Fox Tail Overland Trailer Build

• HTML tutorial

ShawneeHills

Rank III

Advocate II

Kentucky
I labeled my XJ build Fox for "Family Overland XJ" because any modifications i made had to take into consideration that It wasn't just me, but also my wife, 3 kids and dog! So quickly after realizing I needed more room for our gear, I started project FOX TAIL, my overland camper. It has similarities with a tear drop but also has a pop top, bunk bed and room for a family of 5 (hopefully).

I spent several days just building it in my head and once i felt i had a solid concept, i went to sketchup and this is what I came up with: Capture 1.JPG

So right now I am about a week in and here is where the project is now.
4.jpg

Over the next 2-3 days I am hoping to get it ready for fiberglass. I will be out of town on business for a week so I really hope to be ready to hit the fiberglass hard when I get back. I have been videoing the entire process and plan on putting the videos on my youtube channel as I go. The first video should come out in about 2 weeks!

Jimmy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Duncan, OK, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5JLP
The layout is pretty similar to what I want to do. I'll be watching as the build continues.

itsdchz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Clovis, CA
Member #

Holy Cow- Speechless! This is an amazing video worth the watch! Kudos on an EPIC build... Wish I had this talent! Love the design and look. MAJOR Props!!!

Reactions: WestieTRD

ShawneeHills

Rank III

Advocate II

Kentucky
Impressive. Did you do the popup skirt yourself?
AS of right now the interior and the popup tent have not been done, but I will be doing them myself. I have done a lot of upholstery and similar over the years. Everything from fitted boat covers to curtains, lol.

Canoehead

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
First Name
Duncan
Last Name
Neish
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE1NEI
So much here to love. It's great to see the kids present and "helping" from time to time. My little ones (6 and 2) always want to get involved, and I encourage it when it's safe. Hope they will always want it that way!

Reactions: ShawneeHills

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Awesome trailer! Very close to what's in my mind! Do you have some plans or basic measurements to share?
I'm having some trouble with one thing, length from hitch to center of the axle...
Due to German regulations I'm limited a bit and could only choose from 2 options, about 80" or 100"...

ctcv1984

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

Rocklin, CA.
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Williams
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6YMR
Holy cow! And you built it in 11 minutes!! I would need a solid 3 hours, maybe more. I think it's cool as hell, well done, sir.