Launch Member

Enthusiast III

CNY
First Name
Simply
Last Name
AnAdventure
Member #

Since this was an upstate NY thread, was hoping I could catch some attention. Taking my first real trip in my new setup and was going to head to the Finger Lakes National Forest for some dispersed camping. Saw the coordinates below for one sight and thought I would check out the route that this meet up was originally scheduled for, but any other tips?
Hello!

so there isn’t really much legal if any dispersed camping in NY. Finger Lakes NF has some spots that you reserve but they’re actual spots. I’ve found there’s spots that will work but aren’t really like you find out west, it’s more like I’ll kind of tuck and here and spend the night. Just the way NY. Off the top of my head if you’re willing to head up to the ADKs there is definitely free camping but central NY is much more limited.

I had pretty great luck recently down near Deposit NY but again, not legal, just hidden…. Not sure how far you’re coming up or when but Harvest Host or state campgrounds might be a better choice for NY.

I live in Central NY if you need any direction.
Good luck!

cgflyer

US East Region Member Rep, MD
Investor

Traveler III

Lorton, VA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
McCullough
Member #

Service Branch
USCG Retired
Since this was an upstate NY thread, was hoping I could catch some attention. Taking my first real trip in my new setup and was going to head to the Finger Lakes National Forest for some dispersed camping. Saw the coordinates below for one sight and thought I would check out the route that this meet up was originally scheduled for, but any other tips?
Hello!

so there isn’t really much legal if any dispersed camping in NY. Finger Lakes NF has some spots that you reserve but they’re actual spots. I’ve found there’s spots that will work but aren’t really like you find out west, it’s more like I’ll kind of tuck and here and spend the night. Just the way NY. Off the top of my head if you’re willing to head up to the ADKs there is definitely free camping but central NY is much more limited.

I had pretty great luck recently down near Deposit NY but again, not legal, just hidden…. Not sure how far you’re coming up or when but Harvest Host or state campgrounds might be a better choice for NY.

I live in Central NY if you need any direction.
Good luck!
Pretty sure dispersed camping is legal in all National Forests, at least my research for the TAT a few years ago said it was. Not looking for campgrounds, just not my thing. And the original post for this meetup says “dispersed camping” in a state forest. I know a lot of state forests require a paid permit, but as long as you have a permit, there are plenty of dispersed or secluded designated camp sites off forest roads. National Forest roads are legal to traverse as long as they aren’t gated and you can camp off those roads as long as you’re not leaving any destruction in your wake. That is my understanding.

simplyanadventure

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

CNY
First Name
Simply
Last Name
AnAdventure
Member #

Pretty sure dispersed camping is legal in all National Forests, at least my research for the TAT a few years ago said it was. Not looking for campgrounds, just not my thing. And the original post for this meetup says “dispersed camping” in a state forest. I know a lot of state forests require a paid permit, but as long as you have a permit, there are plenty of dispersed or secluded designated camp sites off forest roads. National Forest roads are legal to traverse as long as they aren’t gated and you can camp off those roads as long as you’re not leaving any destruction in your wake. That is my understanding.

This might be of help to you and you bring up a good point. Primitive camping is allowed in lots of places in NY providing your 50-150(depending on the area)ft away from roads, water, trails, ect…. Since we’re on the OB forum I assumed you’d be vehicle camping but yes, you can tent camp in lots of spots up here.

Morgan Hill, in the original post does have some spots you can use in a vehicle, the most remote free dispersed camping we have in NY is in Moose River Plains, it’s nearly endless up there.