Launch Member

Contributor I

San Diego
First Name
Ryne
Last Name
Villegas
Member #

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I am looking for some ideas or starting point for building a overlanding checklist similar to the one Michael posted awhile back. I would like to have one that is fairly easy to update so that it can be changed as my experience in overlanding grows.

Reactions: dp454so

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

I've not been a member long but we've kept our own check list for a while even before discovering this community. Unless I'm missing something, wouldn't you be able to start up a list in Excel using Michael's checklist as a starting point? We (my wife actually) keep our list in Excel as well, and it's tailored more for our personal likes and needs. The checklist is not fool-proof. Evident in that we're always forgetting to pack something. That said, I'm going to take the advice of having dedicated, packed boxes / cases which we can grab-and-go. I suppose it would be a good thing to tape a copy of the updated checklist on the inside lid were we to double check the contents or, after a trip, to restock.

Ryne Villegas

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

San Diego
First Name
Ryne
Last Name
Villegas
Member #

That's what I ended up doing. I am working on getting a similar set up with the case but I like to be a little more detailed about the gear so that if anyone else I go with wanted to know what was going with they would know exactly what is in the rig and where to find it.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I create a 'checklist' for trips over the normal weekend at the State Park, usually in Excel. I start it from the last one as soon as a trip is planned, so that I can add to it as I think of more things. It also helps me identify what just needs to be packed, vs what I still need to buy.

Something like this:
List.JPG

Abby is a dog, BTW.. :p

Don't over-complicate it. I used to just keep it on paper for years.

Ryne Villegas

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

San Diego
First Name
Ryne
Last Name
Villegas
Member #

I create a 'checklist' for trips over the normal weekend at the State Park, usually in Excel. I start it from the last one as soon as a trip is planned, so that I can add to it as I think of more things. It also helps me identify what just needs to be packed, vs what I still need to buy.

Something like this:
View attachment 26892

Abby is a dog, BTW.. :p

Don't over-complicate it. I used to just keep it on paper for years.
That's a cool way to break it down per person. I have never thought to do that to help my girlfriend pack better and to make sure we don't forget dog stuff. Mine is like columns D,E, & F but i have those one three different excel sheets and i have a note describing quantity or more specific details about item. EX: column 1 would say stove and column 2 would say Coleman 2 burner or camp chef.

Reactions: Craig M

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Yeah, I keep mine somewhat generic as most of it is in my head, this is just to make sure I don't forget anything.. So, for example, I have 6 different stoves, depending on what I kind of camping we are doing. As you see on this list, I don't specify the stove I want to take, because I know in my head which one I want. In this case it's a single burner butane stove, but you can tell because the next item was butane! :p

I also don't include personal items like clothes and toiletries as those are packed by each person themselves. The standard is to try and fit all personal stuff into one duffle bag each. This list is just the stuff I am responsible for!

You will also notice there are no tools, fluids, etc.. Those don't go on this list because they are always in the Jeep!

My wife is generally in charge of food, so she will maintain that list after we decide on a loose menu.

Ryne Villegas

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

San Diego
First Name
Ryne
Last Name
Villegas
Member #

Nice,
I am guessing items in yellow are the ones that still need to be packed? Do you use another color for any items you may need to buy?

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

This is a rough one I put together yesterday
https://1drv.ms/x/s!AmdYYHria0ZqcTjC8Kty4rsRA-g
Yeah, that's a good way too! I used to do seperate tabs but over time I just started throwing them all on one so I can see everything at once.

I used to keep my camp boxes (Action Packers) intact and had a list of contents in each one, but now we change the way we camp for each trip. One trip might be what I call 'Heavy Camp' which includes the offroad trailer with RTT, and just about every piece of gear I have, the next is a hike-in primitive camp, then I might do an overland trip. Or it may even be just me on a solo bushcrafting trip!

In fact, this year we have camped differently each time we have gone out. In Dec I camped on a cot in the snow, in Feb I hammocked at a bushcraft meet, in Apr we took our daughter to the state park for car camping, in Mar my wife and I camped at a walk-in primitive site and right now we're preparing for a overlanding trip to CO in 3 weeks.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Nice,
I am guessing items in yellow are the ones that still need to be packed? Do you use another color for any items you may need to buy?
On that list it was for items I needed to buy (either new gear to us, or replacements). I actually hadn't updated it in a couple weeks and I have purchased everything that was highlighted now. I keep this saved on my Google drive so I can access it from anywhere, and a couple days before we leave I will print it off to use as my checklist when I start loading / packing gear.

Most of this stuff is currently packed and staged in a pile in my garage, where it will stay until I load it.

Ryne Villegas

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

San Diego
First Name
Ryne
Last Name
Villegas
Member #

I am trying to get it set up similar to how Michael and Corrie have it set up with their case. I'm just waiting for my roof rack to show up so I have a better idea of that I'm working with space-wise before I spend money on the cases