• HTML tutorial

giarc1234

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Spanaway, WA
Member #

What about this: KampRite Double TentCot
In Australia they often pitch their swags on a stretcher (cot), this is the same idea but in one package.
I have 3 of the single "tent Cots" I got them for free at some point and have used them once in 6 years. They work pretty well. Take up a bit of room but easy to set up and pretty comfortable.

Reactions: Roxxie and Mike G

Trail_Blazer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Reno, NV
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Kenney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6KYQ
I worry about this every time I camp, but with the exception of certain obvious high-value items (any electronics, guns if I've brought them of course), I've always left my camp set during day excursions. It's a gamble, I guess, but I've yet to have anything stolen. I usually camp in the same spot for multiple days, so re-packing daily isn't really an option.

That said, one of the reasons to have a relatively fast/light setup is so you can pack and go without hassle. I dunno, like I said, I worry about it every time...
I'm concerned about the same issues. But I always pack everything and take it with me when we venture out in the Jeep. Many times we find a better place to camp down the trail, then we don't have to go back. I have never not found a good camping place, as I avoid campgrounds 99% of the time. If we are going out for the day, on-foot, we have several options within the vehicle to secure our valuables. We have two steel locking drawers under the front seats, we have a steel locking glove compartment, and we have steel locking center console between the front seats. These are made by Tuffy Security and are really strong. Does that mean someone can't break in and steal our stuff? Of course not, but they'll have to work at it. Thieves are generally opportunists. They want to grab and run, so they are not going to spend time trying to open these compartments, when it would be faster to just steal the jeep.

Reactions: Roxxie

Username Not Found

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oceanside, CA
Member #

Keep a spare set of keys hidden somewhere on your rig. I use a locking carabiner because the magnetic key holders can fall off on bumpy roads or water crossings.
I know that this is an older post but I thought that I'd share this:
upload_2017-6-16_7-23-29.jpeg
It's what I use and I love it. Granted I generally am not towing anything.

Username Not Found

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oceanside, CA
Member #

Haven't quite gotten the hang of rubbing two sticks together to get a fire going so I bring my Snowpeak butane-powered blow torch to get coals going, start a camp fire, weld a crack in the bumper, etc.
I keep a propane or MAP torch in my camping gear tote for when I have to start a fire in wet conditions.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I keep a propane or MAP torch in my camping gear tote for when I have to start a fire in wet conditions.
went camping with a firefighter friend of mine, he also brought one of those along. Was a smart idea.

Side note, his fire building skills were just as good as his putting out skills... We experimented with the chimney method mostly.

Reactions: Roxxie and Mike G

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I worry about this every time I camp, but with the exception of certain obvious high-value items (any electronics, guns if I've brought them of course), I've always left my camp set during day excursions. It's a gamble, I guess, but I've yet to have anything stolen. I usually camp in the same spot for multiple days, so re-packing daily isn't really an option.

That said, one of the reasons to have a relatively fast/light setup is so you can pack and go without hassle. I dunno, like I said, I worry about it every time...

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

I went with this one because we already have butane readily available for the Jetboil. It's a little touchy with the fine-tune control though but it does the job. You can hear this thing from 50 yards away.

snowpeak.jpg

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

I was browsing through some photos in the forum and it jogged my memory about this tip, although it's more food transport than gear.

We've had our share of broken eggs in the cooler while en route to camp locations. Those hard cases sold at REI work but are bulky. I don't care so much that I can't have sunny side up eggs so what we do is crack a bunch into a bowl (6-12 eggs), season, take a beater to them, and funnel into a glass bottle. It's easy and saves quite a bit of space in the cooler. Makes a good omelet too!

I've used a similar concept with a Blender Bottle. Works well also but a little messier. The irregular shape doesn't work well in our small cooler.

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I was browsing through some photos in the forum and it jogged my memory about this tip, although it's more food transport than gear.

We've had our share of broken eggs in the cooler while en route to camp locations. Those hard cases sold at REI work but are bulky. I don't care so much that I can't have sunny side up eggs so what we do is crack a bunch into a bowl (6-12 eggs), season, take a beater to them, and funnel into a glass bottle. It's easy and saves quite a bit of space in the cooler. Makes a good omelet too!

I've used a similar concept with a Blender Bottle. Works well also but a little messier. The irregular shape doesn't work well in our small cooler.
Good tip! Using ziplocs and freezing flat works well, too. Then you have "ice" to keep the other goods cool at the front end of the trip.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

I did something similar just last week. I used a plastic water bottle (aquafina or similar), squeezed it, then sucked the eggs through the funnel into it. Once all the eggs were in the bottle I capped it and shook it. Scrambled eggs in a very sturdy non-spillable container.

EDIT: fast forward to 4:50 for the egg tip. I do also vacuum seal my meat which is great!

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

it's hard to start a fire early in the morning with that thing... but it does really work well
I've learned since that I need to have medium-sized kindling to make it really effective and not empty the butane cannister. I used to try and start up large blocks of wood which didn't usually work well.

Sometimes, if I didn't want to whip the Snow Peak out, I'd use those 14g Esbit fuel tablets. They burn long enough to get medium-sized kindling going pretty well.