Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Echolink App (Android) instruction thread has been updated with new node info.

AA1PR

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Vermont Mountains
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Parie
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA1PR
Following up on Brent's comments above, the Starlink folks have created a flyer for us. It conveniently lists all the ways to connect. They mentioned D-Star is coming soon as well.

Following our net is a tech round table on the same node/frequencies. It's pretty interesting if you have radio tech questions or just like to learn more.

I'll attach the flyers below.
Thanks!
Ed - N7PHY
I find it odd ob net could have easily moved to 31655, its open and available
we have tried to cordially invite many OB members over there for months
not sure why that wasnt considered? it has a dmr bridge 315002405 as well and its an overland talkgroup unlike starlink
someone would just have to have an allstar node that is echolink enabled for that side of things

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
I find it odd ob net could have easily moved to 31655, its open and available
we have tried to cordially invite many OB members over there for months
not sure why that wasnt considered? it has a dmr bridge 315002405 as well and its an overland talkgroup unlike starlink
someone would just have to have an allstar node that is echolink enabled for that side of things
Hey Mike, Well it could of been considered but the owner of Grits N Gravy is who called to say he was moving us to Starlink since he owns both. So it wasn't us who initiated the move it was them and we were informed. We are certainly open to that but just reacting to him shutting down Grits N Gravy in a short notice situation.

Brent W7BR

AA1PR

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Vermont Mountains
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Parie
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA1PR
Hey Mike, Well it could of been considered but the owner of Grits N Gravy is who called to say he was moving us to Starlink since he owns both. So it wasn't us who initiated the move it was them and we were informed. We are certainly open to that but just reacting to him shutting down Grits N Gravy in a short notice situation.

Brent W7BR
OK its always there if anyone wants to use it, 73

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
OK its always there if anyone wants to use it, 73
Thank you for that offer Mike. As Brent mentioned, we learned the night before the net that we were being relocated and haven't had a chance to really discuss other options.
Really appreciate your offer! Ed - N7PHY

Reactions: AA1PR

AA1PR

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Vermont Mountains
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Parie
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA1PR
Thank you for that offer Mike. As Brent mentioned, we learned the night before the net that we were being relocated and haven't had a chance to really discuss other options.
Really appreciate your offer! Ed - N7PHY
Ok offer stands and quite a few of us there are OB members as well...

AA1PR

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Vermont Mountains
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Parie
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA1PR
Bring it up to the communications committee.
regardless of any committee the talkgroup is available to any licensed amateur radio op

hey its your loss not mine if you dont chose to use it

Im not holding anyone hands

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
Ok, lets take a breath here. Mike, it seems that we may of hurt your feelings by not reaching out to inquire about your Venture Overland TG before changing to Starlink. That was not the intent and in my mind not an apples and oranges switch. I am not very technical with this stuff but believe that the Venture Overland TG is not on Echolink but I know it can be bridged. We have about 75-90% of the participants coming thru on Echolink and that was the original focus. Its hard enough to get the new HAMs set up on Echolink much less try to have them connect thru other ways. I see Echolink as the platform with the widest footprint for all and with the addition to Starlink we will have more access points.

A little history about the formation of the OB Friday Night NET. There started being a push for OB members to become HAMS. With that we started the NET and had a lot of new HAM's including myself at the time. The amount of members has grown along with the percent of them that are HAMS. The Grits N Gravy crew and owners have been very accommodating to us and we have had no reason to look elsewhere. They decided on short notice to move us to a different server within their ownership. We view Venture Overland and Starlink Grits N Gravy as good partners and want to increase our participation with both, not choose one over the other. We will continue to support both.

I hope this helps explain some things and that you have a very good Turkey Day.

Brent W7BR

NorCalRam

Rank VI

Influencer I

Los Angeles, California, United States
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Barlage
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6MEU
Service Branch
Army
Unrelated to any issues above -
Can we get a solid list of all Overland Bound or other Nets, echolinks, starlinks or whatever the options are with times? Like a schedule? I could care less how its done just want to connect with people.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Unrelated to any issues above -
Can we get a solid list of all Overland Bound or other Nets, echolinks, starlinks or whatever the options are with times? Like a schedule? I could care less how its done just want to connect with people.
5:30 pm pacific on Starlink.

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
Reactions: M Rose

AA1PR

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Vermont Mountains
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Parie
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA1PR
Ok, lets take a breath here. Mike, it seems that we may of hurt your feelings by not reaching out to inquire about your Venture Overland TG before changing to Starlink. That was not the intent and in my mind not an apples and oranges switch. I am not very technical with this stuff but believe that the Venture Overland TG is not on Echolink but I know it can be bridged. We have about 75-90% of the participants coming thru on Echolink and that was the original focus. Its hard enough to get the new HAMs set up on Echolink much less try to have them connect thru other ways. I see Echolink as the platform with the widest footprint for all and with the addition to Starlink we will have more access points.

A little history about the formation of the OB Friday Night NET. There started being a push for OB members to become HAMS. With that we started the NET and had a lot of new HAM's including myself at the time. The amount of members has grown along with the percent of them that are HAMS. The Grits N Gravy crew and owners have been very accommodating to us and we have had no reason to look elsewhere. They decided on short notice to move us to a different server within their ownership. We view Venture Overland and Starlink Grits N Gravy as good partners and want to increase our participation with both, not choose one over the other. We will continue to support both.

I hope this helps explain some things and that you have a very good Turkey Day.

Brent W7BR
Brent I am not upset by any means
I am puzzled why venture overland wasnt considered if a move was being made or had to be made
it seems counter intuitaive to move to a large non overland group, where an overland group was already established and by OB members
I can very easily install a second node that is echolink accessible, but that seems mute now given this dialogue
again I will say, the talkgroup/dmr bridge is available to any licensed amateur radio op or OB ham member as so desired
Happy Holidays

Reactions: whiskey7backroads

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
Overland Bound Ham Radio Net for November 27, 2020.

Topic: - What you would like to see out of the NETs

Net Control: Brent W7BR from Olympia Wa

When: Friday, November 27th (North America) 17:30 PDT, 20:30 EDT, 00:30z

Where: Echolink Conference Server 357087 *Starlink* , also Allstar HUB Node 41120, IRLP Reflector 9256 or DMR TG-3148905.

This will be the first NET on the Starlink server and there will be more repeaters linked so please give time for the carriers to drop. Hope to see you all on the NET tonight!!!

See you then!

Brent (whiskey7backroads) W7BR

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hello Everyone,
I'll be your net control this evening for the Overland Bound Amateur Radio Net.

It's the 1st Friday of the month so that means we are talking 'Ham Radio'. Feel free to come with any radio related questions for the group. Or just let us know what you are working on and what you like to do in the radio-verse. Myself, in an unusual burst of motivation I built a 2 element 10 meter yagi out of scrap aluminum tubing and misc. antenna parts being thrown away. Not the prettiest thing but it actually works. I'll share a picture later in this thread.

Note: there are a couple of new 'features' to our net. First, Brent W7BR created an OB Rally Point for the net. This is a great place to let folks know if you might be attending. (see link below). Second, if you cannot stick around or do not wish to join the round-table please check in letting us know you are 'in and out'. This gets your call in the log and gives us an idea of how many people are around.

Thank you everyone who has joined us over the last 2 years making this so enjoyable. I hope you can make it this evening.
73!
Ed N7PHY

Net Details
Overland Bound Ham Radio Net for December 4,, 2020

Topic: HAM Radio - Q&A
Net Control: Ed N7PHY, Edmonds Washington
When: 17:30 PST, 20:30 EST, 01:30 UTC
OB Rally Point: https://www.overlandbound.com/event/ham-radio-weekly-net-2/

Where: Our net is graciously hosted by the Starlink White Mountain Repeater System group. Below is the current list of of nodes, hubs, repeaters, and links which get us on the air each Friday. For more information please visit their website at White Mountain Repeater Association .

Echolink
Conference Node 357087 (Starlink)

You may also connect through the following:
Allstar HUB Node 49842 Los Angeles, CA (Main Hub)
Allstar HUB Node 41050 Dallas, TX
Allstar HUB Node 49964 Atlanta, GA
Allstar HUB Node 49420 Los Angeles, CA
Allstar HUB Node 41120 Dallas, TX
Allstar HUB Node 49421 Atlanta, GA

DMR
DMR Reflector XLX830 Module (C) K4CEG
DMR Reflector XLX830 Module (D) AB5JK
Brandmeister DMR Bridge 3124829
Brandmeister DMR Bridge 3148905

Repeaters and Links:
KE6GVK 147.570 CLOSED Saint Johns, AZ
KE6GVK 223.420 PL 100.0 Saint Johns, AZ
K7RFX 145.550 PL 127.3 Tuscon, AZ
KJ7NWP 147.500 PL 127.3 Red Rock, AZ
KG7NVF 145.590 PL 127.3 Mesa, AZ
WB6IZC 446.800 PL 186.2 Temecula, CA
KS6R 223.650 PL 156.7 Long Beach CA
K6SIG 443.800 PL 156.7 La Habra, CA
AB5JK 146.620 PL 100.0 Uvalde, TX
AB5JK 444.600 PL 162.2 Uvalde, TX

Live Streaming Audio: (Anyone may listen in)

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
10meteryagi_installed.jpg

As promised here is that 10 meter yagi I hobbled together. It's very 'erector set' but I finished it off with a coat of flat black paint for stealth and it came out looking ok. Here is a link to the plans I followed. 2 element Yagi for 10 meters band - IW5EDI Simone - Ham-Radio

So far it's been working pretty well. Have made a bunch of east coast and South American contacts on FT8.
Ed - N7PHY

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
View attachment 179180

As promised here is that 10 meter yagi I hobbled together. It's very 'erector set' but I finished it off with a coat of flat black paint for stealth and it came out looking ok. Here is a link to the plans I followed. 2 element Yagi for 10 meters band - IW5EDI Simone - Ham-Radio

So far it's been working pretty well. Have made a bunch of east coast and South American contacts on FT8.
Ed - N7PHY
You have the same UHF/VHF dipole I have... did you buy it or build it?

Reactions: 12poundtest

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
We had a great net last night. Thank you everyone who joined or listened in.
Our check-in stations were:
KJ7DJX Tom AZ
K6SIG Sean CA Mobile
KE6GVK Mike AZ
W7BR Brent WA
KI5BEE/VE3 Calvin Toronto CAN
KI5GPI Donna TX
K7IEX Tyler AZ
KJ7MFV Mike OR
K5TIN Shane LA
K7XPO Brien AZ
K7ZOO Curt AZ
K7RFX Larry AZ
NB9D Neal ME
N7BMH Brian ID
W6TED Ted CA

Announcements:
* Welcome KI5GPI to the net!

We covered a bunch of ham / tech topics including mobile antennas, raspberry pi's, portable j-poles, Hot spots, and pirate FM transmitters. I'll include a few of the product names and links below but feel free to keep the conversation going in the forum thread.
Roll up j-pole 2m Slim-Jim Aerial using Ladder-Line | M0PZT
HT Antenna - HYS TC-80 Kenwood DG710
Shark RF Hot spot SharkRF – High quality wireless communications equipment
Pi-Star

Have a great week everyone and please join us Friday for the next OB net.
73!
Ed N7PHY

Reactions: Boort