Enthusiast III

Mobile Alabama
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Moran
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0ZDX
A friend of mine has the Echo battery powered thing and I have used it twice on the trail for firewood duty. I must say its convenient and quite but its not a chain saw.... although it is...

Paladin2020

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crawfordville, FL
First Name
David
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Army
a lot is involved in removing a tree from a trail or road, I've seen newbees fail to read a tree and then get pinched on their first cut and it would take a second saw to cut them out.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
I was given a 110 volt electric saw years ago and I feel in love with it for use around the house. Wanted a dedicated saw for trail clearing, if needed, so I purchased another for the Jeep with a power inverter. Ready to go when needed. No smell, no gas seepage it's great.

PinnaclePete

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Maumelle, Arkansas
Member #

I was given a 110 volt electric saw years ago and I feel in love with it for use around the house. Wanted a dedicated saw for trail clearing, if needed, so I purchased another for the Jeep with a power inverter. Ready to go when needed. No smell, no gas seepage it's great.
Be careful with electric or the newer battery chainsaws. Saw chaps will not stop the chain because of the torque.

Reactions: Paladin2020

Paladin2020

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crawfordville, FL
First Name
David
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Army
I use an electric one years ago and I don’t remember them having chain breaks.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Another option for trail clearing is a sawzall with a pruning blade. Of course you would need a inverter to run it as well. They are safer to run than a chain saw. Although they can not cut through as large a diameter of a branch.

DRLExpress

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Estacada OR
Member #

How about a review of that electric Stihl. Can you recharge in the truck.

Doug

PS Edit just realized you did not say if it was rechargeable or corded.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kent R

Tex68w

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Victoria, Texas
Member #

I plan to carry my 20" Stihl MS261 C-M in its case along with a small bottle of bar oil and a few small bottles of the Stihl Pre-Mix fuel when I am out exploring.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I don't think they need a break since there is no continuously running motor. It is ether on of off.
The chain brake is there as a safety when you experience kickback. It doesn’t matter if it’s electric or gas it’s still needed.

Reactions: Winterpeg

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Reactions: 000

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
I would bet they have those disclaimers for liability issues. You be the judge.
I will say that the electric battery saw used in the video has a much faster spin rate than the 110volt electric saw that I use.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I wish the guy would have taken the cover off the saw to show the fibers wrapped around the gear on that vid.

Side note, he’s wearing a Kask super plasma helmet which I think is the most comfortable arborist helmet out there.

PinnaclePete

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Maumelle, Arkansas
Member #

"Side note, he’s wearing a Kask super plasma helmet which I think is the most comfortable arborist helmet out there."

I sell alot of these and they are great helmets, but the padding and Styrofoam insert stinks (reeks) after a couple hot summer days. I prefer the Vertex Vent with web suspension, a lot cooler without the funk head.

PinnaclePete

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Maumelle, Arkansas
Member #

Couldn't pass it up for $ 160, new Echo 58V Litium-ion 16" chainsaw. Neighbors wife got it for him for Christmas ($ 350 on Amazon), he cut 4 limbs off his Bradford pear and decided he wasn't a chainsaw kinda guy...LOL His loss is my gain.

Kinda big (14lbs.) but is well balanced with the battery located to the rear. 1 hour to fully charge the battery, no gas stink, though it does require bar oil, uses standard 3/8 050 56DL chain, seems pretty strong (we'll see) but I love the quiet. This will be a great trail and camp saw.

Echo 58V.jpg

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
"Side note, he’s wearing a Kask super plasma helmet which I think is the most comfortable arborist helmet out there."

I sell alot of these and they are great helmets, but the padding and Styrofoam insert stinks (reeks) after a couple hot summer days. I prefer the Vertex Vent with web suspension, a lot cooler without the funk head.

Truth, fa breeze is my friend.

Reactions: PinnaclePete

Tex68w

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Victoria, Texas
Member #

Couldn't pass it up for $ 160, new Echo 58V Litium-ion 16" chainsaw. Neighbors wife got it for him for Christmas ($ 350 on Amazon), he cut 4 limbs off his Bradford pear and decided he wasn't a chainsaw kinda guy...LOL His loss is my gain.

Kinda big (14lbs.) but is well balanced with the battery located to the rear. 1 hour to fully charge the battery, no gas stink, though it does require bar oil, uses standard 3/8 050 56DL chain, seems pretty strong (we'll see) but I love the quiet. This will be a great trail and camp saw.

View attachment 44068

I like it but that weight is ridiculous, I imagine the battery is the bulk of it. Good buy none the less.

Reactions: PinnaclePete