Europe: Interesting news for Skandinavia travellers - ferry connecting Norway and Netherlands is moving to Germany

• HTML tutorial

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
The ferry between the Netherlands and Norway had only started service in 2022, making it an interesting alternative to existing connections. After some incidents during loading and with he booking plus capacity problems at the port of Eemshaven, Groningen, the ferry is now moving. Interemistically, the ship will dock in Cuxhaven, Germany and will later operate between Emden at the German North Sea coast to Kristinasand in Norway. This could also be an interesting connection for some.

Here is a little more information about it including some FAQs:

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
We need a ferry from Scotland or the North of England to Norway, that would be a big game changer for many over here in Scotland especially.
Currently we need to go to Newcastle to catch the ferry to Ijmuiden or drive further south for the southern channel crossings.
as they say it is a long way for a short cut

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
We need a ferry from Scotland or the North of England to Norway, that would be a big game changer for many over here in Scotland especially.
Currently we need to go to Newcastle to catch the ferry to Ijmuiden or drive further south for the southern channel crossings.
as they say it is a long way for a short cut
Indeed. And there was a regular ferry service between UK to Norway in the past. From Newcastle to Stavanger and Bergen. There were several attempts to pick it up again and there are still plans to do so. Take a look here:

We will see...

Reactions: Polaris Overland

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Indeed. And there was a regular ferry service between UK to Norway in the past. From Newcastle to Stavanger and Bergen. There were several attempts to pick it up again and there are still plans to do so. Take a look here:

We will see...
A few years to go and I hope they don't build ferries how the Scottish Government does ;-)

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
The kuxhaven ferry has stopped operation at least for now because of financial trouble.
Not good news. We had planned to try the ferry service in February. The start in early 2022 for this new connection was bumpy. There were problems with loading in Eemskip and the booking system. In addition, the shipping company had to deal with capacity and operational problems in the port of Eemshaven, as there was no fixed berth for this ferry in the port there. This should improve with the transfer to other ports. Well, let's see what will happen by the beginning of next year.