Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

@SSG Becker Drax is on the money, visit the comm section and take a look at GMRS and ham radio.
Most off road enthusiasts that use CB have a very compromised system. Most are only worried about trail comms not getting help comms so they typically only get out a mile or two....if that. Even if you had a system that could reach out, not as likely that anyone could respond.

In addition to GMRS and ham radio a satellite device may also be something to look at.
If you still have questions post them up in the comm section and you will get good and typically numerous responses.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Thank you, I'll redirect my question there. I do have a Midland GMRS saved on ebay that I like so that seems to be a step in the right direction
Just make sure you acquire a GMRS license. $70 bucks for 10 years and you're entire immediate family is set. No test either. I'm about to test for HAM myself but I've got a GMRS license as well.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

@SSG Becker while GMRS is the up and coming replacement for CB it may not be widely used in your area. I still consider GMRS to be a convoy comm that allows more distance. For reaching out ham radio is really going to be a better option with a satellite device (such as an inreach) being best.
While GMRS has repeaters there are more ham radio repeaters and they are often monitored, even if you don't hear anyone talking there are likely hams listening.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Last week while on a tour of the Carolinas I got to test my newly installed, vintage Cobra 25, that has been peaked & tuned. I began a conversation with a deck hand in the Moorehead City boatyards. We were headed east at the speed limit. We talked for over 10minutes and I was easily 8 miles away according to him as I gave him 10/20s along the way. It’s sad that such a reliable communications device has garnered a bad reputation with the advent of GMRS. I’ll keep using my CB, and keep scannig channel 16 when out & about as I think it will eventually come back full circle. I know that it cannot compare to HAM, which is a whole new hobby, and I cannot justify the cost of GMRS, and only getting out with line of sight. Good luck,

SSG Becker

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Citrus County, Florida, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Becker
Member #

Thank you, I'll redirect my question there. I do have a Midland GMRS saved on ebay that I like so that seems to be a step in the right direction
Just make sure you acquire a GMRS license. $70 bucks for 10 years and you're entire immediate family is set. No test either. I'm about to test for HAM myself but I've got a GMRS license as well.

SSG Becker

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Citrus County, Florida, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Becker
Member #

Thank you for that info. I know there was a Ham license but not one for the GMRS

Reactions: Prerunner1982

5280Ranger

Rank V

Traveler III

Colorado
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Brandon
Member #

Everyone has covered it pretty well, I will just drop this little nugget... If you use INSTAGRAM15 as a discount code on Midland, you'll save 15%. I have the MXT275 and I love it. We had great reception on our run yesterday. I would stray away from handhelds. The 2 guys yesterday were quiet and hard to hear on occasion.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I run a cb in my Jeep because most groups I have run with in the past all ran CB. However in the last few years there has been a shift to GMRS and I recently ordered myself some new radios. I will leave the CB in for the times I run with the old crowd lol, but I will have the GMRS for most other runs. I also got headsets to talk to my copilot in the Jeep while running down the highway because it gets very loud, which isn't an option for a CB.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
If you compare the various radio applications, they all have advantages and disadvantages, of course, as well as different barriers to entry. However, one important point in my opinion is that I would always choose the radio application that is most used in my region, by the people I am traveling with or with whom I want to communicate.

For example, I still have CB in my rig, as many people I know also still use CB. Because if no one else in the group has HAM radio on board, my 2m/ 70cm dual band radio is of little use to me to communicate in the group. For CB I simply use an older Alan Midland 121 permanent mounted- old but perfectly adequate for communication in the convoy.

Reactions: Desert Runner

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Everyone has covered it pretty well, I will just drop this little nugget... If you use INSTAGRAM15 as a discount code on Midland, you'll save 15%. I have the MXT275 and I love it. We had great reception on our run yesterday. I would stray away from handhelds. The 2 guys yesterday were quiet and hard to hear on occasion.
The guys using handhelds (GMRS?) wonder if they were using the Narrow band setting instead of wide band.

5280Ranger

Rank V

Traveler III

Colorado
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Brandon
Member #

The guys using handhelds (GMRS?) wonder if they were using the Narrow band setting instead of wide band.

I have no idea, but it wasn’t great.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Handheld + inside vehicle (faraday cage) = poor signal propagation. Handhelds aren't meant for use inside vehicles, if you have a handheld (and only a handheld) then I would toss up a mag mount antenna outside the vehicle and connect it to the handheld, otherwise you're lucky to get your signal out more than 1/4 mile or so and even then it's not going to sound great.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Nothing wrong with a CB but if you are in an area with no cell service you might be in an area with no one to hear your CB either since range is often less than 10 miles. If you are broke down or stuck 20 miles from civilization an InReach is your best option.

A better plan might be to file a plan with a trusted freind so once immobile they will know where to find you before you starve to death. An e'bike might be a good option too.

Reactions: Road

Willys Yella Jeep

Rank V

Builder I

Castle Rock, Colorado, United States
First Name
Willy
Last Name
Sommer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CEO
Service Branch
Army
Ever heard of PACE? Getting out and away from the uncivilized civilization means creating redundancy. Whether, food, water, shelter, transportation, or communications, you need a plan. Primary, Alternate, Contingency, and Emergency everything. Never rely on just one item because it will fail.

Imagine if you leave behind your spare tire and rotopax because there is "no chance" anything will happen.

Willy

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Nothing wrong with a CB but if you are in an area with no cell service you might be in an area with no one to hear your CB either since range is often less than 10 miles. If you are broke down or stuck 20 miles from civilization an InReach is your best option.

A better plan might be to file a plan with a trusted freind so once immobile they will know where to find you before you starve to death. An e'bike might be a good option too.
Ever heard of PACE? Getting out and away from the uncivilized civilization means creating redundancy. Whether, food, water, shelter, transportation, or communications, you need a plan. Primary, Alternate, Contingency, and Emergency everything. Never rely on just one item because it will fail.

Imagine if you leave behind your spare tire and rotopax because there is "no chance" anything will happen.

Willy
Amen to both of these.

I always travel solo and usually way the hell off-grid, so don't need comms to talk to those in front or behind me, and depend on my bike far more than the radios I've had and still have if my vehicle breaks down.

sondors_bigbend-0831.jpg

I know it's not a popular opinion and likely to draw flak, though in my experience over the years, a great deal of the radios and gadgets added to vehicles aren't actually used as much as they could be, often aren't even understood as far as correct operations or licensing, and are added more for the cockpit effect. Because it looks cool and everyone else is doing it so we think we need to, too.

I'm back down to my CB (for highway reroutes and the NOAA channels) and Inreach. And my eBike.