Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Extra fuel is peace of mind. We do a three day trip through the Blue Mountains and it takes a full tank in most of our vehicles. If the road was blocked by fire or something and we had to take a different route out, we would need more fuel.

We once were camping in Little Naches with RVs and Trucks with campers pulling trailers with Jeeps when the Nile Landslide blocked our short drive back to Yakima. The only gas station had no power to pump fuel due to the landslide. We had to drive over Chinook Pass. The short cut "Cayuse Pass" to US12 was closed. We had to drive all the way over the Cascades to Enumclaw in Western Washington and around to take another pass back over to Eastern Washington. Some did not have enough fuel to make the trip. We emptied the fuel tanks of the Jeeps on trailers to add fuel to some of the tow rigs. I had topped off my diesel pickup before coming up and had enough to go over the pass. Lucky because no one else had a diesel rig to share.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
to Enumclaw in Western Washington
Funny! I don’t consider Enumclaw W WA, but I guess maybe it is! In my mind W WA starts right around Sno Pass where yielding the left lane stops ;)

And… if you carry extra fuel you might have the opportunity to be a Good Samaritan and help somebody unknown out.

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Funny! I don’t consider Enumclaw W WA, but I guess maybe it is! In my mind W WA starts right around Sno Pass where yielding the left lane stops ;)

And… if you carry extra fuel you might have the opportunity to be a Good Samaritan and help somebody unknown out.
Most I know consider the top of the Cascades the line between Western Washington and Eastern Washington. The passes are hard pulls with a load. Once on top of the Cascades, it is mostly down hill.

Reactions: Ubiety and 9Mike2

Z Adventures

Rank VI
Investor

Pathfinder III

Georgia, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Zeilenga
Member #

Ah, thanks for that link. I called a couple of weeks ago, prior to this being posted. Perhaps I need to carry some extra fuel now:)

Does anyone carry extra fuel inside the vehicle?
I stored 2 RotoPax gas cans inside the cab overnight out of caution so they wouldn't get stolen. It smelled of fuel inside for 2 days. I was so glad I didn't have a long drive that next day. Don't recommend it.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I would love to get a extra tank for my Tacoma. I had an 1987 Toyoya pickup with a 11 gallon tank that fit up in the frame above the spare and drained into the main tank. I know Frontrunner in Africa makes a 15 gal one but not for the US.
It can be a pain to get cans out of my truck, but it’s cheap, so I will stay carry 2-4 5 gal cans
===============================================================================================================
One thing i miss, is the older trucks that offered dual tank saddle options from the OEM's. The GM square bodies, or my 1985 F-150. They made life much easier. Many years ago i took that Ford on a hunting trip up North of Elko NV. Because we took a 2 horse trailer loaded with gear, I had taken 6 jerry cans with us for extra fuel. We were going 60 miles North of Elko, than almost 20 miles back in. That trailer , and the 2 weeks in the back country, going up and down the mountain trails, really used fuel. We ended up using 5 of the 6 jerry's, by the time we got back to Elko on the way home. There was a alternate fuel stop we could have gone to up near Wild Horse reservoir, but it was 20 out and 15 North one way to get fuel so, So, 70 miles to fuel up and just get back to camp, and use it as a backup to our backup and fortunately it was not needed. That was the only time I sweated my fuel usage as a trip taker.

For the most part, if any distance is planned and fuel stops are a question, I will take at least a 5 gallon jerry can as that would give me at least 60 extra hwy miles for my diesel. , For us with pickup's, the only realistic alternative in the USA, is to use those bed tanks, like construction and ranchers/ farmers use. I do not like the aftermarkets that hang below the frame rails......for off-road use, not hwy as clearance is compromised with trail obstacles. As others have chimed in, fuel stop availability is good planning, and to not assume a station will be open without some sort of verification.

PS: And it is not just rural, but in a unfamiliar foreign city also. When I was in Quebec. my Garmin said here were some fuel stations I could go to. This was at night, and with fuel low, I found that 3 were closed down. 2 were now small used car lots, and 1 had bankers hours. Luckily i found a 24 hour Shell station open. That made for a interesting night. :coldsweat:

Last edited:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Never.

If I cant plan travel with a 38g fuel tank, than an extra 5 isn't going to help. Fill up every time I get off the freeway. Should have at least 3/4 tank when I reach my campsite.

Law of 1/3's applies.

If I have my Drz400 in the trucks bed, I'll have a bottle to refill it. Maybe.

Reactions: 9Mike2

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

It depends on the trip for fuel being carried or not. One time leaving MOAB I had more than 1/2 tank but it started snowing and gas stations were hared to find along the way or just too far out of the way. I had to use the 5gallons I was carrying to make it to the gas station.

kharrel

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Ventura County, CA, USA
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Harrel
Member #

I stored 2 RotoPax gas cans inside the cab overnight out of caution so they wouldn't get stolen. It smelled of fuel inside for 2 days. I was so glad I didn't have a long drive that next day. Don't recommend it.
First I do not recommend. But I have done it with no issues. Rotopax only and I store them in a pelican style case below in case if they leak. I did not get any smell or fumes. But again I do not recommend and avoid it if I can.

I got some of these cheap so I store the Rotopax in one of them. Can fit 8 gallons.

Now I love this on the JL. I have the JLUD so only carry 4 gallons extra on every trip. Can take off and store when in daily driving.

Kelly

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I'm questioning the need to carry extra gas. In my many years of traveling (which include many trips in Baja), I've yet to be in a situation where I was about run out of gas. The cost of carrying extra fuel doesn't seem worth it. My 05 Tundra has a range of 300 miles, which seems plenty to me. I'm curious to see how many of you bring an extra can of gas with you on your trips? And if so, were you ever in need of it?
Funny you mention Baja.. After this past Feb down there I've decided I need either a second tank mounted or carry extra. !'m 380 miles on a tank. I pushed 340 before I found a petrol station. Guess it depends on where you're going to travel & of course availability. Baja I found several stations closed (or just for the locals).

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
Yes, always, and it deserves an explanation. My 80 has, on a good day a 230 mile range off road, on highway 250. I carry two 5 gallon jerrys and another 6 gallon boat tank up top. Seems like a lot, but its not, its only a 350 mile range on the easiest of off road trips. Last September I ordered a 24 ga auxiliary tank from Long Range America. My installer is receiving it this week, I'll have it installed next month after we get back from this springs tour and I'll looking forward to carrying only one jerry can and extending my range to 500 miles +/-. This trip we have the challenge of leaving Hanksville, spending 5 nights in the Maze, then making our way down to Mexican Hat. The gas station at Hite is closed so I've some figuring to do to get me through as we had counted on the 500 mile range for this trip. Last spring we were at Kelly's Point camp for 3 nights combined with a bit of touring around the Az Strip. We rolled into a gas stop with 3 gallons in the tank. So, to keep my experiences short, once again, yes, always carry extra gas. JMO ( those rotopax? great for motorcycles but an extra 2-5 gallons doesn't do squat for a truck that gets 10mpg off road.) Good luck !!
I would love to be able to find a way to mount an auxillary tank in the rear tire space of my Xterra!

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
My LR4 (5.0L V8) gets somewhere between 12-15 (offroad) to 17 (highway without bad wind) and ~240-340 miles with the 20 gallon tank. I generally feel like that is enough for most trips, but it does require that you have that range number in your head all the time and it can occasionally mean you have to specifically alter plans for fuel or your risk profile can be different if a fuel stop doesn't work out.

So I think having some way to carry fuel can be nice just for piece of mind. Like all things though it is a tradeoff. Weight being a big one and usually it balances with water carry capacity which I generally think is even more important to carry. I really dislike putting fuel on a roof rack, not just for weight but leaks would freak me out. Also how you plan to get the fuel into the tank. I feel like a simple siphon hose can be the least messy. I love Wavian jerry cans but it can be kinda messy to pour one gracefully into a filler neck.

I decided to bite the bullet on a long range america tank in January. I think they won't build it till May and I need to send some measurements to them so they can build my dual filler neck with the right sized pipe.

Should give 50 gallons of fuel and up to 730+ miles of range, which is crazy.. but that means more options for when I fuel up.. what routes I take and opens up some fun options in canada to alaska or just skipping suspect fuel in mexico. (I actually just noticed one place said it was 29 gallons and one says 38 gallons.. so im not sure what I am getting...)

EDIT: turns out its 29 gallons or 108 liters. That will do!

View attachment 227604
Love this setup ... I wish Long Range built them for Xterras ... I may call them and provide some measurements to see if they could build something for me.

Reactions: Michael

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Yes, always, and it deserves an explanation. My 80 has, on a good day a 230 mile range off road, on highway 250. I carry two 5 gallon jerrys and another 6 gallon boat tank up top. Seems like a lot, but its not, its only a 350 mile range on the easiest of off road trips. Last September I ordered a 24 ga auxiliary tank from Long Range America. My installer is receiving it this week, I'll have it installed next month after we get back from this springs tour and I'll looking forward to carrying only one jerry can and extending my range to 500 miles +/-. This trip we have the challenge of leaving Hanksville, spending 5 nights in the Maze, then making our way down to Mexican Hat. The gas station at Hite is closed so I've some figuring to do to get me through as we had counted on the 500 mile range for this trip. Last spring we were at Kelly's Point camp for 3 nights combined with a bit of touring around the Az Strip. We rolled into a gas stop with 3 gallons in the tank. So, to keep my experiences short, once again, yes, always carry extra gas. JMO ( those rotopax? great for motorcycles but an extra 2-5 gallons doesn't do squat for a truck that gets 10mpg off road.) Good luck !!
You are going to LOVE it. Left Afton Canyon this AM in Mojave and drove all the way home to Dublin, CA no stops. I only had one cup of coffee in the AM :)

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I carry what a lot of people would consider to be an excessive amount of fuel in my LJ, but here's why;
My jeep gets about 8mpg and I typically travel about 270 miles to get to the trailhead of my favorite trail to camp on, and I pass a bunch of gas stations along the way, however the last gas station is about 32 miles from the trailhead and the trail itself is around 19 miles long. once I get out of the trail I am about 18 miles to the nearest gas station.
I carry 2 5 gallon race style jerry cans ( I just prefer how they pour) on a trip there, I put 1 in at the trail head and one in at the end. I camp somewhere in the middle.
this fills my tank for the trail and gives me about a half tank by the time I get back into a town.

OVERLANDeRoos

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger II

Green Cove Springs, FL, USA
First Name
Bradley
Last Name
DeRoo
Member #

Situational dependent, I have figured out my average gas mileage in 2wd, 4hi and 4lo and make a plan based off of that and our intended route. I am about 50/50 on bringing extra gas. I have never needed it but I am ever feeling like I may, or intend to do some exploring that I did not really plan out, then Ill bring some.

I just don't think there is a hard and fast black and white answer to this question. Every person and trip is different, and my pack out and gear list changes depending on that adventure!

12C20

Rank V
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

South Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Ellis
Member #

I was going to use the station at Hite on an upcoming trip. How do you know it’s closed? The answering machine gave hours and the couple of days a week they are closed. However, it made no indication they were closed for good. Not enough traffic?

I’d really like to do my UT trip without taking the extra fuel.
Gas stations in these small Western towns can be weird. Some close seasonally, some close early, some are closed down, and some are just GONE. I drove the Pony Express Trail expecting to find gas in Ibapah - a reservation town - and was surprised that I didn't even see a trace of a gas station there, despite what guide books said. I was glad to have my 2 jerry cans on my truck.

I guess you can do your research and then, for good measure, carry some fuel when going into unfamiliar places.

Like a gun, I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

Wow, I really thought 90% of the feedback on this thread was going to be "no, you don't need them in developed countries". Boy was I wrong.
Most of my travel is interstate with small stints offroad of <1-day and I've never gotten close. However, though, I am OCD about filling up at a half tank just in case and haven't gotten an opportunity yet to spend multiple days offroad.

I'm questioning the need to carry extra gas. In my many years of traveling (which include many trips in Baja), I've yet to be in a situation where I was about run out of gas. The cost of carrying extra fuel doesn't seem worth it. My 05 Tundra has a range of 300 miles, which seems plenty to me. I'm curious to see how many of you bring an extra can of gas with you on your trips? And if so, were you ever in need of it?
Depends on my trip. Yes if several days backcountry driving, no if not. Common sense is a valuable skill.