Death Valley - 1st family Overland Trip planning (need advice)

• HTML tutorial

OverLandCruiser

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Claremont, CA, USA
Member #

Hello OB Friends!

I'm in the early stages of planning my first trip with the kids. We're thinking about a trip to DV for Veteran's Day weekend. I'd prefer not to stay at any campsites (doubtful any are available this late anyway) so I could use your help and suggestions on routes and camp locations.

We're traveling in a 2018 Land Cruiser, basically stock with the exception of BFG KO2's.
I'll be pulling a SoCal TearDrop trailer (rented from Off The Grid).

The route that I am thinking thus far is,
Day 1 - L.A. to Trona Pinnacles for night one.
Day 2 - Pinnacles to Ballarat through Geologist Cabin and up Warm Springs Road (possibly camping at Warm Springs Camp (?? Can a stock LC make this route? I've ridden Goler Wash and don't think that's an option for me)
Day 3 - Titus Canyon and more DV exploring. Need advice on camping.
Day 4 - Return to L.A.

I've only been to DV twice so I don't know it too well so any advice is appreciated. My kids are 10 and 13. They're pretty much game for any adventure so we're open to suggestions.

Again, thank you for your input and advice!!

Jeff

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I can not help you on days 1-2, but on day 3, after exploring Titus canyon, AND you coming back out the same way, check out Ryolite ghost town next door. You can see it from the Titus Canyon entrance(Nevada side)Then go over the hill to Beatty NV for fuel and snacks about 7 miles away. Watch for a herd of burros who travel in and out of town, especially at dawn each morning.

The fastest way and probably the straightest route is South on US-95 towards Vegas. When you get to Armagosa Jct (rest stop is there + fuel), turn right towards Death Valley Jct. When you get there continue onward towards Shoshone CA, then onward to Bakersfield past Dumont Dunes and then turn South on I-15 to LA. That cut's out the Vegas/Pahrump section which would put you to far east, requiring a dog-leg turn on I-15 much further East.

If someone can ad to this please do.:confused:

Luinil Explorations

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Wherever I am at the moment
First Name
Larrie is
Last Name
sharing our travels with the world.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7WDX
Between the geologist cabin and Goler Wash is an uphill bolder field that a stock vehicle will not be able to handle. Am not sure there is a bypass around it. Camping at Warm Spring is allowed. IIRC Titus Canyon is one way east to west. Both Goler and Titus are beautiful drives.

Reactions: OverLandCruiser

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Between the geologist cabin and Goler Wash is an uphill bolder field that a stock vehicle will not be able to handle. Am not sure there is a bypass around it. Camping at Warm Spring is allowed. IIRC Titus Canyon is one way east to west. Both Goler and Titus are beautiful drives.
I did not know it was one-way. Rolling past it, i have seen vehicles exiting onto Beatty road. Oh well...scratch my idea.

Luinil Explorations

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Wherever I am at the moment
First Name
Larrie is
Last Name
sharing our travels with the world.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7WDX
The very west end of Titus Canyon is two way to the parking lot then one way, headed west, from there east through the canyon. The very east end is two way and then changes to one way headed west. Sorry I was not clear in my earlier post.

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

Second that. The Mengel pass road is a gatekeeper for stock vehicles, but a decent off road worthy stock vehicle can make it (Rubicon, TRD Off-Road/Pro, Power Wagon, etc.). No bypass.

Lunch Box

Rank IV

Advocate II

Get yourself over to the California side to Rainbow Canyon (36.3658N 117.5015W). Also know as Star Wars Canyon. If you get there on a good flying day, you can watch Air Force and Navy/MC fighter jets practicing low level/high speed maneuvering in what they call the Jedi Transition. From the canyon rim, you can watch the jets flying BELOW you. Awesome stuff and proof positive that the average fighter jockey is two notches north of insane.

OverLandCruiser

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Claremont, CA, USA
Member #

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I ended up going out to Alabama Hills and wheeled up through Mazourka Canyon and up to the Ancient Bristlepine Forrest then down to Bishop. Really bitchen loop, BTW. We opted out of DV this trip due to the 3 day weekend and lack of an actual route laid out.

I've ridden my BMW GSA up Gohler Wash and knew that wasn't an option and assumed the rest of the trails heading up from Ballarat and that area would likely be the same. I'm definitely looking forward to meeting up with some locals who can share some routes for my (for now) stock LC.

Thanks for the input, all.

Jeff