Psfracer

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Fercho
Well, I went to Alabama Hills (Lone Pine, CA - just outside Mt Whitney Portal and Mt Whitney) this weekend.

Looks like the rumors were true. As you are heading up movie road, all sites to the left (west) are day use only. No more overnight camping. A lot of the sites to the right of movie road (east) are day use only as well. Very limited spots for overnight camping. That sucks. I used to go to Alabama Hills all the time and stay a few days. Apparently a lot of tent campers were leaving trash and dirty toilet paper around (I am told) so they closed the majority of the spots to overnight camping. FAIL. This was an awesome place to camp and it was free.

Of course you could stay relatively close by at Lone Pine campground, but Alabama Hills was perfect for the larger RVs/Toy Haulers and we could use the ATVs. Was also a favorite spot of ours for astrophotography, climbing, and an awesome view of Mt Whitney.

We are off to southwest Utah in May - and I believe when we move to SW Utah, we will spending a ton of time out there with so much to see. But the Eastern Sierra has always been a favorite area of ours (between Lone Pine to Mammoth). Sad to see one of my favorite areas be crossed off the list.

9EFDD54B-02F7-4C46-8FCE-5F27A630E06F.jpeg8B1C2793-2954-4CDC-8705-A302D9BD3A38.jpeg268F9502-B8CA-4058-B79D-DF5BD00DB82F.jpegDDC62093-A1A6-4A66-A8B7-70EB3B032D77.jpeg16F4F98C-53DD-47B5-8337-403EAA867A56.jpeg

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

It's a shame that places get closed off or otherwise have their access altered. It's a struggle here in NZ, too. But, it's the old joke, "This is why we can't have nice things!" Ignorant people (maliciously ignorant or obliviously ignorant) do ignorant things that ruin it for people who don't. Hopefully it is just a temporary measure and not a permanent change.

Reactions: HighVoltOverland

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Bummer, I've camped there also and enjoy picking it out in old Westerns. I feel the overwhelming of "covid campers" had a lot to do with it. Have fun in UT!