Can anyone recommend OL/Camping locations not that far from NJ. (it will be my wife's 1st trip)

• HTML tutorial

S4NM4N

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

New Jersey
First Name
J
Last Name
S
Member #

So I posted a thread in the planning section but only got responses on what to do to make sure the wife is comfy. Great advice but I was looking more for areas or parks to research for a visit. I've been out a few times but my wife has not been with me so this will be her 1st time OverLanding/Camping. As per some advice on the other thread I will be pushing the date of this trip back a bit and doing a local camp to see what she may need/want.
I am going to copy/paste what I put in the other thread and hope to get some more help. THANX in advance
J

Trying to plan a trip for late July with the wife. I'm in New Jersey but want to go out of state a few hours. It will be a 4 day trip, leaving Thursday night to drive out to the area staying in a hotel night 1, camping Friday, Saturday nights and returning home on Sunday. So far my choices are Moose River Plains, NY. Bald Eagle State Park, PA. or Allegheny National Forest, PA. I know there are a ton of other options but I haven't gotten that far in my research. I'm not opposed to going south but my one restriction is keeping it around a 6 to 7 hour MAX drive from Central NJ. OK, I have a 2nd and 3rd restriction. Not too intense of a trail and dispersed camping. I do not want to be in a cluster/group of several camp sites.
If anyone could give me some recommendations to research it would be MUCH appreciated.
THANX IN ADVANCE!!!!!
J

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Good afternoon!
For my wife’s first trip we went to the NJ pine barrens. It took us a very scenic 2 hours to get there.
You may want to consider trying out the sites by Godfrey or Hawkin bridge. We stayed one night at Wading Pines. I normally would NOT recommend camping here. The sites are stacked on top of each other and it’s not exactly peaceful.
The bathrooms leave something to be desired, but there is a bathroom… and shop and stuff.
This place sets the bar really low… which turned out to be a great thing.
Despite the shortcomings of the campground she other wise had a great trip and getting home was quick and easy (in case she didn’t).
After the short trip her expectation of being in the middle of nowhere roughing it was not met.
She ended up wanting a more remote experience. She also trusted that I wasn’t going to plan something too crazy moving forward.

The second time I brought her to Camp Taylor. It was much more spread out than Wading Pines. It’s a bit away from the northern sections of TNJT. Bears are real, it’s also on a wolf and wild cat preserve (it’s pretty cool). Also we were able to go on a hike along the preserve to the top of the mountain which has really cool views. The facilities at Camp Taylor are so much better than Wasted Pines. After living in a city for 30 years my wife discovered on this trip she likes the outdoors.

For our 4th trip trip we felt prepared to go south. This trip actually was largely planned by my wife- the menu, activities and the campsite. She found the #1 Rock River Kamp in Luray, VA. I have to say this was a home run. It’s RIGHT next to Peter’s Mill Run, and not far from many places of interest. We had a large camp site all to ourselves. We only saw people when we went to use the facilities in the mornings.

After this she did some shopping and got us some portable bathroom supplies. Our subsequent trips have been dispersed, very successful and she has been excited and engaged for each trip.

I hope this was helpful

Reactions: S4NM4N

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

So I posted a thread in the planning section but only got responses on what to do to make sure the wife is comfy. Great advice but I was looking more for areas or parks to research for a visit. I've been out a few times but my wife has not been with me so this will be her 1st time OverLanding/Camping. As per some advice on the other thread I will be pushing the date of this trip back a bit and doing a local camp to see what she may need/want.
I am going to copy/paste what I put in the other thread and hope to get some more help. THANX in advance
J

Trying to plan a trip for late July with the wife. I'm in New Jersey but want to go out of state a few hours. It will be a 4 day trip, leaving Thursday night to drive out to the area staying in a hotel night 1, camping Friday, Saturday nights and returning home on Sunday. So far my choices are Moose River Plains, NY. Bald Eagle State Park, PA. or Allegheny National Forest, PA. I know there are a ton of other options but I haven't gotten that far in my research. I'm not opposed to going south but my one restriction is keeping it around a 6 to 7 hour MAX drive from Central NJ. OK, I have a 2nd and 3rd restriction. Not too intense of a trail and dispersed camping. I do not want to be in a cluster/group of several camp sites.
If anyone could give me some recommendations to research it would be MUCH appreciated.
THANX IN ADVANCE!!!!!
J
I saw your first thread, amazed how many people only read the title.
Maybe change the title and ask what you are seeking.

I was looking more for areas or parks to research for a visit

The fact it is the first trip with your wife is irrelevant

S4NM4N

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

New Jersey
First Name
J
Last Name
S
Member #

Thank you, both of you @Billiebob and @Dusther210 . I will change the other title and probably this one as well. I am looking into the sites you mentioned Dusther210 right now. I camped in the pine Barron's in 2019 after I got back from my 1st OL (which I had no idea it was what it was called then) trip out west. Camp site was a horrible experience. Like you said one on top of the other, it rained all day and the noise from other campers at night was annoying. I payed to stay 2 nights but left the next morning. But for a local trip I figured it was better than Cheesequake.
Thank You, Thank you, Thank you!!!

Reactions: Dusther210

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
When searching Bald Eagle State Forest. Bald Eagle State Park is something totally different.

Pine Creek area is a bit closer to NJ and has motorized sites and lots of great nature.

I have a few threads here about Bald Eagle State Forest. It is probably the best offering in the area for the experience.

We like site 47 and 61 or 62.

47 is just up from a picinic area that does have a toilet.. Just incase the wife does not want to go like a bear.

Here is a link to all the dispersed camping in PA.

Any questions ask...glad to try to help. Also check out my trip planning threads.

Good luck

S4NM4N

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

New Jersey
First Name
J
Last Name
S
Member #

@Dusther210 Thank You for the GREAT Camp Taylor recommendation. I took the wife Thursday-Saturday morning and she loved it. I asked her on the ride home what she rated it out of 5 and she gave it a 5. Other than the humidity it was a perfect camp. We hiked up to the Wolf preserve on Friday but it was closed. No wolves visible from the fence line either. We made our way back down to the camp and I took a quick stroll in the pond, not a swim but walked in up to my chest and took a quick rinse. Wife took a pass though. Saturday she went for another hike and wound up getting a distant view and pic of a wolf while I stayed back and packed up camp. We stayed at site 86 and it turned out to be a great site. No bears but wild turkey were running around like they owned the place. We will definitely be revisiting but may try another camp site still close to home for our next one, maybe PA or upstate. Gotta work her into hitting some trails and camping out in the middle of nowhere. Few pics attached, crappy res though.
Anyway THANX Again!!!
20210716_134132.jpgResized_20210717_083132.jpgResized_20210716_122832.jpg20210716_062858.jpg

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
@Dusther210 Thank You for the GREAT Camp Taylor recommendation. I took the wife Thursday-Saturday morning and she loved it. I asked her on the ride home what she rated it out of 5 and she gave it a 5. Other than the humidity it was a perfect camp. We hiked up to the Wolf preserve on Friday but it was closed. No wolves visible from the fence line either. We made our way back down to the camp and I took a quick stroll in the pond, not a swim but walked in up to my chest and took a quick rinse. Wife took a pass though. Saturday she went for another hike and wound up getting a distant view and pic of a wolf while I stayed back and packed up camp. We stayed at site 86 and it turned out to be a great site. No bears but wild turkey were running around like they owned the place. We will definitely be revisiting but may try another camp site still close to home for our next one, maybe PA or upstate. Gotta work her into hitting some trails and camping out in the middle of nowhere. Few pics attached, crappy res though.
Anyway THANX Again!!!
View attachment 204677View attachment 204678View attachment 204679View attachment 204680
So glad to hear it was a good trip! Sounds like a pretty epic time

dlsilver

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Ewing, Mercer County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dina
Last Name
SilbernagelKrohne
Member #

Anyway THANX Again!!!
View attachment 204677View attachment 204678View attachment 204679View attachment 204680
Camp Taylor is one of our favorites! Hit the Mount Tammany trail using the fire lane behind the campground for a 9 mile round trip hike or the trailhead off route 80 for a 3-4 mile hike. The view is amazing!

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Awesome! I was curious about site 47. PA DCNR has a note “Near vista”
On the motorized site map you posted...you can see the red of the vista symbol under the yellow 47.

It is that close lol.

If you have the regular day use map you can see it.

If you have the Purple Lizard Maps...you will see the Purple lizard denoting it.

Attachments

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I highly recomend getting the Loyalsock Bald Eagle and Rothrock maps at the least.

Loyalsock is a bit closer to NJ and Bald Eagle and Rothrock SF are connected.

The Pine Creek map would be a great idea too.