Rank III

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Pruden
Member #

I’m looking for ways to protect my dog in an accident. Crash rated crates are bulky and expensive, so before I pull the trigger I’m curious if anyone has found any especially overland-friendly options. My dog is around 60lbs.

4TrekR

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Atlanta GA
Member #

Hi. I recently bought crash-rated harnesses made by Sleepypod for my 2 dogs ( bit larger than yours at about 80 and 90 lbs). The harnesses attach to the seatbelts in the back seat of my 4Runner where they travel. Had to add seat belt extenders to give them enough slack to lie down (probably would not have needed them for smaller dogs). Worked reasonably well on a long road trip to New England (although not tested in an actual crash, thankfully). A touch of added safety and peace of mind.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Hi. I recently bought crash-rated harnesses made by Sleepypod for my 2 dogs ( bit larger than yours at about 80 and 90 lbs). The harnesses attach to the seatbelts in the back seat of my 4Runner where they travel. Had to add seat belt extenders to give them enough slack to lie down (probably would not have needed them for smaller dogs). Worked reasonably well on a long road trip to New England (although not tested in an actual crash, thankfully). A touch of added safety and peace of mind.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The tether/leash system in conjunction with a travel harness is good for a mild accident, but will still allow your pet to be thrown around in a collision. At best it will keep them from being ejected, but they will get banged up. The crate will confine your pet, and not allow momentum to build into such a big deceleration issue. This confinement will better protect your dog's body and limbs from impact. Only you can determine what method works for your circumstances and comfort level. Personally I use the tether/leash system, as the crate method can only be used in specific travel plans.

4TrekR

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Atlanta GA
Member #

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The tether/leash system in conjunction with a travel harness is good for a mild accident, but will still allow your pet to be thrown around in a collision. At best it will keep them from being ejected, but they will get banged up. The crate will confine your pet, and not allow momentum to build into such a big deceleration issue. This confinement will better protect your dog's body and limbs from impact. Only you can determine what method works for your circumstances and comfort level. Personally I use the tether/leash system, as the crate method can only be used in specific travel plans.
Totally agree. A crate system would be better/ safer but having tried that previously, not a system that really works well with the way I or my dogs travel. Just need to drive safely and hope everyone else does too.

K9LTW

Rank IV
Investor

Traveler III

Front Royal, VA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Arnold
Member #

I’m looking for ways to protect my dog in an accident. Crash rated crates are bulky and expensive, so before I pull the trigger I’m curious if anyone has found any especially overland-friendly options. My dog is around 60lbs.
So this is one of those answers of...it depends. How much space are you willing to give up? What's your budget? My dogs' safety takes precedence over a lot of stuff...and, frankly, is why I'm in a Sequoia as opposed to a 4R (that I'd rather have). If I just had ONE dog...4R all the way. I built a flat floor...my version of a seat delete/platform and installed T-Nuts as mounting points for my TNC custom, aluminum crates as well as drawers/slides. I have their crates with forward-mounted, side-opening doors so they can enter/exit via the rear doors. You're looking at about $750 a crate. The 4R is too narrow between the wheel wells for both dogs to fit comfortably. In the future? I'll consider a platform that goes OVER the wheel wells to get the space back; provided there's enough headroom.

In my 2500 Power Wagon, I ripped the entire rear seat out and installed a full-fledged K9 insert from American Aluminum.

Just an idea for ya.

241364681_4693700847308042_3117224429237749943_n.jpg217702956_4529971470347648_7412387086486329196_n.jpg217683783_4529971687014293_8669865300052496084_n.jpg217701873_4529972007014261_1569653457835157940_n.jpg217621499_4529971257014336_2271411515195768524_n.jpg

Reactions: Sparksalot
U

UgotWheelz

I used one of the dog seat belt harnesses in my Mazda rally cars for my dog for years because she refused to lay down in the car. We did several adventure type time rallys and allot of back country exploring and it seemed to work well. I don't remember how or even why but I modified mine with some carabiners and 16mm webbing slings from REI.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I have a barrier between the front seats. When on the highway the hound is almost always laying down, so we’ll below the barrier. Going slowly off road, she’s definitely up and watching the world. A set of window bars allows to windows to be down without allowing her to jump after squirrels or whatever.

Btw, little guy was surveying from the fridge while stopped.

263A4A6D-B200-453B-9B09-71B4327A026D.jpegC32B8716-520C-440E-9CEA-AAC8398322C5.jpeg

U

UgotWheelz

I have a barrier between the front seats. When on the highway the hound is almost always laying down, so we’ll below the barrier. Going slowly off road, she’s definitely up and watching the world. A set of window bars allows to windows to be down without allowing her to jump after squirrels or whatever.

View attachment 213431View attachment 213432
My past dog loved to stand on back seat and put front paws on my leather arm rest between the front seats and eventually lay across the two surfaces. Thats when the seat belt harness was purchased. On that note if anyone needs any dog toys or really nice dog beds I have quite a few available.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force

Oops, missed the window pic.

3FCAD9AA-6D7B-41A3-B648-EF8BCD7EA230.jpeg

U

UgotWheelz

Oops, missed the window pic.

View attachment 213433
PPV vehicle perks

• Haha