Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Not sure if you'all watched Mike's video on 'DIY Faucet in a 5 Gallon Water Can' on YouTube, but I was inspired to do the same.

I bought a 12v cigarette lighter adapter, cut the end off and hooked to my solar, electrical system inside the bed of the truck.

IMG_4520.jpeg

IMG_4525.jpeg

IMG_4526.jpeg

Connected the source and can via anderson plugs.

IMG_4528.jpeg

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Last edited:

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Parts list?

Plastic Water Can, Desert Sand, 5-gallon: https://amzn.to/2JafoH9

Clear Vinyl Tubing: https://amzn.to/3biAcZ5

12V Portable Submersible Water Pump: https://amzn.to/2xWL5Bg

12V Electric Water Faucet with a switch : https://amzn.to/39ktdxu

Fastronix 2 Pack Weatherproof Grommets for Wire Bundle: https://amzn.to/2wANBgn
I believe the grommet you listed above it the right size. The one I got was too big so I did not use it. Just drilled hole, slipped wires through, then siliconed around it.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

In the bed of my truck I have the OEM plug which is useless. I also have a blue sea 12V plug and 2 USB I installed. I use the 12v plug for my fridge. So I wonder if this pump would get enough power off the USB plug or am I better off putting a 2 way into the single 12V plug?

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
In the bed of my truck I have the OEM plug which is useless. I also have a blue sea 12V plug and 2 USB I installed. I use the 12v plug for my fridge. So I wonder if this pump would get enough power off the USB plug or am I better off putting a 2 way into the single 12V plug?
I was thinking about that as well. This way the setup would be more portable with more power options. The wires coming out of the faucet are pretty thick, maybe 12 gauge. Last time I opened up a USB wire it looked like a 16 gauge?

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I was thinking about that as well. This way the setup would be more portable with more power options. The wires coming out of the faucet are pretty thick, maybe 12 gauge. Last time I opened up a USB wire it looked like a 16 gauge?
Yeah I think the USBs only put out 2.5A. I'm just going to hold off. I'm looking for projects to keep me busy right now and this looked like fun but after the $177 is said and done I'll be back to where I was again and not need it.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I used a 7 gallon Aquatanier and a pump and switch off amazon and some wire hose and other stuff I had laying around and made this one for around $50.00 It certainly is not as fancy but it works for us.

20190918_132117.jpeg

Below is not our normal set up. The 7 Gallon jug will sit to the left of the tire and in a mount behind the table and we use a collapsible sink sitting on the table under the water pipe. It is deceiving but, both wooden tables are over 2 feet long.

table145608.jpg

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I used a 7 gallon Aquatanier and a pump and switch off amazon and some wire hose and other stuff I had laying around and made this one for around $50.00 It certainly is not as fancy but it works for us.

View attachment 147991

Below is not our normal set up. The 7 Gallon jug will sit to the left of the tire and in a mount behind the table and we use a collapsible sink sitting on the table under the water pipe. It is deceiving but, both wooden tables are over 2 feet long.

View attachment 147992
I could have used the same blue container but it’s in storage lol. Love that hitch setup. Always have.

Ctblackmon

Rank IV

Advocate III

Merryville La
First Name
Caleb
Last Name
Blackmon
Member #

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Not sure what happened. But that’s a cool idea. That’s something I’m going to have to do for my rig.
It easy to do. You could probably improvise as far as the container is concerned. I didn't end up using the grommet. But everything else listed in the OB video, I used.

Reactions: Ctblackmon