louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
A legit thread/question and you turn it into a CA bash?
man, i'm with ya! my father was stationed at vandenberg in the 70s and years later i was stationed at point loma sub base and velejo. busting on cali is old and played out and like shooting fish in a barrel. its TOO easy busting on cali. i moved on to busting on texas and ohio. at least make make it fum and interesting. :grinning:

• Haha
Reactions: Munga Brown

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Which Ohio? There's five of them.

I'm pretty sure that putting ashes in a Trasharoo will cause cancer. I don't think we can stop poking CA until we can make diesel engines without DPF's and DEF again.

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

man, i'm with ya! my father was stationed at vandenberg in the 70s and years later i was stationed at point loma sub base and velejo. busting on cali is old and played out and like shooting fish in a barrel. its TOO easy busting on cali. i moved on to busting on texas and ohio. at least make make it fum and interesting. :grinning:
Ohio is where CA sends all its ugly women & dead people. Or so I’ve been told...

I was born in Ohio & the best thing that ever happened to me was our family moving to CA back in 1960. I was almost 5. Tell me it wasn’t completely bitchin growin up there in the ‘60s & ‘70s. I saw Jefferson Airplane playing on a street corner in the Haight. We used to go to Berkeley for the free speech & anti-war protests back in the day. I learned about government lies & oppression at a very young age.

CA used to be awesome. Then folks from everywhere else came there & has made it what it is now. I miss the OG CA vibes.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Ohio is where CA sends all its ugly women & dead people. Or so I’ve been told...

I was born in Ohio & the best thing that ever happened to me was our family moving to CA back in 1960. I was almost 5. Tell me it wasn’t completely bitchin growin up there in the ‘60s & ‘70s. I saw Jefferson Airplane playing on a street corner in the Haight. We used to go to Berkeley for the free speech & anti-war protests back in the day. I learned about government lies & oppression at a very young age.

CA used to be awesome. Then folks from everywhere else came there & has made it what it is now. I miss the OG CA vibes.
no shit. cali as a geographical location is the bomb! i have never seen such an awesome place. i did skiing, scuba, hikening, all sorts of cool stuff all in one state. when I was i the navy, i was all about california, thought it was the most awesome place on the map. then i got into owning land there and being a "citizen" and shit took a turn for the worst. no offense, cali is great as a piece of land, but factor in the bullshit of politics, and the place suddenly sucks ass...

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Which is why it needs bashed. I doubt I'll ever go there again. We'll have to pick exactly why we want to go there, and find it elsewhere. I can go skiing in CO. Key's for scuba. WV, KY, PA, NY for hiking. And a handfull of pills for the berkeley experience (yay, a one tank trip!).

Packing out the fire pit ashes is a bit silly. I'd more than settle for no litter or trail destruction from west coasters. No litter, and no ripping things up with open diff 4wd's, and you're cool over here.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I always wondered about that. If you do the math, then look at the cemetery, it doesn't add up.
Remember, don't come here. We have earthquakes every day. If you do come here, help save one of our politicians. Take a few with you when you leave.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Which is why it needs bashed. I doubt I'll ever go there again. We'll have to pick exactly why we want to go there, and find it elsewhere. I can go skiing in CO. Key's for scuba. WV, KY, PA, NY for hiking. And a handfull of pills for the berkeley experience (yay, a one tank trip!).

Packing out the fire pit ashes is a bit silly. I'd more than settle for no litter or trail destruction from west coasters. No litter, and no ripping things up with open diff 4wd's, and you're cool over here.
ok...when Mid Ohio starts dropping truth bombs, you KNOW shit is getting real!!! :grinning:

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
I feel this thread is a bit ironic, no offense to OP...we buy fancy toys and gear that all have a huge environmental impact, we drive all around on gasoline or diesel, then we take our expensive, be-decked rigs into the wild and fixate on ash disposal? Hmmm...
Not trying to call any one person out, seems lots of people want to be a "good steward" of things these days, but it usually involves buying "more stuff".

Also, on the CA bashing..... I loved LOVED CA in the 80's and 90's. I try not to bash on it because obviously I don't want to look like I am jealous.

We have lived in WA state now for nearly 20 years, and there's a huge influx of ex-CA people coming here, real estate prices and taxes are getting way out of hand.
My wife and I have agreed, if the taxes get any worse here (just about at that point right now) we may as well move to CA. At least the weather and nature is nicer than WA state! Not bashing on WA state either, just don't want to stay here if it gets too expensive. We don't like west coast politics in general, but can tolerate it if the view is good.

Reactions: grubworm

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

I feel this thread is a bit ironic, no offense to OP...we buy fancy toys and gear that all have a huge environmental impact, we drive all around on gasoline or diesel, then we take our expensive, be-decked rigs into the wild and fixate on ash disposal? Hmmm...
Not trying to call any one person out, seems lots of people want to be a "good steward" of things these days, but it usually involves buying "more stuff".

Also, on the CA bashing..... I loved LOVED CA in the 80's and 90's. I try not to bash on it because obviously I don't want to look like I am jealous.

We have lived in WA state now for nearly 20 years, and there's a huge influx of ex-CA people coming here, real estate prices and taxes are getting way out of hand.
My wife and I have agreed, if the taxes get any worse here (just about at that point right now) we may as well move to CA. At least the weather and nature is nicer than WA state! Not bashing on WA state either, just don't want to stay here if it gets too expensive. We don't like west coast politics in general, but can tolerate it if the view is good.
Yeah, I agree.. dragging a 15mpg 4Runner out into the wild isn't being a conservationist. Not sure who said it, but the quote is "we are a destructive species, and if you love nature, stay away from it". It might have been Henry David Thoreau.. after he accidentally burned 300 acres of wilderness.

The OP was way more about fires on the ground than packing out ash with the trash.

I'm not sure how this went so far off the rails.

I asked for opinions and definitely got them.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Yeah, I agree.. dragging a 15mpg 4Runner out into the wild isn't being a conservationist. Not sure who said it, but the quote is "we are a destructive species, and if you love nature, stay away from it". It might have been Henry David Thoreau.. after he accidentally burned 300 acres of wilderness.

The OP was way more about fires on the ground than packing out ash with the trash.

You guys get 15 mpg?! I only get 8 LOL. Mine is definitely more geared for rock crawling though with only a few added comforts.

Reactions: WAYAWAY

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
i get that it is "virtuous" to haul out ashes and even debris from other people...BUT i wonder where it gets packed to? basically, you can take someone's crap and haul it off, but it is still having to be dealt with by other people who pick up trash. if i haul my ashes from cali to louisiana, i will still have to put it in a trash can and then another person will take it and transport it to a landfill. unless i eat debris, i am am only really just shuffling it around. not really sure what is supposed to be accomplished by this...
The real reason most people pack out other people's garbage is because they want to try and reduce the chance their favorite areas will get closed down by authorities.

Reactions: M Rose

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I like the above ground wood burners, mostly due to the fact that they can be made more efficient than a fire on the ground. I like that they are quick and easy and no rock gathering/redistribution involved. They produce more radiant heat by virtue of the fact that the ground isn't absorbing it. The ability to control airflow to the base of the fire means much greater efficiency and more complete combustion.

However from the environmental impact perspective, I don't know that there is any perceptible advantages. If you have ever been around a mine, or a steel mill you already understand. Just because it is neat and clean sitting in your camp in no way nullifies the environmental impact of mining and manufacturing.

So, do I like them? Yes.

Am I going to haul off a 16oz can worth of ashes? Not bloody likely eh mate.

Reactions: TexasGMG

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off

Hell of a ride wasn't it.

Reactions: grubworm

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

It's been a long time since I've made a campfire of any sort. I travel in a camping van, never stay more than a night, and don't want the bother of being responsible for the aftermath of a fire. I am thinking of picking up a UCO Flatpack grill to use as the occasional firepit but mostly for the grill aspect. I've got a Weber Q but it's too big to pack in the van. I would mostly use briquettes if I wanted to grill a steak. I like the idea of it for a small fire as well and, where I live and travel, collecting a little down wood isn't too challenging. But to go full on lazy, a wax firelog also fits the larger UCO. :wink: