NWDISCO2

Rank I

Contributor III

Bellingham
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Darisse
Have it myself. Too many times without ear pro. I end up having to have some type of noise in the background to drown it out. The wife hates it when I leave the window open, or a fan on.

TCrush

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Member #

I have sleep issues in general and 5 years of RX sleeping aids messed me up pretty good. Now it's just Melatonin to sleep. At home the TV at a very low volume, and hope for no infomercials ( I wake up wanting to buy stuff). In the woods the ambient nature sounds tend to be enough to cancel out the ringing, white noise apps works well to. I've tried other sounds, forest sounds and thunder storms, but they tend to repeat and I end up listening for the next lighting strike or bullfrog croak...it needs to be random (for me). I don't use babbling brook or plain rain, running water sounds have their own issues so I don't use them and avoid the flash light trips in the middle of the night.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Loud sounds coupled with excessive asprin gave it to me 50 years ago. I just learned to live with it. The worst thing is that it messes with understanding speech.

Reactions: TOMB and Thelgord

robrtsmtn

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Aztec, NM
Member #

I've had it for over 20 years, and have found nothing that helps, but camping within earshot of a creek helps while I'm camping.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I use a small white noise machine from amazon at home, it was about $50 and is fantastic. You can scroll through the many various fan/wind type sounds until you find the right one and adjust the volume. The only downside is that it’s not battery powered though I’m sure they have those too. We take it to hotels to drown out the outside noise which has been very nice. In the woods I’m good with the natural sounds, but my wife is kept awake by the occasional twig snaps etc, which means I’m also kept awake, so she found a white noise app for her phone and keeps it near her pillow just loud enough for her to sleep. It’s worked out well for both of us.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Stephanie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Goldston, Chatham County, North Carolina, United States
First Name
stephanie
Last Name
Curlee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4CNY
Service Branch
Army
A cheap Walmart made in China fan that sounds like a C130 taking off at full power and a loose propeller....and sleeping pills. That and hearing aids during the day. I can tell you that alcohol actually amplifies it if you don't get to sleep right away. Good luck dude.

Lol I always thought we might have to jump early on the C-130. Half your brain is rattled before you get to jump.

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
I can't remember when I didn't have it. But, I have no trouble falling asleep. It is loud, just guess I have grown accustomed to it.

mine comes and goes with no reason, its the least of the reasons a nights sleep is elusive. 30%loss from being a USN Seabee steel worker, along with rifle ranges and explosives, still welding and grinding. neck crackles from falling off a roof, the wife snores like a train, some other crap from stress, so over the counter sleep aid with ear plugs and the TV on the oldies channel on low. I sleep best when far from home, work can't call me in. things are still good though, not worth getting worked up over.

Reactions: robrtsmtn