Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rochester, MN, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
L
Member #

Bottom line: I have the compact Cobra CB with all the controls in the mic. I just bought the midland mxt275, which is the GMRS equivalent.

I realize most are moving towards GMRS over CB for overland/off-road comms, but I've found value in having the CB during road trips for traffic updates beyond what Google maps can provide (for example, what lane to be in to get through the traffic jam faster, detours, etc.)

Should I ditch the CB completely or just take the antenna down and disconnect the mic and stow it all unless I think I'll need it? I also have a mobile ham radio, so I'm not relying on the GMRS radio for more distant comms.

Curious as to what others' opinions are on this.

Thanks!

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I keep my Cobra CB in the van all the time, though mostly for the 7 NOAA weather channels. They've saved my ass more than once with localized up-to-date reports of tornadoes and flooding.

Problem I have is it getting jarred around on rocky back country trails and washboard roads. Where I usually keep it mounted on the dash, it ends up breaking a soldered connection, which still then allows the NOAA channels but not CB chatter, which is next to non-existent on the big road now anyway. Though I do like it for occasional local traffic updates and work-arounds of stalled miles of traffic, so will fix it again and mount it with more cushion.

I've found, too, that having both a CB antenna on the roof near the front and the weBoost antenna on back roof--along with a sticker on my doors, locals and sometimes even LEO think I'm official of some sort or work with university research, so don't mess with me.

JeepGuy91

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rochester, MN, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
L
Member #

I keep my Cobra CB in the van all the time, though mostly for the 7 NOAA weather channels. They've saved my ass more than once with localized up-to-date reports of tornadoes and flooding.

Problem I have is it getting jarred around on rocky back country trails and washboard roads. Where I usually keep it mounted on the dash, it ends up breaking a soldered connection, which still then allows the NOAA channels but not CB chatter, which is next to non-existent on the big road now anyway. Though I do like it for occasional local traffic updates and work-arounds of stalled miles of traffic, so will fix it again and mount it with more cushion.

I've found, too, that having both a CB antenna on the roof near the front and the weBoost antenna on back roof--along with a sticker on my doors, locals and sometimes even LEO think I'm official of some sort or work with university research, so don't mess with me.
The weather radio is definitely valuable. I'm personally not factoring it into my decision though since it's built into all 3 radios I currently have in the Jeep.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I have a Cobra 25 with 7 weather channels. Love the weather feature. I swapped it out for a peaked and tuned Cobra 29 with an extra 80 channels (40 above and 40 below) but no weather. Wanted to see what the extra power and channels got me. True there isnt much chatter in the NE, but I hear some along the rt 95 corridor between here and Florida, as far west as Tennessee.

Also I have a couple Cobra MicroTalk 121 channel FRS/GRMS and they have weather as well. I keep them handy and charged when traveling.

Ham? Maybe someday.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I leave the CB at home these days. It has probably been 3 or 4 years since I powered it up.

My Kenwood ham radio has sever weather alerts (like a weather radio in your home) and I can easily listen to any weather channel. Plus my old CB only had 3 weather channels.

JeepGuy91

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rochester, MN, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
L
Member #

I have 3 antennas on my Jeep, I dont have any more real estate for a 4th so CB is out. haha.
I think this is my main focus... Antennas. I'm already not thrilled about the placement of my CB antenna, which is bolted to the fender. I think I'm going to remove it and stow it somewhere. All I need to put it back on is a 10mm socket if I remember correctly, and the Wrangler came with a kit for the hard top that includes a 10mm socket.

I'm tempted to get the A-pillar mount and use a ghost style antenna for GMRS.

DieselRamOverlander

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Clovis, CA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Thissell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRMP824
NICE!!!

Reactions: Road

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Ditch it. Dead weight is dead weight.

Everybody is switching to hams. Murphy calls it perfectly again. As soon as 99% of us are on GMRS, everyone will switch to hams.

• Haha
Reactions: RoarinRow

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I have all three. But I say keep it... Solar Cycle 25 is coming to life and in another year or two (maybe sooner) the propagation on 11m (CB) will open up again and they will gain popularity again. But for those of us wanting trail coms, 2m ham can’t be beat. My GMRS radio is a receiver only... I transmit on 2m or Civilian Band

Overland Coasty

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Taylor County, Texas, United States
First Name
Roy
Last Name
White
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5STQ
I have all three in my jeep. I never know what will work if I need to get help. GMRS has only been good for me with the group of guys I go with. CB and Ham can almost always get someone outside the group. Especially is you do a little research on local repeaters for the area you are going to.