Canada to Argentina...what vehicle?

• HTML tutorial

CGLahey

Rank 0

Traveler I

Canada
Esteemed overlanders,

I am planning an overland trip from Canada to South America. It will be my wife, 5 year old daughter and I and about 4-6 months.

I have been researching a lot about vehicles and people do that trip in all sorts. My question is, what vehicle would people recommend? It will probably be mostly road driving, and we want something comfortable enough. Not sure about whether we will sleep in, or on or just tent.

Thoughts?

trailhunter

Rank III

Traveler I

US
Esteemed overlanders,

I am planning an overland trip from Canada to South America. It will be my wife, 5 year old daughter and I and about 4-6 months.

I have been researching a lot about vehicles and people do that trip in all sorts. My question is, what vehicle would people recommend? It will probably be mostly road driving, and we want something comfortable enough. Not sure about whether we will sleep in, or on or just tent.

Thoughts?
Guns... lots of guns, you'll need them as you cross cartel borders.

I personally wouldn't risk it with a youngin.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Beware... I would do your research, country by country. Some of them between the US and Argentine, prohibit "Visitors" with firearms in there vehicle... You don't want to be thrown in jail, in a country the hates Canada & the US. As too vehicle... A Large, well gear'd Mercedes, International or FUSO frame. Very Large bull-bar, with winch. Diesel, as opposed to petrol. A MUST is the ability to filter water! You could go lite-weight with a Chevy or Dodge Dually... But, that is steal-able... to haul drugs to the border. Your # 1 issue, is personal security, period. I would encourage you to also re-post this on the Expedition Portal. Lots more Central & South America experienced drivers, guides, etc...

Reactions: Road

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Things to consider with your route is the availability of shops to be able to service the rig assuming you have any troubles, availability of parts, as well as the aftermarket support to kit it out the way you want.

A van would be ideal. Whether it's a Vanagon, Sprinter, or Sportmobile, you'd be able to carry plenty of gear with 3 total passengers. You'd be comfortable and have the option to basically drive an off-road capable RV. If you plan on using this rig for other trips as well and are set on something different, you can't go wrong with a Tacoma, Land Cruiser, or 4Runner. I'd say Jeep, but again, you'd have some work cut out for you unless you went with a JKU/JLU, and even then I think you'd be better off with a Toyota. Definitely look at Expedition Portal as mentioned above. They seem to do a lot of international travel and more specifically in that area.

Reactions: Arailt

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Expedition Overland did the Pan-American highway (northern tip of Alaska to southern tip of South America). Might be a good series to watch to know what to expect at border crossings.

https://www.xoverland.com/

I would NOT bring firearms unless want to spend quality time with your family in a Mexican or Central/South American jail.

Reactions: cruiseroutfit

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Expedition Overland did the Pan-American highway (northern tip of Alaska to southern tip of South America). Might be a good series to watch to know what to expect at border crossings.

https://www.xoverland.com/

I would NOT bring firearms unless want to spend quality time with your family in a Mexican or Central/South American jail.
Agreed, as I stated - above. Ignorance of the law, is NOT an excuse!

Reactions: Arailt

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I sat in on a Travel Mexico panel at the last Overland Expo where six people, who had all traveled extensively in Mexico, unanimously said yeah, no guns, take no weapons like that into Mexico. I'm exploring options for driving alone way down into Mexico, though will probably start with the length of Baja peninsula.

CGLahey

Rank 0

Traveler I

Canada
Thanks everyone!

The gun comment sure did get everyone side tracked! Definitely wasn't planning on bringing guns. And as I'm a Canadian... we don't really have them kicking around as much as y'all.

As for safety, I have done lots of reading and have deemed it safe. (That's why I asked about a vehicle!)

I'm leaning towards a van but not sure how much we will sleep in it because there aren't camp site and wild camping is discouraged (unsafe.)

Thanks again!

Reactions: Arailt and Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Thanks everyone!

The gun comment sure did get everyone side tracked! Definitely wasn't planning on bringing guns. And as I'm a Canadian... we don't really have them kicking around as much as y'all.

As for safety, I have done lots of reading and have deemed it safe. (That's why I asked about a vehicle!)

I'm leaning towards a van but not sure how much we will sleep in it because there aren't camp site and wild camping is discouraged (unsafe.)

Thanks again!
Don't know about Central and South America, but the more and more people I talk to about their recent travels in Mexico--and not just Baja peninsula--is that camping wasn't a problem, that you can pretty much camp anywhere, and just to get back off the road before dark.

To a person, they've all said that if you're camping on someone's property and someone comes by, just explain you're traveling a long way and would appreciate being able to stay there for the night. No one was turned away, but were actually welcomed. They also said, on the panel at Overland Expo East, that if you're traveling with a kid you're golden, as the people in Mexico are super family oriented and adore people involving their kids in daily life. If you have a dog, even more golden.

Having a van for this sort of trip makes a lot of situations far easier for comfort, cleaning, cooking, amount of gear you can comfortably take, personal space, overnight stays, etc. Especially with a 5yo. I can't imagine, after traveling long trips in vans for so long, doing a multi-month trip in a 2 or 4 door vehicle. Just being able to move from the front seats to the back without going outside or climbing over things is huge.

You'll find that with having a van, you'll be able to rest a lot more places than you might think, otherwise. Sort of stealth camping. I've called my vans SUVs for a long time; Stealthy Urban Vehicles. Being able to catch a nap or longer snooze, or being able to let your child nap, or even sleep overnight when in urban environments, will be huge.

You'll also find in most vans, even just rear wheel drive, the ability to do a wider variety of roads and trails than you will in a rear wheel drive car. Higher clearance to start with, even without 4 wheel drive or any kind of lift, makes that possible. Getting an AWD drive is better. If you find a well-maintained 4x4 van with easily replaceable parts, even better still.

VAN LIVING, the Long Version :fearscream::

Because you're seriously considering a van, I'm going to be bold and make some vanlife suggestions that I hope will help make a decision, based on decades of being a vancamping guy around the continent.

My personal preference when setting up a van for long road trips has evolved to making it flexible and versatile in arrangement and not have a permanent platform across the back like so many do nowadays.

Being able to quickly and easily fold a panel up and out of the way, or remove it, to allow full pass through from the rear doors is really handy. Or just keep it an open pass through like the image below. This becomes more important the more people you have. When living out of a van and everything flows more easily because you're not all trying to get in and out the same side door, life for all of you is better. Easy life, happy people.

Barn doors on the side are better than a sliding door, in my experience. When traveling and camping, I often only use the forward side door, and let the inside of the other door stay closed most of the time. With family, that may be different.

For third seating for your 5yo, I'd just keep one rear seat behind the driver and remove any other bench seats or other single seats. That way the front passenger can more easily tend to your child while in motion, the side doors will have greater access to everything when stopped, and access to the rear from the front will be much easier without going outside. Having a more open central part of the van will be a blessing.

First image below is from six years ago traveling with my adult child. My van looks a lot different inside now, but for this trip to the borderlands it was arranged like the image below.

Full length sleeping areas on each side with a full-length pass through all the way to the front seats. It's an extended body van, so about ten feet of space inside to the front seats. If needed, I can haul twelve foot lengths of lumber or pipe or whatever and still close the doors. I can put two bikes down the middle and still close the doors. Not having stuff hanging off the van outside all the time makes it less of a target and less to worry about if away from the van for awhile.

The bed on the right is in front of the white cabinet and stretches forward to the side doors. The cabinet has sliding basket drawers for a number of things like clothes, kitchen stuff, and towels, etc. On the left side is a bit of open storage, then a full length but narrow bed, then the white bulkhead. On the other side of the bulkhead is a closet from floor to ceiling, and in front of that is storage behind the driver's seat.

I've found leaving it set up like this worked well for vancamping in a variety of situations. We didn't do any rough off-roading, though we did do a bunch of dirt roads and didn't really need to tie or strap anything down. Stuff slid around a bit on rougher portions, but not dangerously. Items were more secured for higher speed travel.

vancamping-Chisos_1359-900.jpg

Below is pretty much how I use the same van now. Even more flexible than above. The half bulkhead on the left is movable. Not like every day movable, though it can be positioned anywhere along the length of the left side to accommodate different layouts depending on whether I am using the van as transport when building something, or vancamping, or need the entire space to make money hauling cargo.

The bed going sideways where the pillow is, is a lightweight folding plywood platform. It can be very easily and quickly stowed away, cushions and all, just the other side of the left bulkhead. When having another person along for a trip, I bring along a second folding bed platform and two more upholstered mattress quality cushions and set the beds up along each side as above.

Each end of the bed platform when sideways rests on the side cabinets and needs only one container under the middle to sufficiently support it for sitting and sleeping.

In that arrangement, it can be easily and quickly slid anywhere along the entire length of the van. Very handy when I want more 'living space' on the other side of the bed accessible from the side doors. The bed can also go sideways just the other side of the bulkhead, which places it directly behind the seats, allowing for a full eight feet of open cargo space to the rear doors. That's pretty handy too, sometimes.

When arranging the bed platform(s) lengthwise along either side, the outside edge of the bed platform rests on the side cabinet and three containers support the inboard edge.

The side cabinets are built at the same height as the containers (simple cheap but strong plastic containers from Target that I made birch ply tops for) and provides for a wide variety of layouts and versatility in function.

The side cabinets have easily removed tops (no hinges, or lids to have to hold open) and hold a huge amount of gear, tools, vehicle fluids, etc and help keep the center of gravity low. They are full width at the rear door opening and funnel down to 51" parallel as they go forward. That way anything bulky or being loaded on a pallet self-centers and can be strapped down to the e-track (bottom pic).

For my next long trip cross-country I'll be switching it up again; changing the left side cabinet to better accommodate a pullout for the fridge with storage above and a new Nature's Head commode right behind that with a pull curtain for privacy. Bench/bed space ahead of that. Right side will stay pretty much as is and can accomodate my eBike.

I'll also add molle panels and grips on the rear doors and side walls to better attach and store a variety of lighter weight things like clothes and more often accessed items like shovels and axes when on the trail.

roaddude_van-interior-9810.jpg

The foundation of it all makes for an easily modifiable, very versatile vehicle in which to haul stuff, travel in, live out of, etc.

Savana-empty_600x450.jpg

All this to say that vans can make your trip SO much more enjoyable, and that getting a van you can inexpensively modify to your tastes will greatly enhance how easy it can make life. Getting a van that is already rigged out with plush seats and cloth interiors is inviting unhappiness when going on a long multi-purpose trip cross-continent.

If there is anything I can do as far as sources for parts, ideas, brainstorming, links to other van setups, etc as you get a van together, let me know.

Happy to help make your trip a more pleasurable one if I can.

Dry roads and open skies. . .

Road

Last edited:

CGLahey

Rank 0

Traveler I

Canada
Don't know about Central and South America, but the more and more people I talk to about their recent travels in Mexico--and not just Baja peninsula--is that camping wasn't a problem, that you can pretty much camp anywhere, and just to get back off the road before dark.

To a person, they've all said that if you're camping on someone's property and someone comes by, just explain you're traveling a long way and would appreciate being able to stay there for the night. No one was turned away, but were actually welcomed. They also said, on the panel at Overland Expo East, that if you're traveling with a kid you're golden, as the people in Mexico are super family oriented and adore people involving their kids in daily life. If you have a dog, even more golden.

Having a van for this sort of trip makes a lot of situations far easier for comfort, cleaning, cooking, amount of gear you can comfortably take, personal space, overnight stays, etc. Especially with a 5yo. I can't imagine, after traveling long trips in vans for so long, doing a multi-month trip in a 2 or 4 door vehicle. Just being able to move from the front seats to the back without going outside or climbing over things is huge.

You'll find that with having a van, you'll be able to rest a lot more places than you might think, otherwise. Sort of stealth camping. I've called my vans SUVs for a long time; Stealthy Urban Vehicles. Being able to catch a nap or longer snooze, or being able to let your child nap, or even sleep overnight when in urban environments, will be huge.

You'll also find in most vans, even just rear wheel drive, the ability to do a wider variety of roads and trails than you will in a rear wheel drive car. Higher clearance to start with, even without 4 wheel drive or any kind of lift, makes that possible. Getting an AWD drive is better. If you find a well-maintained 4x4 van with easily replaceable parts, even better still.

VAN LIVING, the Long Version :fearscream::

Because you're seriously considering a van, I'm going to be bold and make some vanlife suggestions that I hope will help make a decision, based on decades of being a vancamping guy around the continent.

My personal preference when setting up a van for long road trips has evolved to making it flexible and versatile in arrangement and not have a permanent platform across the back like so many do nowadays.

Being able to quickly and easily fold a panel up and out of the way, or remove it, to allow full pass through from the rear doors is really handy. Or just keep it an open pass through like the image below. This becomes more important the more people you have. When living out of a van flows more easily and you're not all three trying to get in and out the same side door, life is better. Easy life, happy people. Barn doors on the side are better than a sliding door, in my experience.

For third seating for your 5yo, I'd just keep one rear seat behind the driver and remove any other bench seats or other single seats. That way the front passenger can more easily tend to your child while in motion, the side doors will have greater access to everything when stopped, and access to the rear from the front will be much easier without going outside. Having a more open central part of the van will be a blessing.

First image below is from six years ago traveling with my adult child. My van looks a lot different inside now, but for this trip to the borderlands it was arranged like the image below.

Full length sleeping areas on each side with a full-length pass through all the way to the front seats. It's an extended body van, so about ten feet of space inside to the front seats. If needed, I can haul twelve foot lengths of lumber or pipe or whatever and still close the doors. I can put two bikes down the middle and still close the doors. Not having stuff hanging off the van outside all the time makes it less of a target and less to worry about if away from the van for awhile.

The bed on the right is in front of the white cabinet and stretches forward to the side doors. The cabinet has sliding basket drawers for a number of things like clothes, kitchen stuff, and towels, etc. On the left side is a bit of open storage, then a full length but narrow bed, then the white bulkhead. On the other side of the bulkhead is a closet from floor to ceiling, and in front of that is storage behind the driver's seat.

I've found leaving it set up like this worked well for vancamping in a variety of situations. We didn't do any rough off-roading, though we did do a bunch of dirt roads and didn't really need to tie or strap anything down. Stuff slid around a bit on rougher portions, but not dangerously. Items were more secured for higher speed travel.

View attachment 51008

Below is pretty much how I use the same van now. Even more flexible than above. The half bulkhead on the left is movable. Not like every day movable, though it can be positioned anywhere along the length of the left side to accommodate different layouts depending on whether I am using the van as transport when building something, or vancamping, or need the entire space to make money hauling cargo.

The bed going sideways where the pillow is, is a lightweight folding plywood platform. It can be very easily and quickly stowed away, cushions and all, just the other side of the left bulkhead. When having another person along for a trip, I bring along a second folding bed platform and two more upholstered mattress quality cushions and set the beds up along each side as above.

Each end of the bed platform when sideways rests on the side cabinets and needs only one container under the middle to sufficiently support it for sitting and sleeping.

In that arrangement, it can be easily and quickly slid anywhere along the entire length of the van. Very handy when I want more 'living space' on the other side of the bed accessible from the side doors. The bed can also go sideways just the other side of the bulkhead, which places it directly behind the seats, allowing for a full eight feet of open cargo space to the rear doors. That's pretty handy too, sometimes.

When arranging the bed platform(s) lengthwise along either side, the outside edge of the bed platform rests on the side cabinet and three containers support the inboard edge.

The side cabinets are built at the same height as the containers (simple cheap but strong plastic containers from Target that I made birch ply tops for) and provides for a wide variety of layouts and versatility in function.

The side cabinets have easily removed tops (no hinges, or lids to have to hold open) and hold a huge amount of gear, tools, vehicle fluids, etc and help keep the center of gravity low. They are full width at the rear door opening and funnel down to 51" parallel as they go forward. That way anything bulky or being loaded on a pallet self-centers and can be strapped down to the e-track (bottom pic).

For my next long trip cross-country I'll be switching it up again; changing the left side cabinet to better accommodate a pullout for the fridge with storage above and a new Nature's Head commode right behind that with a pull curtain for privacy. Bench/bed space ahead of that. Right side will stay pretty much as is and can accomodate my eBike.

I'll also add molle panels and grips on the rear doors and side walls to better attach and store a variety of lighter weight things like clothes and more often accessed items like shovels and axes when on the trail.

View attachment 51009

The foundation of it all makes for an easily modifiable, very versatile vehicle in which to haul stuff, travel in, live out of, etc.

View attachment 51013

All this to say that vans can make your trip SO much more enjoyable, and that getting a van you can inexpensively modify to your tastes will greatly enhance how easy it can make life. Getting a van that is already rigged out with plush seats and cloth interiors is inviting unhappiness when going on a long multi-purpose trip cross-continent.

If there is anything I can do as far as sources for parts, ideas, brainstorming, links to other van setups, etc as you get a van together, let me know.

Happy to help make your trip a more pleasurable one if I can.

Dry roads and open skies. . .

Road

BOOM!

This is exactly what I was hoping for! Some useful advice about a vehicle!

Thanks very much for the lengthy post and thank you for all the advice.

It looks like you started with a pretty big cargo van... What was it? How is mileage on the old girl?

I'm also wondering if there are any modern minivans that could do the job. (I love the Hiaces here in Thailand and the VW Transporters in Europe but we don't really have anything like that in North America.)

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Thanks - I appreciate your thanks!

This is a 2008 GMC Savana 3/4 ton van with a 6.6 Duramax diesel engine. Extended body on a long wheelbase (155"), which only GMC/Chevy offered then, while others offered extended bodies on the same wheelbase as their shorter-bodied vans. That creates a tail wagging the dog effect on other vans when going around corners or trying to back up, and a much shallower departure angle if off-road, that makes it more difficult to navigate rough terrain without hitting the back end coming out of a steep situation.

Newer vans from Ford, Dodge, and Mercedes/Freightliner have higher tops and different body lengths and wheelbase lengths, like the Transit, Sprinter, and whatever it is Dodge is offering now (which actually has the straightest sides and most interior space).

My mileage on the Savana, because she's a diesel, is rather phenomenal when compared to other typical overlanding vehicles, or even most other vehicles in general.

This is my 2nd GM/Chevy diesel van and they have both been the same. This one slightly better, actually, because of improved electronics under the hood. Starts far easier in cold weather and allows far greater latitude in glow plug probs. Even though I have been in extreme winter climates like Maine and around the north side of the St Lawrence Seaway in winter, I have never had to plug in the block heater. Has ALWAYS started in the six years I've owned it, as long as the batteries are well maintained (it has two cranking batteries).

It's a heavy vehicle, but wicked strong and durable.

Mileage: Even with the weight and heavier frame, etc, I regularly get 18-21 mpg on trips, depending on terrain and headwinds, etc. Towing my one ton XV-2 trailer (gross trailer weight of 3275 lbs) , I regularly get from 14-17 mpg. That's as much or better than most Jeeps or Land Cruisers, from what I hear, towing no trailer, and I have a TON more living space, storage space, overall comfort, and towing ability. Good thing about American made vans when traveling through Central and South America is that parts will be much more readily available, from what I hear, than for imports from overseas.

Last edited:
Reactions: David C Gibbs

N8roro

Rank 0

Traveler I

A full size or extended van would be a great choice especially with 4 wheel drive. Depending on your plans a truck (or van) pulling a RV trailer of whatever size works for you would be another great option. My wife and I attempted to travel the Mexico coast starting in California before we were married in an old motorhome and it was a great experience. We made it to Puerto Vallarta before having to head home, but managed to stretch out the experience for 7 months. Having a shower, toilet, kitchen, storage space, and living space, while not needing to set up camp is great. Gas cost is the trade off and why we did not make as many miles as we wanted. There are RV parks to dump and fill up on water, and we camped remotely as much as possible to save cash and never had an issue. The locals were very friendly day to day and helpful when if got in a jam.

Stock up on maps books and guides before you go, because you won't find them on the road (at least we didn't). The guia roji maps were awesome for us to find remote spots in the days before GPS. The people's guide to Mexico was an interesting read as well.

Good luck on your adventures!

Reactions: Road

cruiseroutfit

Rank V

Influencer II

Yewtah
Having done the drive both directions now in different rigs... my advice, drive whatever you can afford. We tented 95% of the nights on the southbound trip. When we did it northbound years earlier, we camped inside vehicles and/or hoteled it. Both offer unique experiences and I'd repeat in either. I'd also do it in a sedan before I stayed home :D