Camp coffee!

• HTML tutorial

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Aeropress - no electricity needed, makes good coffee. Heat the water on the stove and make coffee with it. We also have a Handpresso, which does need electrical power, does make better espresso than the Aeropress, but which we didn't bother to take on our last big trip (no need for two coffee makers).

Our Plan B (if we were to lose or break the Aeropress) is a "coffee sock" - I'm not sure what this is called outside Colombia, but its a fine mesh bag in a holder which looks like a strainer - packs down to more or less no space and gives give coffee on a drip method.

We too try locally roast coffees wherever we go.

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pathfinder I

Sacramento, California, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HAM - KN6TKY & GMRS - WRQT727
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
Aeropress - no electricity needed, makes good coffee. Heat the water on the stove and make coffee with it. We also have a Handpresso, which does need electrical power, does make better espresso than the Aeropress, but which we didn't bother to take on our last big trip (no need for two coffee makers).

Our Plan B (if we were to lose or break the Aeropress) is a "coffee sock" - I'm not sure what this is called outside Colombia, but its a fine mesh bag in a holder which looks like a strainer - packs down to more or less no space and gives give coffee on a drip method.

We too try locally roast coffees wherever we go.
I’m going to have to look that one up! Haven’t tried the aero press yet…

Reactions: Ubiety

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pathfinder I

First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
I use a percolator if I’m traveling with the teardrop. If not, some kind of instant.
My father-in-law uses a percolator every single day I always look forward to going over there and having that coffee! 

Ocean_Ranger

Rank VI

Expedition Master I

Santa Barbara, CA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Pickton
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6SRP (GMRS WROQ518)
It’s August and I’ve been spending time in the desert. Before my trip I make drip coffee, fill three 16oz mason jars, and freeze them. They work as a great substitute for ice and keep my cooler cold. As they melt I am able to enjoy iced coffee on hot days.

Todd S.

Rank VII
Investor

Navigator I

Los Gatos, Santa Clara County, California, United States
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Sacchi
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YWP
I use a percolator if I’m traveling with the teardrop. If not, some kind of instant.
When I am out there I use a percolator. When I was a kid, my Mom would brew coffee in one. I would watch it wondering how it worked. Still haven’t figured it out. Brings back great memories.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I’m going to have to look that one up! Haven’t tried the aero press yet…
I just switched from a French press to the aeropress. Packs up smaller, makes one cup at a time and that one cup is far superior tasting to the French press. Aero press has at least a couple models, normal/household and more compact camping. I ordered the camping version but received the normal version - I just leave the extra pieces at home and it occupies very little space.

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pathfinder I

First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
It’s August and I’ve been spending time in the desert. Before my trip I make drip coffee, fill three 16oz mason jars, and freeze them. They work as a great substitute for ice and keep my cooler cold. As they melt I am able to enjoy iced coffee on hot days.
That’s a great idea!!!

Joel_E

Rank IV

Traveler III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Edelman
Member #

What are you guys doing for camp coffee! Poor overs, French press, instant, and what kind of coffee are y’all drinking! Am I the only one that picks up a bag from every trip to try?!
I go with the pour over method, using freshly ground beans. I use a simple/basic blade grinder plugged into my power station to grind the beans. It's a little noisy, but it really only takes around 8-10 seconds and if needed I can grind inside the car with doors closed to not disturb anyone close by.

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pathfinder I

First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
What are you guys doing for camp coffee! Poor overs, French press, instant, and what kind of coffee are y’all drinking! Am I the only one that picks up a bag from every trip to try?!
I go with the pour over method, using freshly ground beans. I use a simple/basic blade grinder plugged into my power station to grind the beans. It's a little noisy, but it really only takes around 8-10 seconds and if needed I can grind inside the car with doors closed to not disturb anyone close by.
We grind our coffee every morning typically at home but when we go camping I grind my coffee ahead of time for the weekend do you notice a difference with the beans being same day fresh i don’t but maybe I’m not getting good enough coffee. It sure is nice having those power stations. When he was ours all the time but I never thought about grinding our coffee with it.

Reactions: Shahn

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pathfinder I

First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
With all the positive feedback about the aero press, I went ahead and ordered one and I’m gonna give it a shot. I’ve been a French press person for 20 years let’s see how this aero press stacks up!

Attachments

Joel_E

Rank IV

Traveler III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Edelman
Member #

We grind our coffee every morning typically at home but when we go camping I grind my coffee ahead of time for the weekend do you notice a difference with the beans being same day fresh i don’t but maybe I’m not getting good enough coffee. It sure is nice having those power stations. When he was ours all the time but I never thought about grinding our coffee with it.
I keep the beans in the bag they came in, and then put that inside a zip lock bag where I push out as much air as I can from the bag before sealing. This is the same method I use at home. To my taste, the beans stay fresh for quite a while.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
With all the positive feedback about the aero press, I went ahead and ordered one and I’m gonna give it a shot. I’ve been a French press person for 20 years let’s see how this aero press stacks up!
Aeropress cleanup is super quick and easy and can be done without water if you desire. Let us know how you like it.