Launch Member

Enthusiast III

12 Grandview Drive, Redbank Plains Queensland, Australia
First Name
Will
Last Name
Beaver
Member #

our two have always travelled with us and loved it. the "old girl" on the right is over 16 now and getting frail as well as being completely deaf and mostly blind, we let her and her 11 year old mate stay home with my son these days. as you can see they like to be comfortable.
They still are not happy when we spend a day packing and don't take them.
IMG_4363.jpg

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

The secret word here is "trained". An untrained animal in a setting where other folks may be at risk is a problem. I don't like seeing dogs tied up especially at camp. My dog was always mindful and well behaved around others. Never chased critters, never barked unless there was a intruder and I had at least one. Folks have to put in the work to have a good experience with pets outside. The last time I checked there were no dog parks at 12,000 feet. LMAO
Zim
I could not agree with this more - I do think with time and training most dogs and the Owners our Capable of going out Having fun - without being a Pest to other people

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

our two have always travelled with us and loved it. the "old girl" on the right is over 16 now and getting frail as well as being completely deaf and mostly blind, we let her and her 11 year old mate stay home with my son these days. as you can see they like to be comfortable.
They still are not happy when we spend a day packing and don't take them.
View attachment 235837
Difficult to take a Deaf-Blind dog anywhere.

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

Nice info on this post. thx! As for the question, I take our Belgian Malinois everywhere. We live by Yellowstone, so depending on what we may be doing in there, sometimes leave here at home. The Stone is not dog friendly. When my local fly shop sends me a fly fishing trip, I always ask the client ahead of time if its ok if I bring my dog with. Some folks just don't like dogs, so she stays home. If we are headed into remote grizzly bear country for some remote fishing, I pretty much insist on it for our safety. Just had a guy attacked near Three Lakes a few weeks back and he ended up killing the griz just before it lunged at him.
As a pup I trained her on cattle in the wild making a very big deal when we came across one. A cow kind of looks like a griz... right? So she is pretty messed up always looking for bears. She hits on moose and yes mooo cows. She is not allowed to go after them, just barks and grows letting us know. We go the other way when this happens. I think the big bell also helps as she bounces around making plenty of noise. Otherwise, as I bounce around the remote parts of the west looking for new places to fish, Orvis the dog is always with me. Thanks again for all the info within this post.
Our little cabin below the house down on the Wind River is always available for overlanders if your ever up Yellowstone way. I hide a key if I'm out overlanding. No charge. Just an email through my website and say you're a OB member. Trout Bumming.com
May take you up on this someday - Hope to offer the same in Monticello, Utah once the Property gets set up Properly. Currently I have Prairie dogs I need to kick out good thing I got my Henry

archer75

Rank I

Contributor III

Oregon, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Thomas
More gear to pack. And they can be a handful so it's less relaxing with the dogs there. If we do bring our trailer then we do bring the dogs.

Trout Bumming

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Wind River Range, Wyoming, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Quigley
Member #

Service Branch
Game Warden
For us, the only problems I can think of are space issues. A 50 pound Belgium Malinois is kind of a big dog. So a bed, water pan, dog food pan and a Kong take up space. Oh and she insists on licking fish when they are brought in initially. That can be kind of a pain after awhile. Another pain for us is... this is the first dog we have ever owned with a sensitive tummy. She can only eat dog food otherwise she wakes us up in the middle of the night letting us know she needs to go outside now! I value my sleep at night so that at times has been a downside. I retired from a job where many of my customers worked at 2am and seemed to never get a good night's sleep. So now pretty important to me. The upside is I trained her as a pup on moooo cows to always be watching out for them. So because I guide and camp in grizzly country continuely she is always watching out for us. Over the years has kept us safe and we just left the area. I have a page on my website dedicated to this subject specifically if anyone desires more information on camping and traveling with dogs.
Trout Bumming.com

Attachments

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

For us, the only problems I can think of are space issues. A 50 pound Belgium Malinois is kind of a big dog. So a bed, water pan, dog food pan and a Kong take up space. Oh and she insists on licking fish when they are brought in initially. That can be kind of a pain after awhile. Another pain for us is... this is the first dog we have ever owned with a sensitive tummy. She can only eat dog food otherwise she wakes us up in the middle of the night letting us know she needs to go outside now! I value my sleep at night so that at times has been a downside. I retired from a job where many of my customers worked at 2am and seemed to never get a good night's sleep. So now pretty important to me. The upside is I trained her as a pup on moooo cows to always be watching out for them. So because I guide and camp in grizzly country continuely she is always watching out for us. Over the years has kept us safe and we just left the area. I have a page on my website dedicated to this subject specifically if anyone desires more information on camping and traveling with dogs.
Trout Bumming.com
My dog's love to chase Fish the few times I did take them fishing - Have you tried a leave it command? "Grizzly" I think my wife would never let that dog leave her side "Absolutely Terrified of Bear"

Reactions: 9Mike2

Trout Bumming

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Wind River Range, Wyoming, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Quigley
Member #

Service Branch
Game Warden
Sylvester
Good advice thx! Yes I use that command for elk, big horn sheep skat as again makes her sick and for food scraps that fall while preparing meals. After she gets a couple of fish licks in I use "That's Enough" and she stops. It's a funny thing as she does not like pan fish, walleye or carp.
DIRTYPAWZ... by the way that is a really nice set up you have!

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

Trout Bumming.com
I'll take the fish licking for the grizzly protection any day of the week!

DirtyPawz

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Nokesville, Prince William County, Virginia, United States
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Wing
Member #

Service Branch
USCG
Sylvester
Good advice thx! Yes I use that command for elk, big horn sheep skat as again makes her sick and for food scraps that fall while preparing meals. After she gets a couple of fish licks in I use "That's Enough" and she stops. It's a funny thing as she does not like pan fish, walleye or carp.
DIRTYPAWZ... by the way that is a really nice set up you have!
Thanks!

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I was just wondering is there a reason you don't take your dog's Overlanding or Camping with you?
Our Aussie died nearly 12 years ago. We will not be getting another dog until we are done traveling. Don’t get me wrong, I love dogs, however, there are way too many places that we travel where dogs are either not permitted, or they simply should not be. We aren’t willing to alter our travel plans in order to accomodate a dog. Edward Abby thought that dogs would make really good coyote food. That’s a bit radical, but he does make a good point. This news story is another reminder that dogs just shouldn’t be in a lot of places. Unprovoked attack? ‘A miracle she is alive’: British gap year student, 19, paralysed in bison attack

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

What does that have to do with the Dog? Sounds like another Human - Wild Animal encounter to me. I actually blame the Young Girl more than the Bison or the dog. Your hiking amongst Wild animals be Prepared for anything

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
What does that have to do with the Dog? Sounds like another Human - Wild Animal encounter to me. I actually blame the Young Girl more than the Bison or the dog. Your hiking amongst Wild animals be Prepared for anything
They had a dog with them. The Bison do not like dogs. It smelled the dog and went after them.

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

Our Aussie died nearly 12 years ago. We will not be getting another dog until we are done traveling. Don’t get me wrong, I love dogs, however, there are way too many places that we travel where dogs are either not permitted, or they simply should not be. We aren’t willing to alter our travel plans in order to accomodate a dog. Edward Abby thought that dogs would make really good coyote food. That’s a bit radical, but he does make a good point. This news story is another reminder that dogs just shouldn’t be in a lot of places. Unprovoked attack? ‘A miracle she is alive’: British gap year student, 19, paralysed in bison attack
Smart that you understand there are responsibilities with dog ownership, especially in public places. If more people thought like you, dogs would be permitted in most.

I don't agree with dogs being coyote food. A coyote would have to be diseased to challenge my dogs and me. Otherwise there is too much risk for a coyote to challenge a human and a dog or two (or more in the old days).

As for the bison attack, I believe bison, like many animals, see a staring game as a threat. It would be interesting to note how the hiker came within 300' of the animal, especially with a dog that should have alerted in some manner to the presence of another animal. I would argue a dog should have helped in this scenario by alerting to the danger, rather than causing the problem. But again, the article doesn't say much about just before the encounter.

As for dogs not belonging in the outdoors, didn't Lewis & Clark have a Newfoundland with them during their entire journey? Plenty of bison encountered there and I don't recall any charging them because of the dog.

Dogs are awesome, but they are definitely not people. They need to be socialized, trained, and taught expectations to different scenarios.