Slapout, Alabama, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Pyron
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WSEY306
Hello Everyone, I am very new to Overlanding and would welcome ideas and/or suggestions on how to build up my Frontier for Overlanding. Everything from suspension, racks, tents, electrical, comms, and anything else to get my truck kitted out. I would love to hear some DIY and low-budget ideas that some of y'all have done. I am also interested in meeting people from my home state of Alabama. Thanks.

Attachments

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Love the D41!

As far as mods, you really don't need much. Good tires is about it.

Get a quick pitch tent, or a swag, and just use basic camping gear. I wouldn't recommend modding the vehicle until you start encountering obstacles that you can tackle. Carry a decent toolkit, a few spare parts (tie rods, belts, air filter), and get out there.

My frontier is unmodified, but it's not my wheeling rig. That duty belongs to my 03 xterra, which is heavily modified.

You're not going to know what you need until you've gotten out there a bunch, and found out what doesn't work for you, and also what does. I'd hate for you to drop 3k on a rooftop tent, only to find out you hate it.

Comms are good if you're in a group, but not necessarily needed if you're solo. Unless you have a ham license. That being said, a gmrs handheld is certainly the cheapest option. My wife and I both carry one in our rigs, along with a Midland mxt275 15w base station.

Reactions: Scott_3ba81a

Scott_3ba81a

Rank II

Contributor I

Slapout, Alabama, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Pyron
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WSEY306
Love the D41!

Get a quick pitch tent, or a swag, and just use basic camping gear. I wouldn't recommend modding the vehicle until you start encountering obstacles that you can tackle. Carry a decent toolkit, a few spare parts (tie rods, belts, air filter), and get out there.

My frontier is unmodified, but it's not my wheeling rig. That duty belongs to my 03 xterra, which is heavily modified.

You're not going to know what you need until you've gotten out there a bunch, and found out what doesn't work for you, and also what does. I'd hate for you to drop 3k on a rooftop tent, only to find out you hate it.

Comms are good if you're in a group, but not necessarily needed if you're solo. Unless you have a ham license. That being said, a gmrs handheld is certainly the cheapest option. My wife and I both carry one in our rigs, along with a Midland mxt275 15w base station.
Thanks for all the great suggestions! I just recently upgraded to the D41. I had a 2016 Frontier King Cab 4x4 and traded it in for my 2023. It had 192K miles on it. I got $8K for my trade. Of course it helped that I had all the body work done and got it repainted!

I have seen quite a few Xterras all kitted out and was amazed what you are able to do with them. You’re right about the truck top tents. The more I think about them the more I realize that the older I get the harder it will be to get down from it!

Plus, I already have a 2, 4, and 6-man tents. My son and I used to do a lot of camping before the Covid stuff and now he is in college and we don’t have the time like we used to, but we will be doing more in the next year as we are already thinking of a trip to Wyoming in August to September time frame.

We are trying to visit every state. He has about 25 more to visit and I have only ten left! I appreciate your help!

Scott_3ba81a

Rank II

Contributor I

Slapout, Alabama, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Pyron
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WSEY306
Love the D41!

BTW, is your username in reference to to the Firefly series?

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
BTW, is your username in reference to to the Firefly series?
Maybe......

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I just recently upgraded to the D41. I had a 2016 Frontier King Cab 4x4 and traded it in for my 2023. It had 192K miles on it. I got $8K for my trade. Of course it helped that I had all the body work done and got it repainted!

I have seen quite a few Xterras all kitted out and was amazed what you are able to do with them. You’re right about the truck top tents. The more I think about them the more I realize that the older I get the harder it will be to get down from it!

Plus, I already have a 2, 4, and 6-man tents. My son and I used to do a lot of camping before the Covid stuff and now he is in college and we don’t have the time like we used to, but we will be doing more in the next year as we are already thinking of a trip to Wyoming in August to September time frame.

We are trying to visit every state. He has about 25 more to visit and I have only ten left! I appreciate your help!
This is a great plan. I really wanted to wait for the D41, but my previous truck was in good running order at 200k, for a chevy, so I got rid of it while I could. Replaced it with a 2013 Frontier Pro4x with about 70k miles several years ago. The only thing I've had to replace is my crankshaft position sensor (which is super easy, btw).

Just don't fall into the mod hype. If you're not going on super technical stuff, you don't need a lift. RTT's only make sense if you're going out about every month, and moving everyday on those trips. Then I feel like you get your money out of them. I didn't want one initially, but my wife talked me into it. I actually really like them, but for me, I feel like they work better on a small trailer than a vehicle, especially if you do more base camping that moving every day type trips. That being said, wife is planning on doing some solo trips this next year, so we moved it from my Xterra to hers. When I go out solo, I take the square drop.

Scott_3ba81a

Rank II

Contributor I

Slapout, Alabama, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Pyron
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WSEY306
Maybe......

This is a great plan. I really wanted to wait for the D41, but my previous truck was in good running order at 200k, for a chevy, so I got rid of it while I could. Replaced it with a 2013 Frontier Pro4x with about 70k miles several years ago. The only thing I've had to replace is my crankshaft position sensor (which is super easy, btw).

Just don't fall into the mod hype. If you're not going on super technical stuff, you don't need a lift. RTT's only make sense if you're going out about every month, and moving everyday on those trips. Then I feel like you get your money out of them. I didn't want one initially, but my wife talked me into it. I actually really like them, but for me, I feel like they work better on a small trailer than a vehicle, especially if you do more base camping that moving every day type trips. That being said, wife is planning on doing some solo trips this next year, so we moved it from my Xterra to hers. When I go out solo, I take the square drop.
You make a great point about the RTT and how often I use it. I currently will not be able to spend that much time out in the "wild" to make it a feasible purchase, but maybe in the future. It is great to hear that you and your wife like overlanding together and separately. I have been a single dad for about 15 years now, and most women I have encountered are more "cityfied" and do not like roughing it much. Which is fine as my son and I really like going camping and now we are expanding to overlanding.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
You make a great point about the RTT and how often I use it. I currently will not be able to spend that much time out in the "wild" to make it a feasible purchase, but maybe in the future. It is great to hear that you and your wife like overlanding together and separately. I have been a single dad for about 15 years now, and most women I have encountered are more "cityfied" and do not like roughing it much. Which is fine as my son and I really like going camping and now we are expanding to overlanding.
My daughter is 8, and LOVES camping with me. She gets mad if I go without her, but she understands this is how dad gets his alone time.

My wife has been more of a natural progression. She started off going on day trips with me, then we started doing overnight trips. She drove off road for the first time a few years ago, on a really easy road. Then I started letting her choose whether she wanted to drive the Fronty, or the X.

Then we did the Idaho BDR last year.... She had so much fun, when we got back, she bought her 02 X all by herself.

She's decided it's time to start building it and getting some mods installed now. Everything that happens to the rig is her call. I'm merely here to provide insights and help facilitate things.

I just wanted her to go with and be comfortable, but she's all in at this point, which is amazing.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Definitely just get out and use it first before planning any mods . Everybody has a different idea of what “off-road” is so everyone is going to need to modify a little differently if at all to get the places they want to go . A good set of tires , some recovery gear and some basic tools will take you a lot of places .

Scott_3ba81a

Rank II

Contributor I

Slapout, Alabama, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Pyron
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WSEY306
My daughter is 8, and LOVES camping with me. She gets mad if I go without her, but she understands this is how dad gets his alone time.

My wife has been more of a natural progression. She started off going on day trips with me, then we started doing overnight trips. She drove off road for the first time a few years ago, on a really easy road. Then I started letting her choose whether she wanted to drive the Fronty, or the X.

The we did the Idaho BDR last year.... She had so much fun, when we got back, she bought her 02 X all by herself.

She's decided it's time to start building it and getting some mods installed now. Everything that happens to the rig is her call. I'm merely here to provide insights and help facilitate things.

I just wanted her to go with and be comfortable, but she's all in at this point, which is amazing.
That is awesome!! You have a keeper! would love to see some pics of the rig mods. I have been looking at what people have been doing with new equipment and DIY equipment which is giving me some ideas. I am trying to things slowly and as the budget allows.

Scott_3ba81a

Rank II

Contributor I

Slapout, Alabama, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Pyron
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WSEY306
Definitely just get out and use it first before planning any mods . Everybody has a different idea of what “off-road” is so everyone is going to need to modify a little differently if at all to get the places they want to go . A good set of tires , some recovery gear and some basic tools will take you a lot of places .
Thanks for the tips!! I hope to put some mud on the tires this weekend and take notes on what I may need or not need mod-wise.

IdahoGrizz

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buhl, ID
Member #

Love the D41!

I haven't been active on this site for a long time but plan to step up. I noticed you have an Xterra. I have had some highly modified rigs in the past, but recently purchased a 2011 Xterra Pro-4X and love it. I plan to replace the springs and shocks but with only a moderate lift. Love the rig so far. One of the best I've ever owned. Also what motivated me to reply to your post is that you are from Caldwell. I live in Buhl (just west of Twin Falls). Are there any Idaho subgroups on the forum. Thanks. IdahoGriz (Tracy) Thanks.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Thanks for the tips!! I hope to put some mud on the tires this weekend and take notes on what I may need or not need mod-wise.
Oh if you’re gonna be heading off-road the first real upgrades should be skid plates , sliders and a winch . A rock or big stick in the oil pan , trans pan or radiator can really ruin a day

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
That is awesome!! You have a keeper! would love to see some pics of the rig mods. I have been looking at what people have been doing with new equipment and DIY equipment which is giving me some ideas. I am trying to things slowly and as the budget allows.
You can see my build via the link in my signature, but it doesn't so up on mobile, so here it is:

I haven't been active on this site for a long time but plan to step up. I noticed you have an Xterra. I have had some highly modified rigs in the past, but recently purchased a 2011 Xterra Pro-4X and love it. I plan to replace the springs and shocks but with only a moderate lift. Love the rig so far. One of the best I've ever owned. Also what motivated me to reply to your post is that you are from Caldwell. I live in Buhl (just west of Twin Falls). Are there any Idaho subgroups on the forum. Thanks. IdahoGriz (Tracy) Thanks.
I don't want to hijack his thread, so I'd be happy to answer any questions if you create a new thread. ;)

Oh if you’re gonna be heading off-road the first real upgrades should be skid plates , sliders and a winch . A rock or big stick in the oil pan , trans pan or radiator can really ruin a day
Generally, I would agree with this statement. I, however, still don't have skids on my Xterra. I would say with something as nice and expensive as the D41, I would 100% agree skids should be a necessary mod.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

You can see my build via the link in my signature, but it doesn't so up on mobile, so here it is:

Yeah, it’s funny my entire life and all the vehicles I’ve had. I’ve only put a skid on two or three of them granted they were more rock crawlers and I never have had an issue but I happened to just hit a Sandune a little too wrong and a little to fast that I didn’t know was there and completely buckled in my skid plate on my frontier, so that’s gonna be next on my to do list

I don't want to hijack his thread, so I'd be happy to answer any questions if you create a new thread. ;)

Generally, I would agree with this statement. I, however, still don't have skids on my Xterra. I would say with something as nice and expensive as the D41, I would 100% agree skids should be a necessary mod.