Falken A/T3W vs BFG A/T KO2 for roughly the same price...thoughts and/or experience?

• HTML tutorial

Andy G

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

Getting new shoes on the van (2017 Chevy Express 2500 RWD)... it's down to Falken Wildpeak A/T3W's or BFG A/T KO2's. I ran that Falken's on my old Trooper and loved them. Costco has a promotion going on now that's $110 off the BFG's, which makes the total price (including tax and installation) about 40 bucks less than the BFG's. Winter snow/ice traction is important, and both are 3 Peak rated for snow service. I've heard the Falken's wear better and last a bit longer than the BFG's. Both have similar warranties. I'll be doing 70% road and 30% off road...with the off road being 2-tracks, fire roads, and forest service roads...not mudding, rock crawling, etc. What direction would you go, and why?

Thanks!!!

Greybans

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Columbia, SC, USA
First Name
Grey
Last Name
Gann
Member #

I went with the wildpeaks for my rwd frontier. I was actually in the same boat as you and had it narrowed down between the ko2’s and the at3w’s. Everyone I talked to claimed that the wildpeaks performed better on wet roads and since my stock tires were slipping in the rain pretty bad I chose the wildpeaks. Ever since upgrading I can say that I haven’t slipped in the rain at all and I’m very happy with their road manners! As for their off-road performance they’ve impressed me, climbs up and down mountain service roads with ease, it sounds like we do similar off-roading and the wildpeaks haven’t let me down yet, highly recommend them.

Reactions: Desert Runner

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Wild peaks are better because MI.

Cooper ST Maxx will crush both of those though.

Kies

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Carterville, Illinois
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Kiesling
Member #

I agree with Greybans. I have had wildpeaks on my jeep for about 12000 miles now and have been very impressed with them.

Andy G

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

Thanks for the replies... I did decide to go with the Falkens. I really liked their performance on my Trooper, and I love the look of them. Ordered 'em up today, appointment made for next week for installation! Thanks!

Reactions: Prerunner1982

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Good
Thanks for the replies... I did decide to go with the Falkens. I really liked their performance on my Trooper, and I love the look of them. Ordered 'em up today, appointment made for next week for installation! Thanks!
Good for you! My last set of KO2’s only got 25k, I purchased 3 more and mixed the spare in, if they are the same I’ll be moving on to something else too.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Falkens 255/80's, a 33.3" tire on my Colorado zr2 are better than the GY Duratracs it came with. Friend with KO2's on Jeep seems to have more wheel spin in same conditions.

Gpschef

Rank II

Enthusiast II

I just ordered falkens wildpeaks at3w for my xterra in 10 ply to match the bfg at/ko2s. Got almost 60,000 on the bfgs and noticed the slipping in wet weather! Yeah it is time to replace them! Hopefully the flakens are better!