Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
On my LR Defender, the main fuel tank is under the floor of the vehicle in the rear. There is no pump in the tank, but there is a sender unit for the supply and return.

I had a problem with this on my last trip to the Sahara Desert. I had filled up the tank and suddenly noticed that diesel was leaking. Fortunately, I was still at the workshop where I had previously made an oil change gmacht. To find and repair the problem, we first had to pump out both tanks and then remove the main tank to get to the unit. The fault was quickly found and repaired. Pumping out, removing, reinstalling and filling the tank naturally takes a long time and is almost impossible in the field.

So another solution had to be found, in case something happens there again.

A maintenance flap must be installed in the bottom so that the hoses, connections and fuel sender unit can be accessed from above. No sooner said than done. Measured and marked. Sawing in this area is very tricky, because the tank is located just below the floor panel! I really had a lot of respect for that. So I first drilled a small hole and built a wooden stop limiter for the drill. Then I could see if I had hit exactly the center with my drawing. For sawing I decided to use an air saw. I could handle it nicely and it worked well. But I would still recommend removing the tank if necessary to be on the safe side. Because I kept sawing, checking, sawing, and so on. A cross brace also had to come out.

As kind of lid I used a 3mm aluminum sheet. This I have bolted in the bottom with four M4 bolts. For the fastening in the floor I put rivet nuts. Lacking suitable riveting pliers I did it with the bolt wrench trick. Also this went very well. As a seal serves a foam rubber plate, which I glued to the aluminum.

In the end, the cutted piece of carpet came back in place and the floor carpet was over it - nothing to see and yet quickly accessible if it should ever be necessary.

And now a few photos:

The start:

-1102305796_20230705_133049_3836963_resized.jpg

Measure twice, cut once:

1608683422_20230705_134624_3736611_resized.jpg

The big hole:

-1026591706_20230719_152609_3963939_resized.jpg

Installing the rivet nuts with two spanners:

-125585342_20230801_125638_4538403_resized.jpg

Floor carpet back in place:

1331872701_20230801_135038_3076311_resized.jpg

And done:

-1215792863_20230801_135229_4818622_resized.jpg

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Well done. Wish my GMT400 1994 Chevy Blazer Silverado had had a hatch like that, after all, my girlfriend's 90's Nissan sedan did. Seems a no brainer yet few manufacturers do it

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Little update on this. At first, I had decided against cutting out the cross strut as well. I thought then the floor lacked too much stability. Instead, I thought it would be better in doubt the tank sender unit to thread around the strut.

I looked at it again and today removed the strut - it is perfect and still enough stability in the floor. And I have left a piece of the strut right and left, in case I want to add there a piece of metal for stabilization with bolts, but I think that will be unnecessary.

Now I can get to the sender unit and fuellines really good in case of maintenance, cleaning and eventual repairs. Regular cleaning and control in this area is very useful, by the way, because it collects a lot of dirt and moisture up here. It's a perfect combination for corrosion, so I'll be looking in there as part of regular inspections in the future.

20230822_144519.jpg

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Bjoern, Looks good, very similar to the 109's(5 door) rear tank access. Where is the filler? Did I miss that? I put a second tank under the left seat and a filler for it on my 109 regular(3 door). I want to put in a rear tank also. The filler might have to go through one of the side lock boxes and I hate the thought of losing the storage space.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Bjoern, Looks good, very similar to the 109's(5 door) rear tank access. Where is the filler? Did I miss that? I put a second tank under the left seat and a filler for it on my 109 regular(3 door). I want to put in a rear tank also. The filler might have to go through one of the side lock boxes and I hate the thought of losing the storage space.

Hi Gene,

Thank you.

With the 110 this is the standard fuel tank under the rear floor. So, the filler is on the right hand side in the sidewall at the rear of the body. Let me check, maybe I find a photo later.

From the filler standard a tube runs down to the rear fuel tank. I took out a big piece of the tube and installed an aux fuel tank instead in between some years ago.

Bjoern

EDIT: attached a photo where you can see the filler on the right side at the rear of the body:

IMG_6480.JPG

Reactions: MazeVX