Camping in SD

• HTML tutorial

Jpat14

Rank 0

Traveler I

Virginia Beach, VA, USA
Member #

I’ll be traveling through South Dakota this summer. I don’t know too much about the state at all. I want to check out the badlands, black hills, and sturgis areas. What else should i do? I’m up to go anywhere worth the trip.

Ldstruckn

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Ivins, Utah, United States
First Name
joseph
Last Name
johnson
Member #

Service Branch
US ARMY
Custer state park connects to wind cave via a great overlanding road that covers prarie, forst, altitude. Wild buffalo, wild horses, antelope, etc...great camp grounds or just through down the tent anywhere pretty.

Reactions: Jpat14

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

We did a trip this last summer to Co, Wyoming, and SD. Custer SP was huge and lots of wildlife. The Badlands were sort of a let down, cool to see but a one and done. The badlands campground was nice but the showers were nasty to the point I skipped it. You will be close to Devils Tower in Wyoming which was really cool. Campsite was about a 1/4 mile from the tower which made a fantastic backdrop. There is a trail where you can hike from the campsite to and around the tower. 1/2 way up to the tower we found a small cave you could sit in and see the entire valley. Mt Rushmore was a bit too touristy for me but that was a Wife decision. Wyoming also had tons of wildlife hundreds of deer and bison along the road. Have agreat and safe trip!

Attachments

Jpat14

Rank 0

Traveler I

Virginia Beach, VA, USA
Member #

Wow. Those pictures are great! Is the campsite at devils tower paid or free? Any good trails around there?
I agree with Rushmore. But i figured we need to at least stop by to say we saw it haha

Ldstruckn

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
joseph
Last Name
johnson
Member #

Service Branch
US ARMY
20170423_133622.jpg
Sorry about multiple posts..i have big hands and a little phone. Anyway 2 pics of sylvan lake near rushmore and one of reptile gardens near rapid city. My son highly recommends reptile gardens

Ldstruckn

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
joseph
Last Name
johnson
Member #

Service Branch
US ARMY
I just moved to cheyenne about 4 or so hrs south. Blackhills have been our favorite vacation spot for years. So we used to drive 19hrs to get there, its that sweet.

Reactions: Flipper

Jpat14

Rank 0

Traveler I

Virginia Beach, VA, USA
Member #

Man I’m excited. I’ve never been. Would it be practical to camp in Custer and do the black hills during the day or is there decent dispersed camping or trails in the black hills?

Ldstruckn

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
joseph
Last Name
johnson
Member #

Service Branch
US ARMY
You can camp anywhere in the forest as long as your more than 100ft from water. Also great campgrounds all around the town of custer. I believe sylvan lake has a campground and it a must see. Great hiking and rock climbing or kayaking. So beautiful that my friend had her wedding on its shores. If you want to see it beforehand you can watch the movie National Treasure. The scene where they're on rocks throwing water trying to find the hidden Eagle imprinted on the Rocks is Sylvan Lake

Jpat14

Rank 0

Traveler I

Virginia Beach, VA, USA
Member #

Nice! I’ll look that up right now. I may have to add a couple days just to explore that area. Decent trails in the forest? We’ve got a roof top tent on the truck

Ldstruckn

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
joseph
Last Name
johnson
Member #

Service Branch
US ARMY
There is a local offroading club out of rapid that should have a website and be able to help w trail locations and usability

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Wow. Those pictures are great! Is the campsite at devils tower paid or free? Any good trails around there?
I agree with Rushmore. But i figured we need to at least stop by to say we saw it haha
I think it was only $20 per night, it is worth at least a 2 night stay. The one pix looking out of the cave is the campground, it is the round group of light colored trees in the middle. Here is a pix from the campground to the tower. You are also allowed to use generators. I would give it 5 stars.

Attachments