Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

We are tent campers. We have a backpacking tent and a much larger, six-person tent. In the backpacking tent, the dogs seem to end up climbing on top of us. Not sure how that evolved, but I usually end up curled up on the edge of my sleeping pad and the rest of it is occupied by one or more dogs.

When using the larger tent, the wife and I use cots and the kids use an inflatable mattress. The mattress is large enough for the kids and dogs, so there usually isn’t too much squabbling over space.

We just do our best to make sure the dogs are generally clean before letting them in the tents. The hair is bad enough but we don’t want any freeloaders joining us for the night if we can help it.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I like the fact it is rechargable. Unfortunately not waterproof. My pup would ruin it on the first hike with any body of water nearby.
I am going to look into the chem light idea.
I've camped with dogs most of my life. My brother uses this on his Lab ( drawn to water like a rare earth magnet to steel ) http://tinyurl.com/ycpw64sk

As long as your dog is not a chewer you can use Glow Necklaces like these http://tinyurl.com/y6wt5dqg We use these when scuba diving at night so I know they are waterproof. Check your local dollar store as that is where I've been getting mine over the last few years in packs of 8-10 for a dollar.

Boort

Last edited:
Reactions: Ironhide Fx4

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

I have my Doberman that goes with me on camping trips. I have an Oztent and he has giant mat that he sleeps on in the Jeep and I just transfer it to the tent at night for him to sleep on by my cot. If we are out in middle of nowhere and it's just us he runs around off leash around the camp. If we are someplace that there are allot of people near by I pull 20 or so ft of synthetic winch line out and connect his leash via climbing carabiner to the Pro Link and he just moves around the camp area.