Colorado Tear Drop vs Overkill Campers

• HTML tutorial

Otis Porsche

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Glad to hear your trailer arrived!
We rented an Overkill S.O.5.10 from ROVE for a 2 week Moab trip. Wanted to experience it and see if our rig and it would play nice. We have been ground tenting for well over 30 years. Having a trailer, the Overkill in particular, is a very nice way to travel. Any questions of what it would be like towing were resolved driving the Shafer Switchbacks 19% grade, off-camber hair-pin turns, w/o guard rails. While the Shafer's surface was groomed, going to dispersed campsites the trails were technical. Had no issues doing any of this. The trailer was like a hotel room coming from a ground tent. Only downside was the added fuel consumption which was to be expected towing anything.
51714255116_19970bef80_o.jpg
Shafer Switchbacks hugging the canyon wall
51714519458_a6a185c77a_o.jpg
Bottom of the Shafer Switchbacks on our way to Moab proper.
29871832258_dcfc800a7c_o.jpg
ARB room and tent set-up we have used for many years.

Bat21

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Pima County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Ancona
Member #

I saw these guys at the expo in Flagstaff...I knew it was the one I wanted. My jeep is limited to what it can tow, so I opted for the smaller model.

I'm hoping to get it our and take all over!

Have you decided on which one you want?

Maybe we will bump into each other one day!

Cheers

Reactions: Otis Porsche

Otis Porsche

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I saw these guys at the expo in Flagstaff...I knew it was the one I wanted. My jeep is limited to what it can tow, so I opted for the smaller model. I'm hoping to get it our and take all over! Have you decided on which one you want? Maybe we will bump into each other one day! Cheers
Hope to visit Bend soon -
Our 958 can tow 7700# - but all tow ratings are for flat & level surfaces. Glad the Overkill S.O.5.10 handled as well as it did in Moab with our rig. Big reason for us looking at trailers is to do more winter trips. Will keep in touch for future trips. Looking forward to hearing how you like your TK on trail!
PS - we have appointments to test drive the Ineos Grenadier next month - wanting to find out its specifications.

BennyGoodman

Rank I

Contributor III

Ohio, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Goodman

Glad it's working out for you two...kind of? Updates to ExPort forums paint a more troubling picture.

awdxtc

Rank I

Contributor III

Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Eckenrode
I saw these guys at the expo in Flagstaff...I knew it was the one I wanted. My jeep is limited to what it can tow, so I opted for the smaller model.

Cheers
What issues did you have and have they been resolved?

Bat21

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Pima County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Ancona
Member #

Cheers
What issues did you have and have they been resolved?

Kind of a bitter sweet story. There were a lot of "bugs" to be worked out. The solar wasn't connected...the awning brackets weren't installed properly...forgot to send the key to open it...Mostly small snags. However, they were always reachable and were doing their best to help me. It was challenging since they are 1200 miles away. There are still some small issues, but, overall I am pleased with it. I did a walk around and an outing video on my channel...

AZHOBBIEZ

CMac

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ashburn, VA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
McIntyre
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4UNO
Service Branch
USN
Sigh. I'd love the 510 Slide Out....but I'm getting to the point in my life that I'm done with "chronic projects," especially on things that are supposed to be fun.