US Rocky Mountain Colorado and beyond

• HTML tutorial

Ahmed

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Houston, TX, USA
Member #

According to online sources, the Armada has an inch more minimum clearance than my stock Avalanche. I've made multiple trips over Imogene, Cinnamon, Engineer, Stony, Corkscrew, California, Hurricane and Ophir Passes.
Thanks for the info Neal, apologies for my ignorance as I'm so much not familiar with the terrain here. The attached pic is the kind of terrain I'm familiar with.

Attachments

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Thanks for the info Neal, apologies for my ignorance as I'm so much not familiar with the terrain here. The attached pic is the kind of terrain I'm familiar with.
I get it. No apologies needed.

The difficulty in the majority of the popular Colorado high mountain passes often comes from the pucker factor of the high elevation shelf roads and not a loss of traction or big obstacles. Having said that, many of these passes are often just rocky enough to cause slow travel and sometimes require careful tire placement, but they can usually be traversed in a stocker with an experienced driver. I see stock vehicles on them every time I'm there. Black Bear Pass is one that's still on my bucket list where my stock clearance could be a challenge. Maybe this year. :D

Reactions: old_man and Ahmed

ovrlnd_escape

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

DeSoto County, Mississippi, United States
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kephart
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
Actually some of the mountain passes between Trinidad and telluride would be a bit tough in a stock Nissan Armada. They tend to sit low to the ground with little clearance. Made more for highway comfort.
According to online sources, the Armada has an inch more minimum clearance than my stock Avalanche. I've made multiple trips over Imogene, Cinnamon, Engineer, Stony, Corkscrew, California, Hurricane and Ophir Passes.
Thanks for the info. Let me ask you this, Have you ever run the trans America trail?

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
@Kep01 , I've done the bulk of the more famous TAT sections such as those west of Lake City. Most of the rest are largely dirt roads.

One interesting section that I haven't done is Hancock Pass which is just west of Salida / Buena Vista. We had hoped to do that at the June Jam, but it wasn't yet cleared of snow. (I've since seen notice that it is clear now.) Hancock Pass difficulty is rated similarly to Imogene Pass. More info on it here: Hancock Pass - Colorado Offroad Trail

Having said that, I am aware of different TAT routes through Colorado so lets be sure we're on the same page. Here's a Gaia screen shot of the orange TAT route I have through Salida. Does yours match this? Salida is right in that u-turn at the south end:

ovrlnd_escape

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kephart
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
@Kep01 , I've done the bulk of the more famous TAT sections such as those west of Lake City. Most of the rest are largely dirt roads.

One interesting section that I haven't done is Hancock Pass which is just west of Salida / Buena Vista. We had hoped to do that at the June Jam, but it wasn't yet cleared of snow. (I've since seen notice that it is clear now.) Hancock Pass difficulty is rated similarly to Imogene Pass. More info on it here: Hancock Pass - Colorado Offroad Trail

Having said that, I am aware of different TAT routes through Colorado so lets be sure we're on the same page. Here's a Gaia screen shot of the orange TAT route I have through Salida. Does yours match this? Salida is right in that u-turn at the south end:

I have 3 different ones and one of mine match yours. I have run the Tat from Tennessee to Nevada. Had to skip Colorado due to snow but I can say that Utah is by far the hardest section so far. Switchbacks like black bear pass.
As for the Colorado part, I haven’t run any of it at all. But based on past experiences anyone who travels with me needs to be prepared for anything.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW

I have 3 different ones and one of mine match yours. I have run the Tat from Tennessee to Nevada. Had to skip Colorado due to snow but I can say that Utah is by far the hardest section so far. Switchbacks like black bear pass.
As for the Colorado part, I haven’t run any of it at all. But based on past experiences anyone who travels with me needs to be prepared for anything.
You're likely to see significant switchbacks here as well. Have you decided which TAT route you'll follow?

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I get it. No apologies needed.

The difficulty in the majority of the popular Colorado high mountain passes often comes from the pucker factor of the high elevation shelf roads and not a loss of traction or big obstacles. Having said that, many of these passes are often just rocky enough to cause slow travel and sometimes require careful tire placement, but they can usually be traversed in a stocker with an experienced driver. I see stock vehicles on them every time I'm there. Black Bear Pass is one that's still on my bucket list where my stock clearance could be a challenge. Maybe this year. :D
I have led multiple raw neophytes over Black Bear in bone stock XJ's before. You might scrape just a bit if you don't do good tire placement on the steps above the falls but it is nothing hard. The biggest issue is the switchback after the falls. If you know how, it is a piece of cake but for a flat lander it has a high pucker factor.

ovrlnd_escape

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kephart
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
Hope you guys are having fun, just came back and had tons of fun myself. Made the Ophir Pass with no issues in my stock Armada following the lead of some awesome fellow overlanders. Can't wait for my next trip. Cheers
Congratulations on your trip through Ophir. That’s a great ride for sure. We ran everything but black bear pass.

Reactions: Ahmed