FINALLY got a truck to build out! 2021 F-150

• HTML tutorial

RdgRnr

Rank I

Contributor III

Hey guys! So I've always wanted to build an Overland rig. I've always wanted a 4x4. Well, at 37...almost 38, I finally got one. My '06 Tundra 2WD started giving me problems and was eluding to needing a lot of work.
I picked a new client for work (I run a photo/video business) and I will be on the road for them quite a bit. SO, I decided to step it up a notch. I do content creation for a lot of outdoors/firearms companies and can use the
truck in my content once it's built up.

So here are my specs:
2021 F-150 (somehow they still had a new one on the lot, so I got 0% interest...woohoo! lol)
XLT 5.0 V8
4x4
Factory Skid Plates
Electronic Locking Dif.
17" Wheels (the size I wanted)

Crappy cellphone photo because it's been raining a ton.
IMG_2512.jpg

I won't be doing crazy off-road stuff, but I do want to level it up and swap out a few things.
I will be off-road filming shooting matches for clients, doing general content, and also filming adventure races for clients.
Lots of dirt roads, gravel roads, and some no roads. Most of these aren't very aggressive, my 2WD Tundra handled most everything to date without much problem.

So, my questions:
2.5" leveling kit (spacers) OR install new suspension up front to get the height i want to level it out? Brand recommendations?
Front bumper options - I don't necessarily need a winch. Looking at Barricade HD, ADD, Fab Fours.
Light bar/cubes?
Rear Bumper - Looking at Fab Fours
I'll run these tires for a while and then swap for something more aggressive.

Thanks guys!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey guys! So I've always wanted to build an Overland rig. I've always wanted a 4x4. Well, at 37...almost 38, I finally got one. My '06 Tundra 2WD started giving me problems and was eluding to needing a lot of work.
I picked a new client for work (I run a photo/video business) and I will be on the road for them quite a bit. SO, I decided to step it up a notch. I do content creation for a lot of outdoors/firearms companies and can use the

So here are my specs:
2021 F-150 (somehow they still had a new one on the lot, so I got 0% interest...woohoo! lol)
XLT 5.0 V8
4x4
Factory Skid Plates
Electronic Locking Dif.

View attachment 222383

I won't be doing crazy off-road stuff, but I do want to level it up and swap out a few things.
I will be off-road filming shooting matches for clients, doing general content, and also filming adventure races for clients.
Lots of dirt roads, gravel roads, and some no roads. Most of these aren't very aggressive, my 2WD Tundra handled most everything to date without much problem.

So, my questions:
2.5" leveling kit (spacers) OR install new suspension up front to get the height i want to level it out? Brand recommendations?
Front bumper options - I don't necessarily need a winch. Looking at Barricade HD, ADD, Fab Fours.
Light bar/cubes?

Thanks guys!
Welcome To Overland Bound
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
You are in the Southeast Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Here is a page that might help you out with your questions.
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com

Reactions: RdgRnr

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Welcome to the campfire! Very nice rig to start off with.
Everything is a trade off when it comes to your build. This is yours, so you do you. I am not a fan of light bars and ran with Baja Designs cubes, I do love them, my wallet not so much, I would do again. Think about putting your lights down and out front, so you're driving behind them instead of under them. I am cheap and only do mods that have a direct impact on my ability to do something. I put progressive springs on the rear and love it, it ride empty like it does with a heavy load. Please keep us updated with your build.

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army

So here are my specs:
XLT 5.0 V8
4x4
Factory Skid Plates
Electronic Locking Dif.

View attachment 222383

So, my questions:
Light bar/cubes?

Thanks guys!
Welcome to the Overland Bound Community. Glad to have you join us.
As for your questions....... Others can chime in if I'm off base. I would say a level kit. 2.5 to 3 inch. Too much of a lift can put more of a strain on the CV joints and the hubs making them wear out earlier than they should. Plus it does alter your center of gravity.
You say you don't need a winch. That will change. Half the fun is getting stuck. The other half is getting yourself out.
Tires. Get yourself a set of good All Terrain tires.
NEXT.. It's your rig. Do what you want and have fun.

RdgRnr

Rank I

Contributor III

Welcome To Overland Bound
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
You are in the Southeast Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Here is a page that might help you out with your questions.
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com
Thanks for all of the info! I will definitely check out those links.

Welcome to the campfire! Very nice rig to start off with.
Everything is a trade off when it comes to your build. This is yours, so you do you. I am not a fan of light bars and ran with Baja Designs cubes, I do love them, my wallet not so much, I would do again. Think about putting your lights down and out front, so you're driving behind them instead of under them. I am cheap and only do mods that have a direct impact on my ability to do something. I put progressive springs on the rear and love it, it ride empty like it does with a heavy load. Please keep us updated with your build.
Thanks for the info. I definitely want to be more on the practical side instead of practiCOOL, lol. I want any upgrades to have a purpose.

Welcome to the Overland Bound Community. Glad to have you join us.
As for your questions....... Others can chime in if I'm off base. I would say a level kit. 2.5 to 3 inch. Too much of a lift can put more of a strain on the CV joints and the hubs making them wear out earlier than they should. Plus it does alter your center of gravity.
You say you don't need a winch. That will change. Half the fun is getting stuck. The other half is getting yourself out.
Tires. Get yourself a set of good All Terrain tires.
NEXT.. It's your rig. Do what you want and have fun.
I have the level lined up for Monday, simple 2" spacers for now until I decide on and can justify a full suspension setup. LOL, the winch I am back and forth on. I will be on the road a lot, so the extra weight will really wear on the mpg. I don't plan on any serious off-roading, so I'm still shying away from it. That could change though. Thanks for the input!

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Nice rig, it should make a great Overlander. I'm not familiar with kits for F150s, but I'd look at brands like Camburg, Icon, etc. to see if they offer something. A spacer leveling kit will work, especially while it's brand new and the stock shocks are in good shape. However, I always prefer a leveling kit that is based on either spindles or upper control arms to correct geometry and a better aftermarket shock.

-TJ

RdgRnr

Rank I

Contributor III

Nice rig, it should make a great Overlander. I'm not familiar with kits for F150s, but I'd look at brands like Camburg, Icon, etc. to see if they offer something. A spacer leveling kit will work, especially while it's brand new and the stock shocks are in good shape. However, I always prefer a leveling kit that is based on either spindles or upper control arms to correct geometry and a better aftermarket shock.

-TJ

Thanks! Yeah when these get a little worn, I will replace with a true suspension kit and UCAs. I've been looking at Icon, they have a really nice kit. Just need to save up some money and do a few other mods first.

RdgRnr

Rank I

Contributor III

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn

So here are my specs:
XLT 5.0 V8
4x4
Factory Skid Plates
Electronic Locking Dif.

View attachment 222383

So, my questions:
Light bar/cubes?

Thanks guys!
Hello Brian, welcome to Overland Bound.