Slapout, Alabama, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Pyron
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WSEY306
Hello Everyone, I am very new to Overlanding and would welcome ideas and/or suggestions on how to build up my Frontier for Overlanding. Everything from suspension, racks, tents, electrical, comms, and anything else to get my truck kitted out. I would love to hear some DIY and low-budget ideas that some of y'all have done. I am also interested in meeting people from my home state of Alabama. Thanks.

Attachments

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Love the D41!

As far as mods, you really don't need much. Good tires is about it.

Get a quick pitch tent, or a swag, and just use basic camping gear. I wouldn't recommend modding the vehicle until you start encountering obstacles that you can tackle. Carry a decent toolkit, a few spare parts (tie rods, belts, air filter), and get out there.

My frontier is unmodified, but it's not my wheeling rig. That duty belongs to my 03 xterra, which is heavily modified.

You're not going to know what you need until you've gotten out there a bunch, and found out what doesn't work for you, and also what does. I'd hate for you to drop 3k on a rooftop tent, only to find out you hate it.

Comms are good if you're in a group, but not necessarily needed if you're solo. Unless you have a ham license. That being said, a gmrs handheld is certainly the cheapest option. My wife and I both carry one in our rigs, along with a Midland mxt275 15w base station.