BoldAdventures 2015 Ram Power Wagon Build

• HTML tutorial

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Thought I would post this here, because, why not. This is from about 3 weeks after we bought our Power Wagon. We had a friend get his 5th wheel stuck in sand near Lake Mead in Nevada. Then he got his Ford stuck in the sand. At the time, we were desperate to get him and his family out of the sand. Neither of us had a recovery strap. And I employed some improper technics to get him out. But how much can a Ram pull? See for yourself.

Now for some considerations.

1. Never tow with a winch line. When you introduce a quick, sudden load to a winch, that’s called a “shock load.” Imagine taking a piece of rope in both hands, then quickly pulling it taught - that’s a shock load. Shock loading is very stressful on a winch’s internals. Proper winching gradually places a load on the winch, which is how it is designed to be used. You should never use a winch rope for towing due to shock loading.

2. Always use a proper tow strap for towing. For those attempting a recovery with a strap, be sure to have the proper unit as well. Recovery ("snatch") straps will have a bit of elasticity to them that allow for that rubber-band effect that aids in recovery. Tow straps do not have that elasticity.

Polyester recovery straps stretch only about 2-3 % at full 100% tug, which is a predictable characteristic for a controlled pull. You can more easily predict how the strap will react under load, which means you can more easily prevent damage to the vehicles involved in the recovery. The downside of this characteristic is that the strap will jerk when the line becomes taut; the force of the jerk can damage frames, bumpers, and other tow points. It’s also safer at its limit because it doesn’t recoil – there’s nothing to snap back because it doesn’t stretch.

Nylon straps stretch like a rubber band (Hooke's Law). They are good to use when you need a running start, especially when traction is poor - for example, if you’re pulling a vehicle out of sand, mud, loose gravel, or snow and ice. They are also good to use when the vehicle making the recovery doesn’t have enough power to tug from a standstill. Nylon has give built into it and is not braided but bundled to allow stretch without twist. Its resilience permits the pulling vehicle to obtain momentum to aid in the tug. Of course, this means "stored energy" and if it breaks, some risk. If and when the strap does break, it can damage vehicles or injure bystanders.

3. Never tow in reverse. This is less of a safety issue, and more of a "don't break your vehicle" consideration. Your 4WD transfer case is not as strong in reverse as it is in first, or second gear. If it is possible, turn your vehicle around and recover the stuck 4WD going forwards. Another weak link are your pinions and ring gears in the differentials - recall their design and how they are cut? They are designed for severe load conditions going forwards, not reverse, and because of that design are subject to slippage, breakage, and failure. Avoid becoming a casualty and contributing to the problem.

I know perfect recovery situations aren't always possible, but bear these weaknesses in mind and you won't be up for a new gearbox. Or worse, a candidate for a Darwin Award.

iamsuperdan

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Stony Plain, AB
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Clark
Member #

Really liking this thread. I have a 2017 Power Wagon. No performance mods yet, and really don;t see a need for them as so far it's done everything I've asked it do to.

The big test comes i na couple of weeks, when we hook up the trailer for two weeks of camping in southern BC.

crit_pw

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Silt, Colorado
Member #

KEEPING SCORE

Not a huge decal guy. But this felt appropriate. Need to get a top decal made to the effect of 6th Annual Power Wagons in Moab...

Also added American Adventurist decal, fit us.

Never wanted decals on my rig till I met you and your awesome family. I admit I did copy your layout with the Moab stickers but it looks great and starts lots of conversation everywhere I go!

anotheraznguy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Tracy, Ca
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZZN
Great looking build, can't wait to see what you do with your rooftop tent design. Are you looking at a 4 person one?

Eric Haltom

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Mesa, Maricopa County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Haltom
Last Name
Family
Member #

Thanks a lot. Here's a sneak peak at what is coming! I've got a 23Zero RTT showing up today. Along with some goodies from Baja Designs, and as soon as my friends welder shows up, we're starting a custom RTT project and rear bumper.

View attachment 29606

View attachment 29607
sweet, I look forward to seeing what u come up with. Are u going to use a pipe bender to get the curves?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mitch Pedersen

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

This is my truck with full gas, two adults, 2 kids in car seats, all my tools and gear, generator, 4 water cans empty and two 5.5 gallon gas cans full. We were full time. Should be lighter now.

Attachments

anotheraznguy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Tracy, Ca
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZZN
Yeah you are only about 150 lbs away from being max gross of 8510 if the ram site is correct. Even though we have full size trucks it seems to be really easy to get to max capacity. Are you concerned with the extra weight of the rear bumper / tire carrier / rtt / bed rack? Even losing some weight here and there would barely offset the added gear.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Yeah you are only about 150 lbs away from being max gross of 8510 if the ram site is correct. Even though we have full size trucks it seems to be really easy to get to max capacity. Are you concerned with the extra weight of the rear bumper / tire carrier / rtt / bed rack? Even losing some weight here and there would barely offset the added gear.
I should be closer to 500lbs less now that I am not living out of my truck. I lived on the road for two years towing the Airstream. A lot of gear I was hauling around. The PW is derated compared to the standard Ram 2500 Hemi which has a GVWR of 10000. Most of us assume this derating is for liability because of soft coils and the factory lift. Axle ratings are the same. Tires have enough. So, I'm not too concerned. I'll see were she is when we get done. I made some changes to our Airstream, so both setups need a trip to the Cat Scales again to dial things in.

----

In other news, things have showed up today.

2017-07-20-13.07.10.jpg
2017-07-20-13.06.46.jpg
2017-07-20 14.04.03.jpg

Last edited:

anotheraznguy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Tracy, Ca
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZZN
Since you are going w/ the thurens are you going to add some overload air bags with like a daystar cradle in the back to prevent that Corlina squat?

Eric Haltom

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Mesa, Maricopa County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Haltom
Last Name
Family
Member #

I should be closer to 500lbs less now that I am not living out of my truck. I lived on the road for two years towing the Airstream. A lot of gear I was hauling around. The PW is derated compared to the standard Ram 2500 Hemi which has a GVWR of 10000. Most of us assume this derating is for liability because of soft coils and the factory lift. Axle ratings are the same. Tires have enough. So, I'm not too concerned. I'll see were she is when we get done. I made some changes to our Airstream, so both setups need a trip to the Cat Scales again to dial things in.

----

In other news, things have showed up today.

View attachment 29624
View attachment 29625
View attachment 29626
My neighbor has a 23 zero, that thing is nice. Very good quality. I bet you're as ghitty as a school girl at a Jonas concert right now. I know I'd be.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Since you are going w/ the thurens are you going to add some overload air bags with like a daystar cradle in the back to prevent that Corlina squat?
Nope, not yet. I'm doing fronts only, conducting an experiment. Going to see what results just the fronts, with stock rears and King 2.5's get me. Adjust from there.

I've been asking around about various setups and no one seems to have a straight answer. So I'm just going to have to experiment and record the results.

crit_pw

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Silt, Colorado
Member #

W
Nope, not yet. I'm doing fronts only, conducting an experiment. Going to see what results just the fronts, with stock rears and King 2.5's get me. Adjust from there.

I've been asking around about various setups and no one seems to have a straight answer. So I'm just going to have to experiment and record the results.
Why does it seem like you and I and a very few select others are the guinea pigs for modding out the newer PW??:sunglasses:

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

W

Why does it seem like you and I and a very few select others are the guinea pigs for modding out the newer PW??:sunglasses:
It's funny, Marcus came here to help do this build. And I was just talking to him about how no one really seems to have the exact specs on these springs. They're the same height as the PW springs unloaded, but they're 20% softer according to Don, whatever the hell that means exactly. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ And we're taking off the sliders and I mentioned, we should measure the fenders to see if the weight of the sliders pulls the truck lower or not. So I am hoping to take a crap ton of measurements and other details and hopefully be as thorough as you were with the gear install.

Reactions: crit_pw

crit_pw

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Silt, Colorado
Member #

It's funny, Marcus came here to help do this build. And I was just talking to him about how no one really seems to have the exact specs on these springs. They're the same height as the PW springs unloaded, but they're 20% softer according to Don, whatever the hell that means exactly. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ And we're taking off the sliders and I mentioned, we should measure the fenders to see if the weight of the sliders pulls the truck lower or not. So I am hoping to take a crap ton of measurements and other details and hopefully be as thorough as you were with the gear install.
Definitely looking forward to your details. My sliders will be going on soon, got to get some days off and get back to the house first. Then hoping to start on my bed rack. By the way super jealous of all the parts you have coming in right now! Cant wait to see how it all comes out.

Reactions: OffroadTreks

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

While working at TJM USA we did a new suspension system for the 2016 Ram 2500 Diesels. It was a 4.5' lift - the amount of measurements and weights we took for Australia to just start the spring and shock development took us 6 hrs or so. So measure - measure and weigh it all before and after.

TJM does suspension at two or three levels depending on the vehicle. Usually a 4" lift for stock weight, then another for 4" lift with 300 added pounds and they may do another for an added 500lb or so.

All have different spring rates and shock rates for the finished vehicle weights. The issue for making a system for them is all based on demand for each system as to weather or not they will make it. When we finally got the Ram 2500 system for testing we received 3 sets of spring 2 sets of shocks and two suspension engineers from Australia to help out. One of the engineers revalved the shocks during the testing to get the ride correct for road and off road use.