mike759

Rank I

Contributor III

Burlington, VT, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
McMahon
New to this site, this may have come up before.
Has anyone done the enchanted Rockies trail (specifically between Pecos and Victor) during the winter months? If so, how bad are the conditions? I'm thinking of doing that portion in early January. We will have a stock grand cherokee and a lifted 1st gen tacoma. If anyone has any feedback lmk.
Thanks

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

I can’t speak for how it would be in the winter because I did it in the fall. But I can tell you there is a real bad stretch of trail just north of interstate 25. I headed south from Colorado, the ERT used to go along forest road 18 to interstate 25. That section is now closed and the only other option a long backtrack, or forest road 200 which it a nut buster with lots of technical sections that will tear your truck up if it’s not armored. This section begins around 35.51207, -105.50384. There is also a gate that has to be taken down and put back up at 35.47781, -105.49477.

OkieDavid

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Guthrie, Oklahoma
Member #

New to this site, this may have come up before.
Has anyone done the enchanted Rockies trail (specifically between Pecos and Victor) during the winter months? If so, how bad are the conditions? I'm thinking of doing that portion in early January. We will have a stock grand cherokee and a lifted 1st gen tacoma. If anyone has any feedback lmk.
Thanks
I did it in July and the weather was great, but some of the campsites are pretty high and the nights were cold even then. The FB group has a recent post of someone who did part of one section (Medano pass) this past weekend and he said snow obscured the road. Basically, several of the spots in Colorado will probably have lots of snow in January. I'm not speaking from first hand experience, just the posts others have made, but I wouldn't do it in the heavy snow you'll surely see in January.