Full-timers: how do you source fresh water?

• HTML tutorial

janders

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Redacted
We're designing a full-time (or maybe 6 months at a time) flatbed camper rig. I'm working on the design of the freshwater system and trying to decide between a built-in freshwater tank and using jerry cans as tankage. I think the difference is going to come down to how you source freshwater on the road. When we're out on longer trips right now, we usually find a grocery store that has a filtered water vending machine. We pay ~$.50 / gallon but we're more confident in the quality of the water. If we go with a built-in freshwater tank, we can't really use that option unless we also carry jerry cans. If we're gonna do that, why not just use jerries as the water tank?

So full-timers, are you able to find enough trusted freshwater sources from hose bibs to use built-in tanks? Do you use jerry cans? Does anyone out there run a filter system they trust to pull water out of lakes, rivers and streams?

(I've seen a few threads on this but none of them seem to have a complete answer or are more targeted to those who are on shorter trips and can fill at home.)

Reactions: grubworm

K12

Rank VII

Pathfinder I

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
We're designing a full-time (or maybe 6 months at a time) flatbed camper rig. I'm working on the design of the freshwater system and trying to decide between a built-in freshwater tank and using jerry cans as tankage. I think the difference is going to come down to how you source freshwater on the road. When we're out on longer trips right now, we usually find a grocery store that has a filtered water vending machine. We pay ~$.50 / gallon but we're more confident in the quality of the water. If we go with a built-in freshwater tank, we can't really use that option unless we also carry jerry cans. If we're gonna do that, why not just use jerries as the water tank?

So full-timers, are you able to find enough trusted freshwater sources from hose bibs to use built-in tanks? Do you use jerry cans? Does anyone out there run a filter system they trust to pull water out of lakes, rivers and streams?

(I've seen a few threads on this but none of them seem to have a complete answer or are more targeted to those who are on shorter trips and can fill at home.)
Generally for fresh water ill either find a free spot. which are very rare, or ill source it from a local rv park. Usually this is about $5-10 to dump and fill. Ive mever run i to not being able to find a place to fill. If you can look along your route you can always call ahead and see if its somethind people will allow. I know from experience that most KoA wont allow even if you are a member.

Reactions: Firemom

janders

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Redacted
Generally for fresh water ill either find a free spot. which are very rare, or ill source it from a local rv park. Usually this is about $5-10 to dump and fill. Ive mever run i to not being able to find a place to fill. If you can look along your route you can always call ahead and see if its somethind people will allow. I know from experience that most KoA wont allow even if you are a member.
Sounds like you can get away with a built-in tank, then yeah?

Dave in AZ

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Mac
@janders
Read this thread, and follow it's links. Look at their system, and Dan Grec system it was based on. Dan grec goes over his ob his blog, his book, and also in youtube videos. Worked for him all through Africa.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
That depends pretty much on where we are traveling.

We don't have a built-in water tank. That's already a big advantage from my experience. Because with a water canister, I can easily ask somewhere along the way if I can get water with it. This also works in countries where the population is poorer, because they are used to having to carry water from somewhere in buckets or containers and my canister is a comparable low quantity. In many countries there are also public pumps or you can get water at fuel stations. Here, depending on the situation, we sometimes filter the water if it comes from such sources. Sometimes - especially if the drinking water quality in a region is questionable - we simply buy larger containers of water in the supermarket and then separate the water for washing, showering, etc and drinking water. TWhen travelling in Europe you can get water at campsites or RV parks.

So, there are many options depending on where you are travelling and what is available.

Dimitri_Raptis

Rank IX
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic I

Riyadh, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
First Name
Dimitri
Last Name
Raptis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
That depends pretty much on where we are traveling.

We don't have a built-in water tank. That's already a big advantage from my experience. Because with a water canister, I can easily ask somewhere along the way if I can get water with it. This also works in countries where the population is poorer, because they are used to having to carry water from somewhere in buckets or containers and my canister is a comparable low quantity. In many countries there are also public pumps or you can get water at fuel stations. Here, depending on the situation, we sometimes filter the water if it comes from such sources. Sometimes - especially if the drinking water quality in a region is questionable - we simply buy larger containers of water in the supermarket and then separate the water for washing, showering, etc and drinking water. TWhen travelling in Europe you can get water at campsites or RV parks.

So, there are many options depending on where you are travelling and what is available.
Fully agree. In the UK I had a small water tank and there were always sources to fill it up, even in remote locations like the Scottish highlands. In Saudi Arabia, I have a 100 Litre water tank as the water requirements are much higher in hot weather. So it all depends on your needs. I also like modular options to be able to remove the water tank easily when not required.

Attachments

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Lake. Hose with a coffee filter on it. Pump. Ceramic filters. Tank.

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
We have 2 twenty liter Jerry cans which served us very well over 7 years of full time travel. As Bjoern said, travel destinations can be a bigger driving force when deciding between cans or an installed tank. We chose cans just for that reason. Even during the US portions of our travels we preferred the cans because we would seek out filtered/reverse osmosis water. We brought our cans into the stores to fill them at the pay per gallon fill stations. We also preferred remote, no services, campsites or when we did get a campground we would look for those with a central water bib and pit toilets. They were normally cheaper and also weeded out the type of campers we don't like to be around, especially in the shoulder and off seasons. We also have a Lifesaver 20L can but used it rarely, ultimately cutting the filter down to use the can as a rinse and shower station (we did carry a band new filter just in case). If you do install a tank and plan on traveling out of the US/Canada, carry a long potable hose and a water bandit.

Reactions: El-Dracho

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I can carry 52 gallons in onboard tanks.
I hit a KOA (or similar) that few crusty, hardened,rugged individualistic "overlanders" want to admit to.
For about $50 I get all the electric,water,showers and bathrooms I can use. Washing machines are almost always available and save me from packing a month's worth of clothes. Keeps me from looking and smelling like I escaped a Mexican prison.

Reactions: janders

Firemom

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador

Pioneer III

Rapid City, Meade County, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Deb
Last Name
Lee (Ironhorse Overland)
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKU
Service Branch
Army Reserves

Howdy.
We have a 40 gal tank in our Patriot Camper. Before the Patriot, we had a 10gal tank that rested in the footwell of the rear seats and a Jerry can. We’ve been full time now for 3yrs.
We love to source our water from rivers or lakes when we can. If not, we used to look for places that would let us use thier hose bib for free but so many places in the US have water meters now that we generally offer to pay $5 to $10 as that is what most RV parks will charge if you just pull in for water and aren’t staying. We will also sometimes stay at a state or federal campground with water hook ups when we are getting low.
When we first started out, we got a Guzzle H2O Stream portable filter. With that we have filled our Jerry Cans and then our tank from all the above systems. Still use it and recently pulled water from a very interesting source in southern Mexico. Have never had a waterborne illness. It comes with a long hose but we also added a Water Bandit and some other adapters/collapsible bucket for various source connection puzzles. Awhile back, we installed a Guzzle H2O Stealth filter system in the trailer. This filters the water coming out of the tank. Did this for 2 reasons. #1 we really don’t clean the tank as often as recommended because it’s hard to find someplace to dump 40 gal of bleach water and #2 sometimes we need to fill fast because there are others waiting and the Stream or any good filter system for that matter, is not fast. So we have the added back up of filtered water coming out of the tank. The portable Guzzle also doubles as a water pump to move water from a container we have purchased and/or filled from a distant source into our tank.
A friend of ours designed his system to only use the Guzzle Stealth to filter his outgoing water and always considers his tank water dirty. Works well for him as he is not full time and is able to clean his tank regularly. He uses a small water pump for water transfer.
Another full timer we know, uses his onboard tank only for dishes and showers. He has a separate container for his drinking water and ether buys pure water or filters it from wherever into his drinking container. He has a little battery powered pump that screws into the top of the container so it’s an easy button press faucet thing.

Our system has served us well throughout all of Northern and Central America. We have not had any experience on the other continents.

Have fun with your build. Full time/long trip travel is a wonderful way of life. Enjoy your adventure

PS don’t worry about water in Baja, there are Aqua Purificada station everywhere.

Firemom

Pioneer III

First Name
Deb
Last Name
Lee (Ironhorse Overland)
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKU
Service Branch
Army Reserves
I can carry 52 gallons in onboard tanks.
I hit a KOA (or similar) that few crusty, hardened,rugged individualistic "overlanders" want to admit to.
For about $50 I get all the electric,water,showers and bathrooms I can use. Washing machines are almost always available and save me from packing a month's worth of clothes. Keeps me from looking and smelling like I escaped a Mexican prison.
Yep.
We sometimes plan a stay at a KOA/State/Fed/privet/etc campground, specifically for the laundry/shower/water fill services. Although KOAs have gotten more expensive lately, so we tend to hunt out the others that have those same services. Or at least the water and showers. Then hit a laundromat.

Reactions: K12

janders

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Redacted
Howdy.
We have a 40 gal tank in our Patriot Camper. Before the Patriot, we had a 10gal tank that rested in the footwell of the rear seats and a Jerry can. We’ve been full time now for 3yrs.
We love to source our water from rivers or lakes when we can. If not, we used to look for places that would let us use thier hose bib for free but so many places in the US have water meters now that we generally offer to pay $5 to $10 as that is what most RV parks will charge if you just pull in for water and aren’t staying. We will also sometimes stay at a state or federal campground with water hook ups when we are getting low.
When we first started out, we got a Guzzle H2O Stream portable filter. With that we have filled our Jerry Cans and then our tank from all the above systems. Still use it and recently pulled water from a very interesting source in southern Mexico. Have never had a waterborne illness. It comes with a long hose but we also added a Water Bandit and some other adapters/collapsible bucket for various source connection puzzles. Awhile back, we installed a Guzzle H2O Stealth filter system in the trailer. This filters the water coming out of the tank. Did this for 2 reasons. #1 we really don’t clean the tank as often as recommended because it’s hard to find someplace to dump 40 gal of bleach water and #2 sometimes we need to fill fast because there are others waiting and the Stream or any good filter system for that matter, is not fast. So we have the added back up of filtered water coming out of the tank. The portable Guzzle also doubles as a water pump to move water from a container we have purchased and/or filled from a distant source into our tank.
A friend of ours designed his system to only use the Guzzle Stealth to filter his outgoing water and always considers his tank water dirty. Works well for him as he is not full time and is able to clean his tank regularly. He uses a small water pump for water transfer.
Another full timer we know, uses his onboard tank only for dishes and showers. He has a separate container for his drinking water and ether buys pure water or filters it from wherever into his drinking container. He has a little battery powered pump that screws into the top of the container so it’s an easy button press faucet thing.

Our system has served us well throughout all of Northern and Central America. We have not had any experience on the other continents.

Have fun with your build. Full time/long trip travel is a wonderful way of life. Enjoy your adventure

PS don’t worry about water in Baja, there are Aqua Purificada station everywhere.
Damn, dude. That was an awesome write up. Thanks for putting that together.

Firemom

Pioneer III

First Name
Deb
Last Name
Lee (Ironhorse Overland)
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKU
Service Branch
Army Reserves
Howdy.

Damn, dude. That was an awesome write up. Thanks for putting that together.
Your welcome.
We learned and are still learning so much from so many adventures. That’s what the overlanding community is all about. Share the knowledge and experience so others can get out there and see the world.

Reactions: K12 and El-Dracho

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

We have a 6 gal and optional 6 bladders that can be removed and filled anywhere. I also made an adaptor that connects to the drip pan on our AC unit that can add 1-2 gal/day depending on the humidity which is no problem in Fl. The optional bladder we put in the sun for nice hot showers. Water system powered by a marine washdown pump. Plenty of pressure even enough to wash the truck. Being able to stop at any beach then a freshwater rinse and back on the road is great.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Inventor I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I have a built-in tank in the trailer and have not had an issue in 2 years full time on the road.
Me also. We use a Brita filter pitcher and it's just fine. I've lived on two continents, three countries and seven states and never been sick from water or food from a restaurant.
Mostly because when I was a kid, I drank water from a hose. LMAO
Zim

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
We find that we can travel for at least 5 days with what we have in a 44L Frontrunner tank. We usually have another 4 or 5 L in our water bottles. For occasions when we are away from resupply, or in very hot climates, we'll buy another 20L in a supermarket before the "waterless chunk" of the trip.

For what it's worth, there's clean water available in most parts of the world - I believe that some people worry needlessly - check before refilling from mains water, however it's often just fine.