Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Keep in mind those batteries are expensive and like all batteries have a short life compared to gas engines. Expect 3-5 years out of most batteries.

Reactions: Kent R

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Figured I'd report back on my Stihl MSA-200 now that I've got a few miles on it.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/battery-saws/msa200cbq/

Unless I'm going out to harvest firewood or fall trees this is now my goto saw. I've had it on a few trail runs now and it has done everything I've needed it to. Had a 4 day trip this month. Battery lasted the whole trip on a single charge. Some trail clearing some simple firewood duties. One day runs it normally returns home still showing 4/4 bars of charge.

I have not tried to figure out a way to charge from the truck yet.

For anyone looking for an occasional use saw or trail saw I can't see not buying a battery saw over a gas unit. Especially city folk who really don't have a use for a chainsaw around the house. The advantages are greater than disadvanges IMO.

Now to save up for a MS-461 for when there is real work to do.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
B207E190-EB09-4E22-B45E-F73AD543875A.jpeg
Now to save up for a MS-461 for when there is real work to do.
No shame in a small saw, I absolutely love my 201T! That being said it will be hard for me to ever get rid of my 461.

FYI, the 461 is getting phased out this year to the 462 which has an electronic carb adjustment. Late this year, early next year will introduce the ms500i which will be the first stihl fuel injected saw that has more power than a 461 but is significantly lighter. At $1900 it isn’t cheap but I will be inline for one for sure.

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

View attachment 55591

No shame in a small saw, I absolutely love my 201T! That being said it will be hard for me to ever get rid of my 461.

FYI, the 461 is getting phased out this year to the 462 which has an electronic carb adjustment. Late this year, early next year will introduce the ms500i which will be the first stihl fuel injected saw that has more power than a 461 but is significantly lighter. At $1900 it isn’t cheap but I will be inline for one for sure.
No shame on my end. Just tired of overworking my 290 during firewood season. I know the 462 is coming. Might go that direction depending on price and when I can actually pull the trigger. FI would be great but I can't justify a $1900 saw. A grand is really a stretch.

Reactions: Cort

Tex68w

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Victoria, Texas
Member #

I have a 201T as well, it has become my favorite saw as of late. I like my MS441 R C-M, but I too am waiting on the 462 to hit our shores and the new 500 fuel injected saw will certainly be the future. I would like to jump on one when they become available, but I might let the first run or generation work out all of the bugs before I invest.

Reactions: Paladin2020

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I have a 201T as well, it has become my favorite saw as of late. I like my MS441 R C-M, but I too am waiting on the 462 to hit our shores and the new 500 fuel injected saw will certainly be the future. I would like to jump on one when they become available, but I might let the first run or generation work out all of the bugs before I invest.
The new 500 has the same engine as the concrete cutter that’s been out for some time. It’s rock solid. The only issues it’s had is due to lack of maintenance with build up of concrete dust, other than that it’s a killer.

No saw has a better power to weight ratio than the 461, the 462 will be the same. The 500 will crush it.

Once you get 10-14 fuel tanks through your 201T it will really open up. Wicked little guy. People make fun of it until they see me run it and realize it’s more powerful than whatever full size they have.

Tex68w

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Victoria, Texas
Member #

The new 500 has the same engine as the concrete cutter that’s been out for some time. It’s rock solid. The only issues it’s had is due to lack of maintenance with build up of concrete dust, other than that it’s a killer.

No saw has a better power to weight ratio than the 461, the 462 will be the same. The 500 will crush it.

Once you get 10-14 fuel tanks through your 201T it will really open up. Wicked little guy. People make fun of it until they see me run it and realize it’s more powerful than whatever full size they have.

I have 8-9 tanks through the 201T so far, runs like a scalded ape. I’m seriously blown away with the power of that little saw, it rips through everything with ease! My buddy still swears on his highly coveted 200, but I’ll make a convert of him before too long.

Yea I know the motor is the same as the stone saw, but I still foresee growing pains with a new platform regardless. I’m excited about it regardless and it’ll likely end up in my quiver likely kicking the 441 to the curb or someone else’s workshop.

Yakcrin

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

h7l3l5, laval canada
Member #

Question: where # how do you usualy carry CS, and special rack mount? on front runner roof?
mine is a Echo 370, does the work pretty good, not to heavy, and easy to manipulate.
thx

Reactions: PinnaclePete

Haminacan

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbia City, Indiana
First Name
First
Last Name
Lastname
Member #

I carry a greenworks 12" battery powered(2 batteries)saw with me. Only took 2.5 batteries to cut down and make 16" logs of the 50' pine tree that was where my pole barn was going.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Jonathan Moreno

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

Corvus

Rank 0

Traveler I

Raleigh

Attachments

Reactions: Corbet

Corvus

Rank 0

Traveler I

Raleigh
I'll likely carry along the guy on the far left of my little collection there...it fires up in two pulls and it is meannnn. Do yourself some research on the Pro Mac series if you aren't familiar and try to pick one up from a garage sale cheap. That saw was sitting in a guys shed for almost twenty years. I blew out the air filter, mixed some gas, and it fired up in four pulls. Oh, and there's my mantle decoration saw ;)

Attachments

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

I bring my STIHL 025 16'' saw with me when I go camping out in the dense forrest. There is loads to learn about the safety of saws and how they work before operating one safety and properly.

"Much like a firearm; chain saws are tools not toys. Never loose the respect for the saw or it will be bound to bite you."

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
I just picked up the new DeWalt 60v FlexVolt 16" Chainsaw. The new batteries and brushless motors of the flexvolt line have really impressed me in the past year. Even running the table saw and mitersaw constantly, the batteries last for HOURS. I also picked up a new 9 amp hour battery to go with the Chainsaw so I really dont have any concerns about running out of juice on the trail. I figure if I hit a run of downed trees and I kill both batteries trying to get through.... Ill be exhausted and turn around anyway.

The saw is small, light and packs away easily but the best part is that its QUIET with no extra gas/oil to worry about.
I’ve been eyeballing these given I’ve already got too many dewalt tools, 20 and 60v. I won’t be doing much cutting anywhere but would like to be prepared.

Are you still happy with it now that you’ve had some time with it?

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
We do not wear steel toe boots in arboriculture, logs get loose and drop, and if that 100+lb log lands on that little piece of steel, you can kiss your toes goodbye. Composite reinforced toes but never steel.

Lastly, the right tool for the job......is NEVER a sawzall. They are dangerous and inefficient in arboriculture operations of any scale and should be left at home. Buy a chainsaw.
My thoughts as well on the steel toed boots.

I’m not a professional and I don’t play one on TV, but I find a sawzall very handy for roots and when ground contact is likely.

Reactions: Nickzero

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

My thoughts as well on the steel toed boots.

I’m not a professional and I don’t play one on TV, but I find a sawzall very handy for roots and when ground contact is likely.
I couldn't agree more. Very true statement.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Keep in mind those batteries are expensive and like all batteries have a short life compared to gas engines. Expect 3-5 years out of most batteries.
Yes, but when you already have the batteries for other tools, dewalt in my case, it doesn’t really matter. I get that a battery will never be a replacement for gas, but when you’re a city slicker with few trees it makes sense. The trails around me are so frequently traveled I doubt I’ll ever need a saw on the trail, but I’d still like to be prepared.

Reactions: Cort

PinnaclePete

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Maumelle, Arkansas
Member #

"Question: where # how do you usualy carry CS, and special rack mount? on front runner roof?
mine is a Echo 370, does the work pretty good, not to heavy, and easy to manipulate.
thx"

For hard mounts, we sell the Byte Tyke aluminum scabbards that can be mounted to boxes or vehicles in various configurations....otherwise, I just strap mine in the truck bed with bungees.
BT24.jpg ByteTyte2.jpg