Central/Northern California Trip Ideas - Winter

• HTML tutorial

RedBeard

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Vallejo, CA, USA
Member #

I'm looking for some suggestions for a 2-3 day winter trip in Central/Northern California (I'm willing to go up to Southern Oregon as well). I'd like to get in some fishing.

Things I'd like to avoid:
-Freezing temps - I don't mind the cold, but I don't have extreme cold weather gear
-Difficult trails - I'll be solo unless I can muster up an OB member or two for an impromptu trip, also I'm lacking in the winch and maxtrax departments
-Heavily trafficked campgrounds - the more remote the better

Thanks guys.

Reactions: MrMcCroder

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
Mendocino NF is pretty solid in the winter. Especially with the lack of rain recently. Peaks about 6000 feet but lots of trails below that. Depending on when you go I might be able to join you. I’ve got recovery gear.

Reactions: MBroenkow

RedBeard

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Vallejo, CA, USA
Member #

I poked around up there last weekend, drove the M6 (I think) to Lake Pillsberry trying to scope out some spots. I'm thinking about going this weekend, I've got Monday off for Presidents Day.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

@RedBeard it's sort of a pain to get to good remote mountain spots right now, due to most being completely closed off for the winter season. Choices are limited right now. I've driven down to a dispersed campsite called Alder Creek a couple times recently. Had a blast there. 40 min NW of Lake Isabella.

I think my next trip will be late March. Possibly in the Mendocino NF. Everything is open there. All my cool spots are closed or buried in snow right now. I limit weekend trips to about a five hour radius from the south bay.

If you want to go in late March, I'm in. I have spare cold weather gear for you and can winch us out if needed. Shouldn't come to that though.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I'm looking for some suggestions for a 2-3 day winter trip in Central/Northern California (I'm willing to go up to Southern Oregon as well). I'd like to get in some fishing.

Things I'd like to avoid:
-Freezing temps - I don't mind the cold, but I don't have extreme cold weather gear
-Difficult trails - I'll be solo unless I can muster up an OB member or two for an impromptu trip, also I'm lacking in the winch and maxtrax departments
-Heavily trafficked campgrounds - the more remote the better

Thanks guys.
PM SLO Rob for Central CA places he knows the coast and the temps are nice now

RedBeard

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Vallejo, CA, USA
Member #

@RedBeard it's sort of a pain to get to good remote mountain spots right now, due to most being completely closed off for the winter season. Choices are limited right now. I've driven down to a dispersed campsite called Alder Creek a couple times recently. Had a blast there. 40 min NW of Lake Isabella.

I think my next trip will be late March. Possibly in the Mendocino NF. Everything is open there. All my cool spots are closed or buried in snow right now. I limit weekend trips to about a five hour radius from the south bay.

If you want to go in late March, I'm in. I have spare cold weather gear for you and can winch us out if needed. Shouldn't come to that though.
I checked out the Alabama Hills/Whitney Portal area with my brother over President's Day weekend. Ended up at Olancha Pass, had to load up on cold weather gear, so I'm set there.

Let me know when you are thinking and I will see about freeing up my weekend. The sooner the better so we can let other people have a chance to join us.

RedBeard

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Vallejo, CA, USA
Member #

Not sure how far south you consider to be Central CA, but Big Sur on the coast has a few nice fire road camping options, some with incredible views:

Also Carrizo Plain is beautiful and pretty off-the-radar, March is when the wildflowers begin to show up:

Those are some great pictures. I hadn't thought about Big Sur, I was under the impression that there were still road closures along the 1 & 101 (Not really relevant to Central CA, but the HW south of Stinson Beach is still closed). I'll have to scope it out.

CalTexMex

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fremont, Ca
Member #

Mendo trip in March would be nice and I might be able to roll out. I’m fully built with a winch and recovery gear. Smart driving will keep this stuff put. Just make sure you have a rated sleeping bag and your good. I sleep in a 3 season tent year round(guess what season its not rated for) even if it’s in the 30’s-40’s.

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

So, I would like to ink the weekend of March 23rd. That gives people a month to plan. Maybe a 2-3 day adventure. I'd like to keep it within a 300 mile or less drive from the south bay area. I prefer remote camp sites free of other regular people (dispersed sites, fire road off shoots, etc.). My rig can go anywhere and weather doesn't concern me much.

So let's start choosing a spot or spots (if we overland it). I like some of the suggestions thus far.

RedBeard

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Vallejo, CA, USA
Member #

So, I would like to ink the weekend of March 23rd. That gives people a month to plan. Maybe a 2-3 day adventure. I'd like to keep it within a 300 mile or less drive from the south bay area. I prefer remote camp sites free of other regular people (dispersed sites, fire road off shoots, etc.). My rig can go anywhere and weather doesn't concern me much.

So let's start choosing a spot or spots (if we overland it). I like some of the suggestions thus far.
Count me in. I'll start scoping out areas.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

I found this vid of Pinnacle Rock. Looks like a decent spot to fit a few rigs in a circle the wagons formation. Not my vid.

CalTexMex

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fremont, Ca
Member #

I have family flying in from Texas on March 26. Might be a little tight with weekend prep, but I’m gonna grease the wheels of charity with the Mrs so we can try to make it.

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

I have family flying in from Texas on March 26. Might be a little tight with weekend prep, but I’m gonna grease the wheels of charity with the Mrs so we can try to make it.
Good to hear. Even if you're only staying a night or two, that beats a night at home on the couch. Hopefully you can go.