Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rochester, MN, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
L
Member #

I might have to give that a try one of these weekends when nothing else is going on! Sounds like a fun experiment.
Get a 102" whip and tune 10-40m.
That would be cool... But I'm not sure it's practical for my daily driver
A shorter CB antenna would probably work as well but maybe not as good.
I have a 2' firestik as well as a 5' one. I'll have to give them a try.

For serious attempts at HF I have the chameleon MPAS. I haven't spent a lot of time using it as I'm relatively new to HF, but I like it so far!

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
I left CB radio behind a long time ago. I just got tired of the potty mouth individuals out there all the time. Overlanding or traveling with family "especially with children" is supposed to be enjoyable without having your loved ones subjected to foul language. I went the ham radio direction and have recently started working with GMRS.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

CBs aren't anywhere near as chatty as they used to be, even on the big roads, and you'll go for days sometimes not hearing another soul.

Though they are still very handy, as has been noted in this thread, for backcountry places like the NMW and other deep forests where there are logging trucks. They have the right of way, and will come barreling around gravel corners and catch you off-guard. Some drivers will announce their location, and it's wise to announce yours if you're in a four-wheeler.

Also has been noted and not to be underestimated, is how very handy they are for when the big road turns into a parking lot because of an accident or construction up ahead. Then the truckers will get on the CB and start chatting to drivers going the other way about what happened up ahead, how many miles long the back up is, and which lanes are moving or not.

I led a whole convoy of four-wheelers once, in Kentucky with my van, on a long detour around a eight mile backup on I-75, because someone noticed I was on my radio, was punching stuff into the GPS on my dash, and had my signal on to get off at the exit. His passenger yelled up at me "You know a way around?"

I yelled back "Yep, follow me!" All of a sudden he and a whole bunch of others were sticking their arms out the window in a "C'mon!" wave, getting off the interstate behind me, and making every turn I was. I led 'em over to and up the Dixie Highway through a mess of small towns and up past Walton into Richwood, where I could see 75 N was running smooth. I turned towards the TA then onto the ramp for the Interstate and pulled over. One by one they passed by, honking their horns, yelling out their windows "Hey man, thank you!" and "You rock!" etc. I felt like a rock star.

Besides the weather channels, which I depend on regularly, traffic jam/parking lot workarounds is one of the main reasons I keep a CB around.

I need to create a better cushion mount for it, though, because I bounce it so much on washboard and backcountry roads it keeps breaking soldered connections. Then all that works is the 7 NOAA channels.

Burned out my yd1022 chip in my Cobra 29 ltd classic during this last big trip, as we were headed through Nebraska outrunning some real nasty weather. Started smelling and smoking. So I unplugged it and when I pulled over for coffee I swapped it out with my older 25 wx, which worked fine the rest of the trip. Now I'm on a hunt for an elusive chip not made anymore

Reactions: Road

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Might be easier to get a new rig. Cheaper too.

Laurits

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Laurits
Last Name
Jorgensen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HamHead
Service Branch
USNCB (Seabees)
Bottom line: I have the compact Cobra CB with all the controls in the mic. I just bought the midland mxt275, which is the GMRS equivalent.

I realize most are moving towards GMRS over CB for overland/off-road comms, but I've found value in having the CB during road trips for traffic updates beyond what Google maps can provide (for example, what lane to be in to get through the traffic jam faster, detours, etc.)

Should I ditch the CB completely or just take the antenna down and disconnect the mic and stow it all unless I think I'll need it? I also have a mobile ham radio, so I'm not relying on the GMRS radio for more distant comms.

Curious as to what others' opinions are on this.

Thanks!
I have the same CB and a HAM radio that also can access GMRS frequencies with a dedicated antenna for each. I suggest you install both because they have different uses and benefits. I actually use the CB more.

JeepGuy91

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rochester, MN, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
L
Member #

I left CB radio behind a long time ago. I just got tired of the potty mouth individuals out there all the time. Overlanding or traveling with family "especially with children" is supposed to be enjoyable without having your loved ones subjected to foul language. I went the ham radio direction and have recently started working with GMRS.
I agree. I used to always have the CB on for potential traffic updates/getting advance notification of backups, etc., but I often found myself driving with my wife or my mom and due to the language having to turn it down to a point where it's not even useful to have it on anymore.

With my VHF/UHF ham rig I'm not worried about that at all. GMRS...kinda depends. I would say there's still some foul language, but usually not on repeaters from what I've seen. Plus, you can always enable CTCSS/DCS when out on a trail. We just did a trip to Moab with my parents and my dad and I both used DCS in our Jeeps and had zero issues with interference.

JeepGuy91

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rochester, MN, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
L
Member #

I put Anderson Powerpole connectors on everything and have one of the Cobra CBs where all the controls are on the mic. It lives under the seat and if I ever want to use it, I just plug it into the power distribution block under the seat and put a firestick antenna (stowed with the spare tire) on my mag mount. I haven't added GMRS yet but this was my plan to be able to switch back and forth easily.
That's actually a great idea. I was just thinking about hardwiring my GMRS radio, but didn't want to run more wires through the firewall. I may end up clipping them on the CB and the GMRS and adding powerpoles so I can easily swap them out off the same wires.

If you like that Cobra CB with everything in the hand mic, check out the Midland MXT275...same concept. Ive had it for about 2 months and I like it so far.

Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: J.W.

JeepGuy91

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rochester, MN, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
L
Member #

CBs aren't anywhere near as chatty as they used to be, even on the big roads, and you'll go for days sometimes not hearing another soul.

Though they are still very handy, as has been noted in this thread, for backcountry places like the NMW and other deep forests where there are logging trucks. They have the right of way, and will come barreling around gravel corners and catch you off-guard. Some drivers will announce their location, and it's wise to announce yours if you're in a four-wheeler.

Also has been noted and not to be underestimated, is how very handy they are for when the big road turns into a parking lot because of an accident or construction up ahead. Then the truckers will get on the CB and start chatting to drivers going the other way about what happened up ahead, how many miles long the back up is, and which lanes are moving or not.

I led a whole convoy of four-wheelers once, in Kentucky with my van, on a long detour around a eight mile backup on I-75, because someone noticed I was on my radio, was punching stuff into the GPS on my dash, and had my signal on to get off at the exit. His passenger yelled up at me "You know a way around?"

I yelled back "Yep, follow me!" All of a sudden he and a whole bunch of others were sticking their arms out the window in a "C'mon!" wave, getting off the interstate behind me, and making every turn I was. I led 'em over to and up the Dixie Highway through a mess of small towns and up past Walton into Richwood, where I could see 75 N was running smooth. I turned towards the TA then onto the ramp for the Interstate and pulled over. One by one they passed by, honking their horns, yelling out their windows "Hey man, thank you!" and "You rock!" etc. I felt like a rock star.

Besides the weather channels, which I depend on regularly, traffic jam/parking lot workarounds is one of the main reasons I keep a CB around.

I need to create a better cushion mount for it, though, because I bounce it so much on washboard and backcountry roads it keeps breaking soldered connections. Then all that works is the 7 NOAA channels.

I had an experience like that once, but the other way around. A trucker gave me a tip on how to use back roads to divert around a huge traffic jam just south of the Cincinnati area a few years ago. It was awesome! There ended up being a handful of us that took that route. It probably saved us 2 hours!

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Either way you look at it a CB is still, “and will be for a long time” a viable communications device. I have mine sitting on a shelf in my radio room. If I need it I can hook it up and I’m on the air. Maybe not for overlanding but …. Never say never.

Reactions: JeepGuy91

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

If you like that Cobra CB with everything in the hand mic, check out the Midland MXT275...same concept. Ive had it for about 2 months and I like it so far.

Thanks for the tip!
Yup, the 275 is what I plan to get. Just waiting for the FCC to drop the fee to $35 before I get everything. Cheers

Reactions: JeepGuy91

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
The CB is also useful for traveling on the highway. Listening to the truckers can keep you from getting stuck in a backup.
Google maps has been far better at this over the last, I dunno decade now? It warns me of backups and gives me routing around it. And yes there are areas where you won't have cell signal on highways but those aren't typically areas where traffic backups are an issue.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Google maps has been far better at this over the last, I dunno decade now? It warns me of backups and gives me routing around it. And yes there are areas where you won't have cell signal on highways but those aren't typically areas where traffic backups are an issue.
On a trip Boston to Florida and back, within the past 2 years, there was a backup on the highway. Previous to that but on the same trip, I had been routed and rerouted, in some of the most ridiculous ways, seemingly just to shave a single minute off the arrival time. Sometimes I was routed in counterintuitive directions, and often these apps will route you through certain tolls, if it is also set to bring you a fast way.

Well, at this backup I was rerouted again, but was unsure of why I was headed the way I was. I got on the CB and all the truckers were chattering. They said it was a 12 mile backup. I told them where i was being routed and they told me some other roads to take.

Gave me the confidence to follow what appeared to be a dubious route. I came back on the highway just ahead of the mess.

That and the fact that if I am listening to my own music and not a radio, I can rest assured my CB with weather alert is going to crackle to life, scaring the bejeezus out of me, and give me an update, no matter what else I'm listening to.

I reize I have weather on my FRS radios, but (I think?) without towers thier range can be more limited than CB. Nicer, clearer signal, but I think there is some need of infrastructure there? And while I'm happy to use that while it's up and running and active, if it's not, it wont be much use.

I've never gotten my HAM, so I dont know what kind of weather you can get from that range. I understand there are more communication channels available at greater distance, but I've just never gone to get it.

So I'll hang on to a CB for the forseeable

5280Ranger

Rank V

Traveler III

Colorado
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Brandon
Member #

I say keep the CB. You can never have too many methods of communication. I have the MXT275, which is great, but I will add a CB and HAM later. I miss the days of CB only, simply because different groups are on different comms and if you don't have their method, you can't communicate.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
On a trip Boston to Florida and back, within the past 2 years, there was a backup on the highway. Previous to that but on the same trip, I had been routed and rerouted, in some of the most ridiculous ways, seemingly just to shave a single minute off the arrival time. Sometimes I was routed in counterintuitive directions, and often these apps will route you through certain tolls, if it is also set to bring you a fast way.

Well, at this backup I was rerouted again, but was unsure of why I was headed the way I was. I got on the CB and all the truckers were chattering. They said it was a 12 mile backup. I told them where i was being routed and they told me some other roads to take.

Gave me the confidence to follow what appeared to be a dubious route. I came back on the highway just ahead of the mess.

That and the fact that if I am listening to my own music and not a radio, I can rest assured my CB with weather alert is going to crackle to life, scaring the bejeezus out of me, and give me an update, no matter what else I'm listening to.

I reize I have weather on my FRS radios, but (I think?) without towers thier range can be more limited than CB. Nicer, clearer signal, but I think there is some need of infrastructure there? And while I'm happy to use that while it's up and running and active, if it's not, it wont be much use.

I've never gotten my HAM, so I dont know what kind of weather you can get from that range. I understand there are more communication channels available at greater distance, but I've just never gone to get it.

So I'll hang on to a CB for the forseeable
The NOAA weather frequencies aren't different between CB, HAM or GMRS/FRS. In other words the infrastructure to transmit this information isn't any different, only the boxes the receivers are in and the antennas you receive it on. These transmitters operate around 1000 watts so even the little FRS radios with their stubby antennas can usually easily pickup a NOAA frequency.

Here are the 7 NOAA weather radio frequencies.

WX1 - 162.550 MHz

WX2 - 162.400 MHz

WX3 - 162.475 MHz

WX4 - 162.425 MHz

WX5 - 162.450 MHz

WX6 - 162.500 MHz

WX7 - 162.525 MHz

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Check out the thread on Mid Maine. They say that all the logging trucks uo there use CB. So if you are ever heading up there, I guess dont ditch the CB
When i was in East Central Oregon years ago, they also had signs up on the dirt back roads reminding people to monitor CB for on-coming logging trucks.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
When i was in East Central Oregon years ago, they also had signs up on the dirt back roads reminding people to monitor CB for on-coming logging trucks.
They don’t any more. Even the logging road just out side of town used to have a sign as of 2 years ago which has since been taken down because the company has switched over to commercial band radios…

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
This is perhaps interesting for those here who are traveling in Europe and thinking about CB:
For example in Germany, CB radio is also used to automatically sent out warnings from mobile construction sites, slow-moving working machines and the like on highways. This warning is intended to prevent serious accidents which are recurring, unfortunately. And thus to save lives. The warning signal gets sentout by small transmitters mounted at the signs/ machines. The warning is given in different languages, depending on the frequency/ channel switched on. As far as I know, there is a similar system in Austria in place Furthermore, there is a very similar technical possibility in place that enables emergency vehicles to warn of their approach.

Reactions: Downs