles and well taken care of. Original owner. Factory lockers

Some pictures

The seats were in almost perfect condition. I thought the condition was too good to be true but looking back I got lucky.

Reactions: SLO Rob

pseebald

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate I

Brookings, OR
Member #

My plan was to trailer it across country on our move behind a penske truck. Little did I know the rental trailers couldn't support the weight of the truck.

After finding out this fun fact I was a bit worried as I bought this about 2 weeks before I left. I did a thorough run through of the truck flushing out the grey mix radiator fluid a dozen times and making sure there was no gunk in it . I put the factory red back in.

As you can see it looks terrible.

Used a lot of this

Additionally I replaced the PHH by separating the solid line from the back of the engine to make any future fixes easier in the future. I didn't realize how irritating this project would be until tackling it.

As you can see I popped off the lower back tab. This was after much frustration as I wanted to not do it initially.

PHH attachment points

pseebald

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate I

Brookings, OR
Member #

I also noticed an oil leak from the front of the oil pump. I ordered the seal for the pump and the crank as well as new #7 Philips screws. I decided not to tackle this project to before the cross country drive as the risk outweighed the gain of a little oil leak.

So time to set up for the 3000 miles trip on a 19 year old vehicle. More to follow! I have completed this trip by the way just getting around to posting about it.

Reactions: SLO Rob

humming

Rank 0

Contributor I

whoa, that is the brownest radiator end tank I've ever seen! You need to replace that thing ASAP before it leaves you stranded!

Reactions: pseebald

pseebald

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate I

Brookings, OR
Member #

The plan was for me to drive the 26ft penske truck and tow our corolla. My wife drove the Land Cruiser on its first long trip. To sum up everything the truck ran great didn't overheat and I had to put very little oil in to make up for the oil pump seal. Below are some pictures of the adventure and out arrival.

pseebald

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate I

Brookings, OR
Member #

Initial build list includes:

Some sort of OME setup
35inch km2
4.88 regearing
Speedometer correction
Remove factory racks

Kaioken

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jacksonville, FL, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Casiano
Member #

Im going to assume USCG?

Anyways, I miss Oregon even though I was only living in Nor-Cal. Great place and will be perfect for that vehicle.

pseebald

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate I

Brookings, OR
Member #

Im going to assume USCG?

Anyways, I miss Oregon even though I was only living in Nor-Cal. Great place and will be perfect for that vehicle.
You are correct. Are you in as Well? I love it here I can't wait to get this truck out and explore the area.

Kaioken

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jacksonville, FL, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Casiano
Member #

You are correct. Are you in as Well? I love it here I can't wait to get this truck out and explore the area.
No, my wife is. I was in Sector Humboldt Bay until wofe went to A school in Petaluma. Im a former Marine but now i just work on cars.

Oregon is beautiful and you get the opportunity to explore washington, nevada and CA. Im jealous as i didnt get into this life style until i started heading out of Humboldt.

Reactions: RiverCityDave

pseebald

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate I

Brookings, OR
Member #

Quick build update. Parts ordered:

5 x 315/75r/16 Cooper STT Pro

OME J Spring and L shock suspension

Front axle and knuckle rebuild kit.

I just got the tires in. The suspension is partially on backorder so it will be here around mid September.

Reactions: RiverCityDave

black007

Rank 0

Traveler I

Good Looking truck! I wish my LX was this clean! Excited to see the truck on the new tires and suspension, I plan on doing an OME set up as well.

pseebald

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate I

Brookings, OR
Member #

Good Looking truck! I wish my LX was this clean! Excited to see the truck on the new tires and suspension, I plan on doing an OME set up as well.
Thank you very much. I'm ready to see it too the suspension is back ordered but should only be another couple weeks or so.

pseebald

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate I

Brookings, OR
Member #

UPDATE: The remainder of the parts are in. Including:

Knuckle rebuild kit

OME Suspension

Slee caster plates

Additionally ran into and issue with the steering cooler. There was a pretty bad leak. After doing some reading I decided to replace the stock cooler with one from summit as well as a relocate. I directly copied DiscoveredLC's write up on Ih8mud.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/power-steering-cooler-upgrade.456458/

Here is a before and after. As you can see the stock cooler is on the lower cross member. In the second picture the new cooler is right in the bottom front. Disregard my makeshift hood stand. I am in need of new struts for the hood[emoji15]

More pictures as the build/fix continues.

Next in addition to the suspension is to fix the oil pump seal and replaced fan clutch as preventative maintenance while i have it out.