Central/Northern California Trip Ideas - Winter

• HTML tutorial

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

I'd been planning an overnight trip to this exact area for a couple weeks then thought to look on this forum to see if there was any trip reports and found this thread. The plan was to go tomorrow, 3/17, but with all this rain I wonder if it's not going to work.

Does anyone know how bad these roads get in the rain? I've been up here a few times but it's always been dry.

If I end up going I'll be sure to give you all some updates.
I'm going there next Fri, as are a couple others here. I think snow is more likely than rain. There was snow on the ground already, which we thought would melt by now. However, with this recent storm pattern I think more snow fell again. Hopefully it will stop raining by next Fri we enjoy clear skies with some minimal snow on the ground. The forest roads get bad when muddy, so have a 4WD or capable AWD vehicle. Ome recovery gear and another vehicle with you would be a safer bet.

Reactions: RAWags

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

Wife and I are looking for a trip next weekend. If this is still on, have room for one more?
Hell yes brother! Come on out. Fri night through Sun noon camp trip. Prepare for some light snow. Dress accordingly. Bring water, food, alcohol (if so inclined), and whatever else you need. I bring a lot, so I can cover some needs but not all. I'm leaving for the site Fri late morning before noon from Sunnyvale. As we get closer to Fri, I'll start a private conversation here to get namesand cell numbers.

NorCalZR2

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA
First Name
J
Last Name
P
Great. We have gear, but I am still setting up the truck...so no winch yet...it's still on my jeep. However, I will have recovery straps, tools, etc.

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

I'll be hanging a few chem lights on trees so those arriving after dark know where to turn off from the main road.

I expect snow on the ground, but with all the rain it could get muddy/slushy. Unfortunately, it's going to rain on us Fri/Sat. At night, it might get cold enough to lightly snow. We'll see. We'll need a big fire regardless.

So, bring some firewood folks and a tarp with cordage. I have rope and cordage to establish a ridgeline to tie off of. I have a tarp too. We'll have to rig up some tarp shelters to stay dry or popup tents if you have them. I'm bringing an axe, handsaw, and a chainsaw to process whatever deadfall wood I can scrounge up around the site. Hopefully the larger stuff is dry.

Reactions: RedBeard

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

Great. We have gear, but I am still setting up the truck...so no winch yet...it's still on my jeep. However, I will have recovery straps, tools, etc.
ZR2 has a front locker, so you're good. I have a winch and recovery tools. Shouldn't need it though.

RAWags

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Ripon, CA
First Name
Robbie
Last Name
Wagner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSK
I made it out on Saturday to check this out. A fair amount of snow on the ground that last mile or so before Pinnacle Rock. I made it within a 1/4 mile and decided to turn around since I was by myself. Roads are in grood shape though. If you don't mind camping in the snow you should be fine. Have a great trip. It's a beautiful area.

I went up Walker Ridge Road and drove partially around Indian Springs Reservoir before going back and taking 220 (High Valley Road) over to Bartlet Springs Road. Great time exploring an area I've not been to.

20180317_185010.jpg
Bartlett Springs Rd just past Precious Forrest

20180317_185650.dng.jpg
Junction to Pinnacle Rock on Deer Valley Rd

Screenshot_20180317-185720.png
Where I turned around.

20180317_185806.jpg

20180317_183930.jpg

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

@RAWags thanks for the recon run! Great intel right there. The conditions look to be what I expected. 4H in my Jeep should get it done withought issue. Looks like my shovel will get a workout to clear away some snow at the site.

RedBeard

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Vallejo, CA, USA
Member #

@RAWags thanks for the recon run! Great intel right there. The conditions look to be what I expected. 4H in my Jeep should get it done withought issue. Looks like my shovel will get a workout to clear away some snow at the site.
I took another trip up this weekend and poked around north of Hough Springs. Found some interesting obstacles (river crossings, hill climbs, etc.) and trails if anyone wants to check them out on Saturday. I ended up turning back once I hit the snow line, something about being solo and the idea of slipping off the trail keeps turning me around, but with a group, I don't think we'll have any issues.

RAWags

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Ripon, CA
First Name
Robbie
Last Name
Wagner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSK
I took another trip up this weekend and poked around north of Hough Springs. Found some interesting obstacles (river crossings, hill climbs, etc.) and trails if anyone wants to check them out on Saturday. I ended up turning back once I hit the snow line, something about being solo and the idea of slipping off the trail keeps turning me around, but with a group, I don't think we'll have any issues.
I wonder if we passed each other at one point? I was all through there as well. My truck was fine in the snow but I wasn't willing to push it by myself either. Too bad we didn't connect.

RedBeard

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Vallejo, CA, USA
Member #

I wonder if we passed each other at one point? I was all through there as well. My truck was fine in the snow but I wasn't willing to push it by myself either. Too bad we didn't connect.
It's possible, I did run into a couple of solo explorers and a group or two. Did you happen to hoof it in the snow for a bit? I saw someone with a similar vehicle to yours who was on foot once he hit the snow line.

I've been heading up there pretty much every weekend this past month doing recon, I don't plan to stop once the weather starts getting nice again. Feel free to DM me if you are planning a quick trip, more than likely I can find the time.

RAWags

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Ripon, CA
First Name
Robbie
Last Name
Wagner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSK
It's possible, I did run into a couple of solo explorers and a group or two. Did you happen to hoof it in the snow for a bit? I saw someone with a similar vehicle to yours who was on foot once he hit the snow line.

I've been heading up there pretty much every weekend this past month doing recon, I don't plan to stop once the weather starts getting nice again. Feel free to DM me if you are planning a quick trip, more than likely I can find the time.
No, I didn't do much hiking in the snow. I only had a pair of sneakers on! That area is so amazing. I just saw some guys from Overland Bound West were out exploring the Knoxville Devilhead Rd area this past weekend too. Their pictures looked amazing.

I will be sure to DM you next time I head up.

Safe travels

Reactions: MBroenkow

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

Roll call, who's going and on what day/time? I'm heading up Fri morning from the south bay.

Once I get a roll call, we can start a private convo to exchange names and cell phones.

RedBeard

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Vallejo, CA, USA
Member #

Roll call, who's going and on what day/time? I'm heading up Fri morning from the south bay.

Once I get a roll call, we can start a private convo to exchange names and cell phones.
I'm planning to head out early Friday afternoon from Fairfield, around 1ish. I did plan on going up to Stonyford and then working my way into the forest and to the site. I did the trip last weekend and logged close to 100 miles off-road (back and forth). If anyone else is interested in the same track, let me know and we can figure out a meeting point. The trail I'm thinking about taking will require a high clearance vehicle as there is a water crossing.

Reactions: Crispy and Sgt12XU

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

Not going to pull punches folks, the weather will suck. Off and on rain, followed by rain/snow/cold. I'm still going, but I understand if others bail out. I could use company of course, but if it's a solo trip...so be it.

If you do go, bring wet weather gear and appropriate shoes that can handle snow/slush. Make sure your sleeping setup is going to work in the rain/snow.

MBroenkow

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sonoma County, CA
Member #

Its going to wet and cold for sure, but I have a hard time saying any weather in the woods "sucks". You just need to be aware and prepared for the conditions. I actually prefer MNF in the winter. I love the rain, slushy mud and snow- and there's also a lot fewer people.

(it can be a real challenge to get a good camp fire going in the rain though)

Reactions: RedBeard and Crispy