Found interesting hardware for overlanders on Amazon.

• HTML tutorial

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Be careful what you use these for though. They aren't the most secure things. They have their place though.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I use them on my roof rack for my ax and shovel. I replace the about every 6 months. The thin rubber area that stretches over the teeth dry out, crack and break easily, but they are cheap and easy.

Reactions: Cj13

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

If you want something similar but much better, I'm a huge fan of these ones from Warrior. They are 10x the price but they are far more durable, secure, and have lock hasps. Bought them after someone stole my shovel and axe on a trip like 2 years ago. Going with coupons and everything, I managed to get under $250 for 4 of them.

edit: just realized you posted the big ones... those are somewhat useful but I found they're not rigid enough to hold anything heavy when off road. A nylon strap does a better job.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
If you want something similar but much better, I'm a huge fan of these ones from Warrior. They are 10x the price but they are far more durable, secure, and have lock hasps. Bought them after someone stole my shovel and axe on a trip like 2 years ago. Going with coupons and everything, I managed to get under $250 for 4 of them.

edit: just realized you posted the big ones... those are somewhat useful but I found they're not rigid enough to hold anything heavy when off road. A nylon strap does a better job.
Those warrior ones are the cats meow. I take it they are lockable too.

Cj13

Rank II

Contributor II

Mount Olive, AL, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

I use them on my roof rack for my ax and shovel. I replace the about every 6 months. The thin rubber area that stretches over the teeth dry out, crack and break easily, but they are cheap and easy.
In your experience do you think they would last a lot longer inside the vehicle out of the uv and weather?

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

In your experience do you think they would last a lot longer inside the vehicle out of the uv and weather?
Yep. Its the Texas sun that does them in. I park outside 24/365 so I know my example is not the norm. THey work well for small items for sure. I have a slightly bigger one that I use for my chainsaw form time to time as well without issue.

Cj13

Rank II

Contributor II

Mount Olive, AL, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Yep. Its the Texas sun that does them in. I park outside 24/365 so I know my example is not the norm. THey work well for small items for sure. I have a slightly bigger one that I use for my chainsaw form time to time as well without issue.
Thanks for the input, buying some right now

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

This can work on some racks. i am considering switching to this. Currently I mount them one on each side, but with my caopy going on the passenger side, I'd like the axe and shovel mounted together. This does that.